SportsWrath

Problem with Osi?

Allstarjim

As for Sheridan I don't know about this guy he does not seem like much of a Player coach He wants to be in the booth . They players want a coach on the side lines . We have an exceptional D that needs a high spirited coach I feel Sheridan may be our week link.

I totally disagree with this notion that the DC can't be effective from the booth. Not all coaches have the same style, and there's no one style that works best. Let Waufle handle the ra-ra's on the sideline, the DC need to see the whole picture clearly not massage player's egos between series. If the booth provides a better understanding of the offensive schemes then he should be up there.

Just another reason Osi is my current favorite player, and I sport his jersey the majoity of the time. :wub:

I just tweeted this to William Beaty He said you are now off his friends list ........... ohhhh and also he said no Christmas card for you either.

On the floor of the Giants' locker room Tuesday, being trampled by the occasional foot, was the breakdown of the defensive players' grades from last week's loss to the Jets. It's a rundown of the number of "pluses" and "minuses" the coaches have given to each player for each play.

The sheet indicated 25 pluses, five minuses for Osi Umenyiora's 30 plays. That's a very good ratio -- even better than the 23 pluses, 8 minuses for Justin Tuck.

So it's not like defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan could have had a lot of criticisms for Umenyiora in Monday's meeting, after which the two-time Pro Bowl end left the team's facility in protest. And anyone aware of Sheridan's approach knows he couldn't have been that harsh in his scolding.

None of it made sense.

Not even to the central figure involved.

"It was so stupid and trivial for me to do that," Umenyiora told reporters Tuesday after practice. "Sometimes when you get emotional, things happen like that. It was nothing that should have escalated to that point. I was the one who made it go that route.

"It was very minuscule and when I think about it, I can't believe I acted that way."

Tuesday was apology day for Umenyiora, who spoke to his teammates on an individual basis and also suffered the consequences by being fined by the team. He declined to say how much, but the Nigeria native did say it "would feed a lot of Africans."

Still, the players did as much as they could to lighten the mood by placing "wanted" posters, offering $1 million for information leading to Umenyiora's whereabouts, around the facility.

"Osi, you weren't here (Monday)?" Tuck joked midway through his session with reporters as his fellow starting end walked by. "Where did you go, man?"

Not surprisingly, coach Tom Coughlin wasn't yucking it up as much as the players.

"We sat down, we had an opportunity to say what needed to be said," Coughlin said. "He was very good about it, he was humble, he indicated he knew he was wrong and he apologized. We had some thoughts exchanged about going forward.

"It was very good that Osi did come in. That issue's been resolved. We put that behind us and we're moving forward."

Sheridan was unavailable for comment, as assistant coaches are made available to the media only sporadically on previously scheduled dates.

Umenyiora said he won't pull a similar stunt in the future -- now that he realizes the repercussions and the seriousness of the situation. He said he was surprised he received text messages from "people who thought I was dead." (It's tough to blame those people for worrying after the Plaxico Burress situation last year.)

"If I'd have known it was going to be all this, I would've done something real bad," Umenyiora said with a laugh.

Umenyiora downplayed any rift between himself and Sheridan, saying he wouldn't even classify this situation as a "disagreement."

Frankly, this isn't even close to the first time a player has gotten mad at a coach. In Bill Parcells' time with the Giants, it was a daily occurrence. Even this current group of Giants faces daily frustrations.

"I get mad when the sun doesn't come out a lot here," linebacker Antonio Pierce said. "I get mad when we lose a game. I get mad at a lot of things."

Yet, he's never stormed out of the facility.

"Team first, team last, team always," he replied.

Said Tuck, "We have flare-ups all the time. That's one of the reasons why this D-line room is so chaotic, is because 'Wauf' (defensive line coach Mike Waufle) encourages them. We have them daily with him."

But usually it stays in the meeting room. Umenyiora promised that will be the case from now on.

"I've known Bill (five) years. This isn't my first time having a conversation with him," Umenyiora said. "It was just the first time I took it that way and it's definitely the last time.

"I know better. I think everybody's allowed one mistake. This was my one big mistake and I'm not going repeat something like that ever again."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/09/osi_umenyioras_angry_departure.html

in fairness to sheridan, he is taking over for a highly successful, highly bloved d-coordinator that many credit for their SB win two years ago...the dog guesses he is trying to establish himself, somewhat in a misguided way. that being said, osi is a grown man and a veteran...he needs to act like it. his agent said it was an internal matter - is seized to be an internal matter the second he stormed off the facility and made it a production...

Well said, Dog. Thanks for the constructive debate.

umm, the dog isn't sure whether or not you suffer from a reading disability or don't know what the third person actually is, but either way, your wrong...will you be following through with the agreement now?

Dammit, Dog. :angry:

::::Karate chops the Dog and kicks Bigblue in the nuts ::: :cool: