SportsWrath

Problem with Osi?

Allstarjim

LINK-ESPN

Coughlin: Umenyiora had unexcused absence

August 31, 2009 4:36 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

In an odd story that is still developing, New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora showed up to the practice facility in the Meadowlands on Monday morning and then left without an explanation. During his daily news conference Monday, coach Tom Coughlin sounded pretty convincing when he said he didn't have any information as to why Umenyiora left before Monday's practice, speculating that it might be something of a "personal nature."

And you thought the Giants got rid of all the drama when Plaxico Burress was released? According to Coughlin, Giants general manager Jerry Reese was able to reach Umenyiora via text. The defensive end told Reese that he was OK, but apparently declined to provide an explanation for his mysterious departure. As far as I know, there's no history of Umenyiora doing anything like this.

Asked whether he's concerned about Umenyiora's absence, Coughlin said, "We'll see. We'll have to talk to him when he gets back. Obviously he's not here, so we're concerned."

It's never a good idea to put your head coach in a position where he looks flat-footed in front of the media. And that's the way Coughlin looks right now. Here's hoping Umenyiora has a legitimate reason for leaving work early. We'll keep you posted as this story continues to develop.

According to http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/08/ny_giants_defensive_end_osi_um.html

He's PO'ed at Sheridan.

Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora left the team Monday after a disagreement with defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan, according to someone informed of Umenyiora's reason for leaving the facility.

The person, who requested anonymity because the Giants and Umenyiora's camp haven't discussed the matter publicly, said Sheridan criticized Umenyiora for making a mistake in Saturday's game against the Jets The two-time Pro Bowl selection didn't confront Sheridan, but was clearly upset enough to leave without letting the team know why he was departing. The person also said Umenyiora believed Sheridan was "contradicting" himself.

The person informed of Umenyiora's reason for leaving said the two-time Pro Bowl selection hasn't gotten off to a great start with Sheridan, the former linebackers coach who replaced Steve Spagnuolo after the former coordinator was hired as head coach of the Rams in January. The person said Umenyiora had not expressed his frustrations with Sheridan before Friday.

"He didn't speak to me before he left," coach Tom Coughlin said.

Someone who spoke with Umenyiora this afternoon said he did eventually talk to Coughlin over the phone. The outcome and tone of that conversation was not immediately clear.

Umenyiora's agent, Tony Agnone, said via text message "it's an internal matter between Osi and the team."

Giants general manager Jerry Reese did not immediately return an e-mail seeking comment.

Umenyiora has expressed his displeasure with the six-year, $41-million contract extension he signed in 2005, but the person informed of his reason for leaving today said money was not part of the issue.

More to come as this story develops.

Osi Umenyiora goes AWOL from Giants

Updated: 6:33 p.m.

Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora stormed out of the Giants’practice facility today, apparently over a disagreement with newdefensive coordinator Bill Sheridan.

A source close to Umenyiora confirmed that was the reason why thePro Bowl defensive end went AWOL from his team and skipped the Giants’practice yesterday afternoon. It was not immediately clear what thesource of the disagreement was, but Umenyiora and Sheridan haveapparently had a bit of an uneasy relationship since Sheridan took overfor former defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

“It’s camp fatigue,” the source said. “They spent way too much time with each other this summer.”

Before Umenyiora left, he did not speak to anyone in the building.He later responded to a text message from GM Jerry Reese, according tocoach Tom Coughlin. A team source said the short message just let Reeseknow that his defensive end was OK.

“Osi was here this morning earlier and there must have beensomething of a personal nature, left,” Coughlin said after practice. “Ihaven’t personally talked to him. He did respond to Jerry, evidently bytext. That’s all I have. I haven’t seen him so I can’t tell you. Ican’t indicate to you what the reason was or anything, because I don’tknow.”

Asked if he considered the absence to be unexcused, Coughlin said “Yeah, he didn’t speak to me before he left.”

Asked how concerned he was, Coughlin said “I don’t know, we willsee. We will have to talk to him when he gets back. Obviously he is nothere, so I am concerned.”

According to a source familiar with the situation, Umenyiora calledCoughlin later in the day and explained why he left. It’s notimmediately clear how the conversation went, or if Coughlin told hisAWOL player to expect any punishment.

Umenyiora’s agent, Tony Agnone, would only say that Umenyiora’sdecision to leave was an “internal matter.” Agnone also confirmed thatUmenyiora would return to the Giants tomorrow.

According to another source familiar with the situation, Umenyiorahad recently grown tired of the way Sheridan has criticized him duringteam meetings. With Umenyiora trying to come back from knee surgery andbelieving he was ignoring his own contract issues to be more of a teamplayer, he felt he didn’t deserve such harsh treatment from his coach.

“It would have to bother you quite a bit for a guy like this toreact like that,” the source said. “I hope that’s a lesson to everyone.He’s a guy who works hard all day and doesn’t say a friggin’ thing.”

It was clear from the outset that Umenyiora’s absence was not injuryrelated. Umenyiora had been attempting to come back after missing allof 2008 with a knee injury. However his knee has looked fine all summerlong and he’s played in the preseason games.

It’s also not believed that his absence is related to his contract.In the past he had expressed unhappiness with the six-year, $41 millioncontract he signed in 2005, but earlier this summer Umenyiora told theDaily News that he doesn’t think about his contract anymore because “I believe that the more I focus on that, the worse a player I become.”

Agnone also insisted that Umenyiora’s contract had nothing to do with why he left the team today.

Injury update

As expected, WR David Tyree (hamstring) and RB Danny Ware (chest)did not practice today. S Kenny Phillips (knee) and LT David Diehl(knee tendinitis) also sat out.

DT Chris Canty (hamstring), LB Antonio Pierce (foot) and LB Michael Boley (hip) all did individual drills.

During practice, G Andrew Carnahan suffered an apparent knee injurywhen another player rolled onto his leg. LT Guy Whimper injured his hipwhen he collided with RB Brandon Jacobs, who is apparently fine.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/08/osi-umenyioras-absence-unexcus.html#ixzz0PntYyTDR

my early returns of Sheridan are not great. I think Mike Waufle is key here as the D line loves him and he needs to be that buffer between Sheridan and the most important part of this defense. Oddly Sheridan was the coach of what has been the weakest link the past few seasons. Anyway this is not a good start to what should be a good season in terms of distractions.

Umenyiora apololgizes for going AWOL

Osi Umenyiora came back to the Giants today and apologized for leaving them in the first place.

The AWOL defensive end returned late this afternoon and apologizedto Tom Coughlin, defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan and defensive linecoach Mike Waufle. When he was done, he issued a public apology throughthe Giants’ public relations staff:

“I made a mistake by leaving the facility today,” Umenyiora’sstatement said. “I was wrong. I came in here this afternoon and metwith coach Coughlin, coach Sheridan and coach Waufle and apologized andexplained why I left the building; that will remain between us. I haveno problem with our defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan or any of ourcoaches. That’s the end of it, as far as I am concerned.”

There was no accompanying statement from any of the Giants coaches,nor was there any word on whether Umenyiora will be punished by theteam.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/08/umenyiora-apololgizes-for-goin.html#ixzz0PoHDsGNz

I'm glad he came back. And I'm glad he's doing the right thing. Now, as for Sheridan...

As a leader or supervisor, you need to know how to deal with certain people. Some people are more emotional than others. Some take criticism well, and some don't. There are different ways to approach different players. You can yell at one player and they will respond well to it, and another player will become withdrawn, embarrassed, angry, and completely miss the point that you were trying to make. As a leader, part of your job is learning how to communicate with those in your charge. I hope Sheridan has learned a more effective way to communicate to Osi after this.

Osi also needs to have thicker skin, but there is only so much any person can take, and it is different for everyone. I would much prefer Osi storm out of the facility and blow off steam and cool down, than take it out on someone there, especially one of the coaches.

I totally agree with XXI that Wauffle needs to be a buffer between Sheridan and Umenyiora. We do not need resentment building up in one of our top players. Osi has been a team player, and has gone through an awful lot in the past year. I'm sure this episode is quite embarrassing to Osi. Hopefully, this will be the low point of the year for him and the Giants.

As for Sheridan I don't know about this guy he does not seem like much of a Player coach He wants to be in the booth . They players want a coach on the side lines . We have an exceptional D that needs a high spirited coach I feel Sheridan may be our week link.

As for Osi I am glad he left as Jim said. Better some times to get away from a situation before yo do something yo may regret later on. Cool off and then return with a level head. Also as a defensive leader Maybe it was be that he didn't "blow " up in front of the team.

let's see how we play Thursday night I hope they get things right

As for Sheridan I don't know about this guy he does not seem like much of a Player coach He wants to be in the booth . They players want a coach on the side lines . We have an exceptional D that needs a high spirited coach I feel Sheridan may be our week link.

As for Osi I am glad he left as Jim said. Better some times to get away from a situation before yo do something yo may regret later on. Cool off and then return with a level head. Also as a defensive leader Maybe it was be that he didn't "blow " up in front of the team.

let's see how we play Thursday night I hope they get things right

in fairness to sheridan, he is taking over for a highly successful, highly bloved d-coordinator that many credit for their SB win two years ago...the dog guesses he is trying to establish himself, somewhat in a misguided way. that being said, osi is a grown man and a veteran...he needs to act like it. his agent said it was an internal matter - is seized to be an internal matter the second he stormed off the facility and made it a production...

in fairness to sheridan, he is taking over for a highly successful, highly bloved d-coordinator that many credit for their SB win two years ago...the dog guesses he is trying to establish himself, somewhat in a misguided way. that being said, osi is a grown man and a veteran...he needs to act like it. his agent said it was an internal matter - is seized to be an internal matter the second he stormed off the facility and made it a production...

FAILED!! You spoke in the 1st person. Your act is over. Turn in your card key. Thanks. :)

FAILED!! You spoke in the 1st person. Your act is over. Turn in your card key. Thanks. :)

umm, the dog isn't sure whether or not you suffer from a reading disability or don't know what the third person actually is, but either way, your wrong...will you be following through with the agreement now?

I don't think Osi leaving made it a production. I think the media did when they reported it, which they were right to do as it is newsworthy. But I think his point was that he's not going to go into it with the media as to the why's and what was said because they want to keep that internal.

But like I said, everyone has a boiling point. If it was either leave or pull a Tom Cable, then Osi did the grown man thing. Sometimes you HAVE to get out of an explosive situation to clear your head and cool off. Seeing as Osi has been a grown man and professional since he's been a Giant, I have to assume that he was at his tipping point and I will never criticize someone for walking away rather than doing something they would later regret.

Therefore, anybody who wasn't in the room and has no knowledge as to what was said between Sheridan and Osi shouldn't be the ones to criticize him.

irony

Thank you, and that one too. K, for those of you to slow to follow along, the dog said "he is taking over for a highly successful........" If he were talking in the 3rd person, he would have said "The dog sees that he is taking over for....." Yes I know what the taking in the 3rd person is. Just like your mom knows what a blowjob contest is doggy.

Thank you, and that one too. K, for those of you to slow to follow along, the dog said "he is taking over for a highly successful........" If he were talking in the 3rd person, he would have said "The dog sees that he is taking over for....." Yes I know what the taking in the 3rd person is. Just like your mom knows what a blowjob contest is doggy.

the dog hopes perhaps one of these "slow to follow" individuals could actually explain this to you...what a frustrating task they will have....ha ha ha ha ha...what a huckleberry you are!

He only needs to replace the pronouns "I" or "me" with "the dog" to continue his speaking in the third person. Many times he throws that in there... but you didn't catch him unless he refers to himself with either "I" or "me". Sorry, BB!

Sheridan is fucking dickwad. He has already become quite unpopular and frankly, doesnt seem like a smart or intelligent person. He is most definitely going to fuck shit up for this D from the booth. I just hope the enormous talent that we have on the D can make up for Sheridan's idiosyncracies. This fuckface is going to be the Defense's Hufnagel.

He only needs to replace the pronouns "I" or "me" with "the dog" to continue his speaking in the third person. Many times he throws that in there... but you didn't catch him unless he refers to himself with either "I" or "me". Sorry, BB!

Bollocks! Youre wrong. :)