SportsWrath

THE SLAMMER

BadEgg

as much as i hate Plex's diva self, that is some BS.. stallworth-a-crap got less than a year for killing someone on DUI, and plex shot himself because he carry a gun to protect himself ?? Steve Smith got rob got him nervous, i don't blame the gun at all.. maybe getting an illegal gun was bad, but dammit,, OJ killed two people and he got free.... this country is worth crap.. bloomberg GFYS.. this is drunk typing.. excuse me..

Is that everything included? Because they get time for good behavior, first time offender, and every state has a different mandatory min. sentence. Like AZ is 85% of your time. With a 2 yr sentence, it seems like he could be out in little over a yr.

Normally you can reduce your sentence in half just for good behavior...

as much as i hate Plex's diva self, that is some BS.. stallworth-a-crap got less than a year for killing someone on DUI, and plex shot himself because he carry a gun to protect himself ?? Steve Smith got rob got him nervous, i don't blame the gun at all.. maybe getting an illegal gun was bad, but dammit,, OJ killed two people and he got free.... this country is worth crap.. bloomberg GFYS.. this is drunk typing.. excuse me..

he got what he deserved...the dog agrees that they really screwed things with other athletes, but they got it right here...the dog is tired of all these athletes walking around doing what they want and being above the law...if that guns goes off at a different angle, someone's young son or daughter is shot dead by a stupid useless baffoon who like all athletes, had people in authority in the organization he played for continue to look the other way or give him small slaps on the wrist time and again for bad behavior which continued to escalate...this is a good thing.

And if that position is any indication, a dude who fucks other dudes in the ass.

FYI court jester, in football, unless it is shot gun or some trickery with the QB going in motion, the common start to every play is with the QB taking the snap from directly behind center...the dog just wanted to point that out to those who obviously don't watch much football or have a minimal concept of the game...

Who said, from the beginning, that Mr. Burress would be in jail?

I feel safer all ready

This is ridiculous.........any non-celebrity would have gotten probation, community service, and a fine.

He did not threaten anyone with a gun.......he is guilty of stupidity, nothing more.

Bloomberg is an idyott

I bet if he throws the big game against the prison guards, they'll let him out in 1 year. If not, he'll be "shot while trying to escape".

maybe this will finally wake him up

he did not deserve this harsh a punishment but everything happens for a reason they say

My only regret is his accomplice got no time, no nothing

He got what he deserved. The law was there, it wasn't some sort of super-secret prohibition; and he broke it. He's getting less than the maximum. What's the problem?

Rather than getting up in arms about how much Burress got, maybe you guys should be up in arms about how little time Stallworth got. There's the injustice.

He got what he deserved. The law was there, it wasn't some sort of super-secret prohibition; and he broke it. He's getting less than the maximum. What's the problem?

Rather than getting up in arms about how much Burress got, maybe you guys should be up in arms about how little time Stallworth got. There's the injustice.

I'm pretty sure that's what half of the posts in this thread have been about, lol...the fact that people like Vick, Stallworth, Leonard Little, Ray Lewis, and the numerous wife beaters in the NFL get off light and Burress, who hurt no one but himself, got the worst sentence of all of them. People that have killed others received less than 1/24 of what Burress is getting. Leonard Little did it twice.

I'm pretty sure that's what half of the posts in this thread have been about, lol...the fact that people like Vick, Stallworth, Leonard Little, Ray Lewis, and the numerous wife beaters in the NFL get off light and Burress, who hurt no one but himself, got the worst sentence of all of them. People that have killed others received less than 1/24 of what Burress is getting. Leonard Little did it twice.

Not really. It reads more to me like a lot of folks are saying "These guys got off light, why can't Burress?"; which isn't the same thing. I'm saying, "Burress got the sentenced he earned; it's ridiculous these other guys didn't." Not worth arguing, though. You and I are on the same page.

Just put yourself in the following scenario.

You pull up to meet a buddy for a couple of beers. You have exactly 2 beers and say you have to get home. I don't know about you, but 2 beers ain't squat to me. I'm pretty sure everyone here feels completely normal not even buzzed after two beers.

So you get in your vehicle and pull out. As you are going down the highway, a crazed dude with a history of mental illness jumps out in front of your car. You have no time to react whatsoever. You were not speeding, you were in your lane obeying all traffic laws. But this guy is laying on the pavement dead. The cops show up and give you a breathalyzer. It reads .08 exactly. You are going to jail.

This is you we're talking about. Put this scenario in your life. You were just out to have a couple of beers with a buddy, and all this happened to you. Would you hope that the courts would consider the facts about your case on an individual basis? Or would you be understanding that you needed to go to prison for 4, 5, or more years because that is the law?

There are crimes committed with intent and crimes committed that had no criminal intent. There are those criminals that knowingly break the law without remorse and those that, through their negligence, ignorance, or other factors found themselves in violation of the law.

It's like speeding... there are those that drag race on public streets, and those that didn't see the speed limit sign had reduced the allowable speed. Both are guilty of speeding. But is one more egregious than the other?

Such is the case with Stallworth, and to another degree, Plaxico. Part of a judge's job is to weigh all the factors and circumstances of the case and make an appropriate judgement that considers the victims and the guilty party. Since you nor I were part of the Stallworth proceedings, it is ignorant for us to say that his sentencing was inappropriate or that justice wasn't done.

From what I have heard of the Stallworth case, he cooperated with law enforcement from the very beginning, and that the guy happened to run out in front of his car. If that is the case, then I think his punishment was probably appropriate.

I think Plaxico's was a little too severe from what we know of his case.

Not really. It reads more to me like a lot of folks are saying "These guys got off light, why can't Burress?"; which isn't the same thing. I'm saying, "Burress got the sentenced he earned; it's ridiculous these other guys didn't." Not worth arguing, though. You and I are on the same page.

Alright, I feel like there are quite a few posters that think along our line...though, I see what you mean. But I can understand the POV that some have that Burress was made an example of and that NYC made it their personal vendetta to put Burress behind bars....someone like Marshawn Lynch committed the same exact crime in California and is eligible to play in two games. Even if it had happened in Buffalo, I doubt he'd have went to jail for Burress-length.

You pull up to meet a buddy for a couple of beers. You have exactly 2 beers and say you have to get home. I don't know about you, but 2 beers ain't squat to me. I'm pretty sure everyone here feels completely normal not even buzzed after two beers.

So you get in your vehicle and pull out. As you are going down the highway, a crazed dude with a history of mental illness jumps out in front of your car. You have no time to react whatsoever. You were not speeding, you were in your lane obeying all traffic laws. But this guy is laying on the pavement dead. The cops show up and give you a breathalyzer. It reads .08 exactly. You are going to jail.

This is you we're talking about. Put this scenario in your life. You were just out to have a couple of beers with a buddy, and all this happened to you. Would you hope that the courts would consider the facts about your case on an individual basis? Or would you be understanding that you needed to go to prison for 4, 5, or more years because that is the law?

There are crimes committed with intent and crimes committed that had no criminal intent. There are those criminals that knowingly break the law without remorse and those that, through their negligence, ignorance, or other factors found themselves in violation of the law.

It's like speeding... there are those that drag race on public streets, and those that didn't see the speed limit sign had reduced the allowable speed. Both are guilty of speeding. But is one more egregious than the other?

Such is the case with Stallworth, and to another degree, Plaxico. Part of a judge's job is to weigh all the factors and circumstances of the case and make an appropriate judgement that considers the victims and the guilty party. Since you nor I were part of the Stallworth proceedings, it is ignorant for us to say that his sentencing was inappropriate or that justice wasn't done.

From what I have heard of the Stallworth case, he cooperated with law enforcement from the very beginning, and that the guy happened to run out in front of his car. If that is the case, then I think his punishment was probably appropriate.

Stallworth's happened at 8 or 9 in the morning, dude. I highly doubt he had only 1 or 2 beers. And if it were me, I'd realize I made a stupid decision and ended up killing a man, not to mention 1 or 2 beers would never register as a .08. A .08 is like 4 or 5 beers...for a normal person. I've had 6 beers before, been pulled over, and breathalyzed and blew a .06. If it were me, the not-famous, poor, paying off loans college student, I would definitely be going to jail for 4-5 years.

Yes, a completely sober man walking to work walked out in front of a drunk Stallworth, if you believe that I have a bridge to sell to you.

Regardless, the man blew a .126. So you are WAAAY off base with this, and you're defending a murderer.

And by the way, the guy didn't "run out in front of Stallworth". He wasn't in a crosswalk, though that doesn't matter, pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way. Stallworth was doing 50 in a 40, and "flashed his lights in warning"....LMAO, he flashed his lights in warning, let's let him off with 27 days in jail. Give me a fucking break.

Didnt Stallworth pay off the family as well? Maybe not "pay them off" but settled an out of court settlement which reduced his sentencing? I thought I read that somewhere.

More then likely I'm thinking the family went "Oh no they were run over and killed?...by Donte Stallworth!?! time to cash in"

the dog thinks this is exactly where this debate shoud end...

Jim,

If I killed a man with my car after drinking, I'd expect jail time. If I were wealthy enough where I could hire a driver for the night without even planning it in advance, it would be even worse. At this point, I either wait until I get home to have a drink, eat food while I'm out, limit my consumption, and hang out while the effects wear off. I'm no saint: I did all the stupid shit when I was younger, but even then, if I committed a crime, I deserved anything that came my way.

The thing is, Stallworth didn't have .08 blood alchohol. From this article:

Though there were questions about whether the traces of marijuana in Stallworth's system and his 0.126 blood-alcohol content were the primary cause of his tragic accident, that didn't prevent him from taking full responsibility for his actions. And Stallworth certainly never sent the message to authorities that he was above the law because he played in the NFL.

Did he show remorse? Yes. Does that bring the other guy back to life, though?

Alright, I feel like there are quite a few posters that think along our line...though, I see what you mean. But I can understand the POV that some have that Burress was made an example of and that NYC made it their personal vendetta to put Burress behind bars....someone like Marshawn Lynch committed the same exact crime in California and is eligible to play in two games. Even if it had happened in Buffalo, I doubt he'd have went to jail for Burress-length.

Sure he was. Rightfully so, there was some shady things going on that night--and you really can't blame the DA for being pissed. And NYC has some out-of-whack laws when it comes to gun possession. But they weren't hidden from Plax, and he didn't get the maximum sentence.

Who said, from the beginning, that Mr. Burress would be in jail?

I feel safer all ready

You should be excited!!

In two years, Jerry Jones will be clamoring to sign this guy. He loves convicted criminals and Plax is a guy that will fit right into the legacy of the Cowboys.

It's a bummer that jerry missed out on Vick but I can guarantee he'll try twice as hard to get Plax because of that!

Stallworth's happened at 8 or 9 in the morning, dude. I highly doubt he had only 1 or 2 beers. And if it were me, I'd realize I made a stupid decision and ended up killing a man, not to mention 1 or 2 beers would never register as a .08. A .08 is like 4 or 5 beers...for a normal person. I've had 6 beers before, been pulled over, and breathalyzed and blew a .06. If it were me, the not-famous, poor, paying off loans college student, I would definitely be going to jail for 4-5 years.

Yes, a completely sober man walking to work walked out in front of a drunk Stallworth, if you believe that I have a bridge to sell to you.

Regardless, the man blew a .126. So you are WAAAY off base with this, and you're defending a murderer.

And by the way, the guy didn't "run out in front of Stallworth". He wasn't in a crosswalk, though that doesn't matter, pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way. Stallworth was doing 50 in a 40, and "flashed his lights in warning"....LMAO, he flashed his lights in warning, let's let him off with 27 days in jail. Give me a fucking break.

I'm not defending Stallworth, I simply put out a hypothetical. I didn't know the facts of the case and didn't claim to know them. I'm just saying that it's the judge's job to weight intent, remorse, cooperation, and the crime and hand out an appropriate sentence where justice is served. You nor I know what really happened that morning or whenever it happened. You don't know if that dude was mentally ill or whatever. Again, I'm not defending him I'm just saying that it's not for me to judge how much of a man's freedom should be taken away... it's the judge's job.

By the way, I'm sure you know that it greatly depends on how fast you drink the beers in succession and how much time has elapsed since you had your last beer or alcoholic drink as it pertains to what you would blow on a breathalyzer, as well as your size.

I'm saying I can drink 4 beers at a normal pace (not pounding them) and feel stone cold sober. I'd probably blow somewhere close to .08.

You should be excited!!

In two years, Jerry Jones will be clamoring to sign this guy. He loves convicted criminals and Plax is a guy that will fit right into the legacy of the Cowboys.

It's a bummer that jerry missed out on Vick but I can guarantee he'll try twice as hard to get Plax because of that!

That's only if they can live with Roy Williams for two whole seasons and don't replace him before then. :lol:

I agree. He should just be thankful he didnt kill anyone, cause he'd be serving alot more time if he did. Other cases with NFL players have nothing to do with thiis. Sure they got off more than light, but that doesnt mean they should have, and it doesnt mean Plax didnt get what he deserves.

Jim,

If I killed a man with my car after drinking, I'd expect jail time. If I were wealthy enough where I could hire a driver for the night without even planning it in advance, it would be even worse. At this point, I either wait until I get home to have a drink, eat food while I'm out, limit my consumption, and hang out while the effects wear off. I'm no saint: I did all the stupid shit when I was younger, but even then, if I committed a crime, I deserved anything that came my way.

The thing is, Stallworth didn't have .08 blood alchohol. From this article:

Did he show remorse? Yes. Does that bring the other guy back to life, though?

So basically, Stallworth didn't act above the law, so the law decided to act like Stallworth was above the law. Even better.

I agree. He should just be thankful he didnt kill anyone, cause he'd be serving alot more time if he did. Other cases with NFL players have nothing to do with thiis. Sure they got off more than light, but that doesnt mean they should have, and it doesnt mean Plax didnt get what he deserves.

But it does mean he was made an example out of while other star athletes get off easy. Where is all the rest of the example setting? Oh, that's right, the offenders are serving 2 game suspensions or are chilling at home waiting to return to football. It's bullshit and you all know it.

The voice of reason -- Burress got what he deserved. And you can't compare it to Lynch, because with Buress, the gun went off in a public place.

On the Stallworth issue, for what it's worth, I read somewhere that the family of the victim was okay with the plea bargain and didn't want to go through a trial. They wanted closure as fast as possible. How much the $ they received played into it -- we'll never know.

But under most laws prosecutors have great discretion and will often consider the feelings of the victim's family. It is rare that you get this result in a DWI case, especially when there is a death involved, but the fact that the family apparently did not want to go through a criminal trial, for whatever reason, played a big role in this.

Had the family said -- nail him to the wall -- there is no way any professional athlete avoids a trial and serves this kind of jail time.

The voice of reason -- Burress got what he deserved. And you can't compare it to Lynch, because with Buress, the gun went off in a public place.

On the Stallworth issue, for what it's worth, I read somewhere that the family of the victim was okay with the plea bargain and didn't want to go through a trial. They wanted closure as fast as possible. How much the $ they received played into it -- we'll never know.

But under most laws prosecutors have great discretion and will often consider the feelings of the victim's family. It is rare that you get this result in a DWI case, especially when there is a death involved, but the fact that the family apparently did not want to go through a criminal trial, for whatever reason, played a big role in this.

Had the family said -- nail him to the wall -- there is no way any professional athlete avoids a trial and serves this kind of jail time.

You're a moron. The charge was for criminal, unlicensed possession of a concealed weapon. Not for "allowing my gun to go off in public." It's the same exact thing that Lynch could have been charged with had he been in NY. Instead he got off light being in California.

"Lynch, who played in the Pro Bowl one week ago, was arrested Wednesday in Culver City, Calif., on felony charges for possession of a concealed firearm."

You fucking idiot.