SportsWrath

Giants' Steve Smith Recieves Letter From Plaxico Burress

Mr. P

Steve Smith has received scores of fan letters this season, from the doubters he has proven wrong to the fantasy football geeks he has turned into winners. But one sticks out from the rest.

It arrived from Oneida Correctional Facility in upstate New York, from prisoner No. 09R3260.

From an old teammate he has helped everyone forget.

“I hear you’ve been doing really good,” Plaxico Burress wrote. “I’m really proud of you.”

Plaxico. Remember him? Tall guy. Soft hands. Helped the Giants win a Super Bowl one season, then sabotaged a possible run the next when he accidentally shot himself in the leg.

He is long gone and, in most ways, long forgotten, too. The one-year anniversary of the nightclub shooting that, for now and the foreseeable future, ended his NFL career came and went two weeks ago without much fanfare.

Nobody around the team talks about Burress anymore. Why would they? The Giants have had their share of problems, but despite concerns in training camp, receiver play is not on the list.

They have moved on. So, yes, Smith was surprised when receivers coach Mike Sullivan brought in two letters from Burress to a recent meeting. The exiled star wrote one to Smith specifically, then addressed all the receivers in another. He offered tips and suggestions but most of all, Smith said, support.

“I wouldn’t think that he’d care too much anymore,” Smith said. “But it shows he still has his heart with us, too.”

Burress told Smith to spend extra time studying film and working on the Jugs machine after practice — ironic advice coming from a guy who treated meetings and practices as strictly optional.

No one needs to tell Smith to work hard. The third-year pro wouldn’t be in the NFL if he didn’t do that on his own. Still, he appreciated the words anyway and wrote back immediately.

“I just told him I was thinking about him, that I’m glad he’s doing good and keeping his head up as

good as he can,” he said. “Unfortunately, he missed his baby’s birth. That’s tough.”

Burress won’t get sympathy from Giants fans, but at least in Smith, they have a rising star to replace him.

No development this season has been more important than Smith’s ascent to the No. 1 receiver. He already has 78 catches, needing just five more to break Amani Toomer’s team record set in 2002.

A supposed weakness has become a strength. The running game is suspect and the defense gives up gobs of yards, but a franchise that hasn’t manufactured a Pro Bowl receiver since the Johnson Administration (that’s Homer Jones after the 1968 season) might have another.

Smith has 979 yards — more than Larry Fitzgerald, the Arizona superstar. He has more receptions that all but three players, his name above Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, and on and on.

He has done it as the anti-Plax, without great speed or size, but an uncanny skill for running precise routes and knowing how to get open. Eli Manning usually looks his way first, for good reason.

“I try to stay away from all that,” Smith said when asked if he ever looked at his numbers. “I’ve got friends and family who always text me and let me know what’s going on. I try to tell them, ‘Leave me alone.’”

Staying grounded shouldn’t be difficult. Smith is one of the most soft-spoken players on the team — almost shy, really — to the point that when people recognize him off the field, he still wonders, “What are they looking at?”

That is changing now. The Giants will face the Eagles on Sunday night, the team that knocked them out in the first round last season. No team has done a better job bottling up this Burress-free offense than the Eagles have.

This game is another test for Smith. He hasn’t caught a touchdown pass in a month, dropping a sure one in the fourth quarter that would have iced the victory against the Cowboys last week.

Smith can no longer be just a pleasant surprise if the Giants are going to make a playoff run. He has to be the guy now, a target who makes plays no matter what defense he is facing.

His pen pal from that upstate New York prison knows what that means. Burress may not have forgotten about Steve Smith, but Smith is making everyone forget about him.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/12/politi_steve_smith_making_ny_g.html

I hope Buress is setting the stage for his return. For all his off-field antics and him throwing his hands up after Eli overthrew his 6'5 frame time and time again and giving up on plays, he was still a pretty integral part of our offense....the one guy you could truly call a gamebreaker on our team...we don't really have one anymore...

I dunno about God...but this was God-LIKE:

GiantsSports.jpg

hehe

It just came out Burress is eligible for a special work release program that requires he spend one night per week in a halfway house but can report for work every day....there was a loophole that if you did not fire a gun in anger or to commit a crime you can be in this program

he would be eligible to play in the NFL....If the commish allows it

That would limit him to playing for teams in the NY/NE/PA/DC Area I would think.....likley the Jets or Bufflao

Actually Plax's demise openned it up for the young receivers and all have all pro potential

It just came out Burress is eligible for a special work release program that requires he spend one night per week in a halfway house but can report for work every day....there was a loophole that if you did not fire a gun in anger or to commit a crime you can be in this program

That would limit him to playing for teams in the NY/NE/PA/DC Area I would think.....likley the Jets or Bufflao

Actually Plax's demise openned it up for the young receivers and all have all pro potential

Still, none of our guys have the TD numbers to be all pros....I feel you on Steve Smith, but I honestly think he's gonna be snubbed for someone like Miles Austin or Sydney Rice (even though Rice has similar numbers to Steve) ...he's having a very Amani Toomer-esque season and we all know how many Pro Bowls he had...

I'm trying to think of NFC Wide Receivers who will be Pro Bowl locks...I got Larry Fitzgerald is all though...AFC has much better WRs...

Still, none of our guys have the TD numbers to be all pros....I feel you on Steve Smith, but I honestly think he's gonna be snubbed for someone like Miles Austin or Sydney Rice (even though Rice has similar numbers to Steve) ...he's having a very Amani Toomer-esque season and we all know how many Pro Bowls he had...

I'm trying to think of NFC Wide Receivers who will be Pro Bowl locks...I got Larry Fitzgerald is all though...AFC has much better WRs...

No I just meant all 3 have the explosive potential to be al pros eventually

Plax was already in all pro territory

sad story there

Ironic fact about Plax #374 - Steve Smith is going to finish with better numbers this season than Plax Burress ever had as a Giant.

Plax Burress - 76 catches for 1214 yards and 7 TDs

Steve Smith - 104 catches for 1305 yards and 7 TDs (projected)

Why the media continues to suck Plax's cock like he was Jerry Fucking Rice is beyond me. :huh:

Ironic fact about Plax #374 - Steve Smith is going to finish with better numbers this season than Plax Burress ever had as a Giant.

Plax Burress - 76 catches for 1214 yards and 7 TDs

Steve Smith - 104 catches for 1305 yards and 7 TDs (projected)

Why the media continues to suck Plax's cock like he was Jerry Fucking Rice is beyond me. :huh:

i don't miss him at all but we miss his body and we miss his threat. Plax did that all with a great deal of double coverage and his presence opened it up for Toomer and Shockey to get theirs. As well as the running game. Smith is having a great year but he's not nearly the same threat.

Jack get real, no one's gonna pay to have a guy filling up a roster spot who could go back behind bars at a moment's notice. IF Plax makes it back tot he NFL it won't be until all this is well behind him.

Jack get real, no one's gonna pay to have a guy filling up a roster spot who could go back behind bars at a moment's notice. IF Plax makes it back tot he NFL it won't be until all this is well behind him.

jerry jones would do it

and lend plax his private jet every 7 days too

i don't miss him at all but we miss his body and we miss his threat. Plax did that all with a great deal of double coverage and his presence opened it up for Toomer and Shockey to get theirs. As well as the running game. Smith is having a great year but he's not nearly the same threat.

I'd agree except that statistically, I"m pretty sure Toomer and Shockey had their best seasons BEFORE Plax got here.

I understand with Toomer due to age, but Shockey should have been setting the world on fire instead of bitching when a pass went over his head.

I said it before he left and I'll say it again: we're better off without him.

Alrthough I love Plax for what he helped bring, I dont miss him. Not now after I see what we actually have. Smith is doing great and Hakeem Nicks is the next big thing IMO.

I want Plax back. I want us to be part of a great story.. of the troubled receiver who was given a 2nd chance.. by the very organization that brought him here.... man all you gotta do is look at his performance in the frozen tundra... if that performance doesn't make a case for the man and I don't know what would. If you think what we have now is good, imagine Plax added to it... Bring back the warrior.. bring him back Reese.

Alrthough I love Plax for what he helped bring, I dont miss him. Not now after I see what we actually have. Smith is doing great and Hakeem Nicks is the next big thing IMO.

Something about that guy, every time I see him step on the field I can hardly stop smiling.

He's playing better than Manningham, he needs to get into the starting line-up.

I want Plax back. I want us to be part of a great story.. of the troubled receiver who was given a 2nd chance.. by the very organization that brought him here.... man all you gotta do is look at his performance in the frozen tundra... if that performance doesn't make a case for the man and I don't know what would. If you think what we have now is good, imagine Plax added to it... Bring back the warrior.. bring him back Reese.

We were already part of a great story and he was a big part of it, but it's time to move on.

You would think that everyone would be happy that the "hand waving brothers" are no more.

We were already part of a great story and he was a big part of it, but it's time to move on.

You would think that everyone would be happy that the "hand waving brothers" are no more.

I don't know man, I guess I feel Plax is a good dude and I wan't him to retire a Giant.

I don't know man, I guess I feel Plax is a good dude and I wan't him to retire a Giant.

I agree. I wont mind Plax back....infact Id want him back. Tough chance though. He is still twice the threat that any of our current WRs and constantly demanded double coverage which none of our WRs are able to draw.

Let's no forget that it was far more than just the shooting that made Plax a problem. He'd received more team fines than catches up to that point in the season. The shooting was a symptom, not the cause of the issue.

Exactly.

Do you know why I wouldn't want Plax back for a "second chance?" Because it wouldn't be his "second chance." It would be his 87th chance.

Yeah, NOW he's a changed man. Whatever.

We're better off without him. That guy was a clown.