SportsWrath

Canty out of game vs. Cowboys

NeMesiS

This was a great investment...

NFL.com

Calf injury will keep Giants DL Canty out of game vs. Cowboys

NFL.com Wire Reports

Chris Canty's return to Dallas will have to wait.

Chris Canty, DL

New York Giants

Career Statistics

Games/Starts: 65/50

Tackles: 150

Sacks: 10

The New York Giants defensive lineman missed practice Thursday with a calf injury, and a league source told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora that Canty will not play in Sunday night's game against the Cowboys.

Canty, who left the Cowboys to sign with the Giants as a free agent this offseason, was hurt in practice Wednesday and will miss a game for the first time in his five-year NFL career. He received treatment Thursday while the Giants practiced.

Giants starting safety Kenny Phillips (knee) returned to practice on a limited basis Thursday and had a couple of interceptions. Michael Johnson, the other starting safety, missed his second practice with a shoulder injury, but coach Tom Coughlin believes the third-year pro has a chance to play. Linebacker Michael Boley (hip) showed improvement and has a shot at playing, according to Coughlin.

...people are REALLY gonna be pissed when he does come back and we all realize... he's not very good anyway.

Still scratching my head over that signing. Why did we give him better-than-Tuck money when he's got a whopping zero Pro Bowls under his belt?

...people are REALLY gonna be pissed when he does come back and we all realize... he's not very good anyway.

Still scratching my head over that signing. Why did we give him better-than-Tuck money when he's got a whopping zero Pro Bowls under his belt?

Obviously the FO thought he has the talent.. and I've grown trusting of our FO.. and besides we plucked him away from Dallas.

i don't think that the pro bowl is an accurate measure of success. sack totals get pro bowls but a guy can do the work in the trenches and not get recognized.

i don't think that the pro bowl is an accurate measure of success. sack totals get pro bowls but a guy can do the work in the trenches and not get recognized.

That's what I mean. We paid him "Pro Bowl," "sackmaster," etc. money, and he's a run-stuffing (i.e. dime-a-dozen) DT. We probably could have gotten a guy that'll do a similar job on the cheap.... Canty isn't worth Tuck money... sorry, he's just not. It was a weak DT market and we overpaid for the guy.

I hope I'm wrong... but five sacks playing next to Demarcus Ware? :wtf:

That's what I mean. We paid him "Pro Bowl," "sackmaster," etc. money, and he's a run-stuffing (i.e. dime-a-dozen) DT. We probably could have gotten a guy that'll do a similar job on the cheap.... Canty isn't worth Tuck money... sorry, he's just not. It was a weak DT market and we overpaid for the guy.

Giants put a high value on "lunch pail guys" as do i. i'm not saying he is worth it yet, but if he turns out as solid as fred robbins, i'm happy. these guys do the work so the ends can grab the headlines. you see sack artists numbers suddenly dwindle when these guys leave the team.

You do understand he was playing a different role and one of the reasons why Demarcus Ware picked up 20 sacks. Chris Canty was the second best DT on the market and at 26 years old and coming into his prime, an excellent free agent signing. Don't get all caught up with money and pro bowl appearances.

You do understand he was playing a different role and one of the reasons why Demarcus Ware picked up 20 sacks. Chris Canty was the second best DT on the market and at 26 years old and coming into his prime, an excellent free agent signing. Don't get all caught up with money and pro bowl appearances.

I dunno man... every game I watched had Ware drawing the double teams, not Canty.

Or maybe I'm just having Kenny Holmes flashbacks... the guy who never produced but was "young and we're getting him in his prime."

I also got to witness Canty... take a bad angle and get outrun by a punter last Sunday. On TV it looked like he was blocked, but he basically ran right into the block.

Ugh. Not impressed so far.