SportsWrath

Jets to release Thomas Jones

BronxRik

Jets tell veteran RB Jones that he will be released Friday

NFL.com

The New York Jets have informed running back Thomas Jones that they will release him Friday, when the new NFL year begins, general manager Mike Tannenbaum announced in a statement.

"Thomas joined us three years ago and has been a productive, passionate leader both on and off the field who has served as a positive influence for our younger players," Tannenbaum said Monday.

There has been no secret about Jones' future in New York, with the veteran due a $3.3 million roster bonus and scheduled to make $2.8 million in base salary next season.

Jones rushed for 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns last season as the Jets made the playoffs as a wild-card team. However, the team then leaned heavily on rookie Shonn Greene, who gained 304 rushing yards in three playoff games.

"When I got here, Thomas immediately became one of my guys," Jets coach Rex Ryan said in the team-issued statement. "He had one of his best years last season -- might have been his best. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a player and a person.

"This is one of the tough decisions we had to make for our organization."

Jets to release Thomas Jones

Think we might be interested?

Why would the Giants want to be interested?

What's there not to like? BJ lacks confidence right now. He's a bruiser and every bruiser pays a price for his bruising.. by way of injury. Thomas Jones can be the super good version of Derrick Ward. This will bring back what's that saying again? Earth... Fire .. milkawhat?

What's there not to like? BJ lacks confidence right now. He's a bruiser and every bruiser pays a price for his bruising.. by way of injury. Thomas Jones can be the super good version of Derrick Ward. This will bring back what's that saying again? Earth... Fire .. milkawhat?

I'm pretty sure "Earth, Wind and Fire" should of been called "We're nothing without great O-line blocking"

Reeses Moto was to get younger . not offer a contract to every on that was over 30 A running back no less and recently cut

A 30 year old who rushed for 1,400 yards and 14 TD's last season. What did Jacobs rush, like 3.7 a carry?

I'm not saying he'll average that every year, or that we should sign him, I just posted the article for postings sake.

A 30 year old who rushed for 1,400 yards and 14 TD's last season. What did Jacobs rush, like 3.7 a carry?

I'm not saying he'll average that every year, or that we should sign him, I just posted the article for postings sake.

Since our main focus in the draft will be MLB, I think we end up signing a very good veteran either at RB which I think is likely or someone like Darren Sharper just in case our safety doesn't come back 100% of find a way to get them on the field together. I just think since Derrick Ward left us, our running game suffered. The OL will be fine.

Not to mention there's talk of moving Ahmad Bradshaw, Andre Brown is unproven and basically still in his rookie season, Danny Ware wouldn't be able to handle the number 1 backup role, and, like you said, Brandon Jacobs is the biggest question mark on this team next to Osi, IMO.

Reeses Moto was to get younger . not offer a contract to every on that was over 30 A running back no less and recently cut

LOL, he carried for over 1400 yards and 14 touchdowns! Nearly two years in a row! Do I need to even post Brandon Jacobs effectiveness?

Seriously, does anyone here watch any football other than the Giants?

LOL, he carried for over 1400 yards and 14 touchdowns! Nearly two years in a row! Do I need to even post Brandon Jacobs effectiveness?

we do but we all have horrible football i.q.'s

we do but we all have horrible football i.q.'s

I think I'll start asking Hugh for his football opinions...he could at least tell me about players on the Dolphins.... :ph34r:

I think we make a push for some FA running back this offseason....I wouldn't want Tomlinson, but Thomas Jones would be a good fit for a year or two.

i just think with our current needs, the money we would pay jones would be better going elsewhere, like safety, linebacker or dt.

although drafting cj spiller in round 1 would make me a happy giants fan.

I saw enough to know he ran behind 3 all stars and he lost his starting job to a rookie by the end of the season, how about you?

I saw enough to know he ran behind 3 all stars and he lost his starting job to a rookie by the end of the season, how about you?

to be fair, he saw less carries in the post season because his body started to wear out...the result of carrying 310 times over the course of the season. about 100 more carries in a season than the overrated jacobs has had...the dog still thinks he has something left in the tank, and could be a good fit for most teams, including the giants...

Jones is like the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL. No matter how well he does he still gets let go. I think there will be a lot of veterans cut this year since there is no cap hit. I would think the Redskins will be very interested as Portis is constantly getting hurt and they like older players.

to be fair, he saw less carries in the post season because his body started to wear out...the result of carrying 310 times over the course of the season. about 100 more carries in a season than the overrated jacobs has had...the dog still thinks he has something left in the tank, and could be a good fit for most teams, including the giants...

they cut him. so he lost his job to a rookie.