SportsWrath

Giants won the coin toss - will open new stadium

BleedinBlue

you have to love the idea of a "secret coin toss". I think Woodie has a point.

I was thinking the same thing. "Here, there's a 50:50 chance you win.....wait here til I come back and tell you how you made out". Pretty shady stuff.

Giants and Jets to both play home games at new Meadowlands stadium Week 1

stadium031510jpg-14c442993bf68822_large.jpg

The Jets pushed and pushed and pushed to play the first home game at the new Meadowlands Stadium, even settling for a 50-50 coin toss. And when that didn't work, they kept on griping.

In the end, they got their Week 1 home game ... one day after the Giants play theirs.

The NFL announced this afternoon both teams will play home games in the first weekend of the 2010 regular season: the Giants on Sunday afternoon, the Jets on Monday night.

"After extensive discussions with both teams, we have come up with what we believe is a unique approach for celebrating the opening of the new Meadowlands Stadium," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement.

Those discussions (read: exchange of gripes) resulted in Goodell's deciding both teams had a reasonable case to play the first home game in the stadium they'll share. Of course, they couldn't possibly do it on the same day, so Goodell flipped a coin to determine which team would play first. Interestingly, the NFL's press release says Goodell flipped the coin last Friday, one day before the Jets posted on their web site a coin flip was to come.

In the end, both teams got to open the season at home. This will mark the first time that has occurred since 1991 when the Jets played the Bucs on Sunday, and the Giants hosted the 49ers on Monday night.

The opponents for the Giants and Jets will be announced "soon," according to the league. Again, the release said the Giants will play on Sunday afternoon, which means they won't be NBC's game of the week.

The Jets' opener will mark the first Monday night game played at the Meadowlands since Dec. 26, 2005, when the Jets hosted the Patriots. The past two years, there have been no Monday games in East Rutherford because of construction-related concerns with traffic and parking on a workday.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/03/giants_and_jets_to_both_play_h.html

You know, it was one thing (as much as I hated it) when we were renting to the Jets. It really sucks that they own half the place. Giants should have moved alittle upstate, and sold the swampland to the Jets. I hate NJ.

Cause we don't play the Jets this year. We play the AFC South this season.

Yes, thank you Columbo for breaking that code for me. But I was think maybe the NFL can make an exception this year. Maybe of playing against the Seahawks this year, we can play the Jets instead.

Yes, thank you Columbo for breaking that code for me. But I was think maybe the NFL can make an exception this year. Maybe of playing against the Seahawks this year, we can play the Jets instead.

Ok but whose the home team? Do they turn the green or the blue lights on?

Ok but whose the home team? Do they turn the green or the blue lights on?

The Jets are a playoff team....we, despite winning the SB 2 yrs ago are a team in transition.

do you really want to substitute the Seahawks for the Jets?

Let them open on Monday night....we suck on Monday nights

Face it with the #1 D, O-Line, and running game in the NFL the Jets are right now, the better team......reality bites

We need a light schedule in the beginning of the year to work in new starters, and get the rust off injured players

Really all this fuss over who opens a jointly owned stadium is ridiculous......like a mud fight in the Our Gang comedy series

Why can't they just open the new stadium against each other?

Let's say for a moment I'm a Jets fan, and you're a Giants fan. We both hold season tickets that we paid umpteen thousands of $ for the PSL.

Which one of us gets the seats?

I'm sure Goodell doesn't want to get in the middle of that mess.