SportsWrath

THE SLAMMER

BadEgg

Burress Pleads Guilty in Weapons Case

By John Eligon

Plaxico BurressSeth Wenig/Associated Press Plaxico Burress in April.

Updated, 10:16 a.m. | Plaxico Burress, the former Giants receiver, pleaded guilty on Thursday morning in his weapons-possession case in a deal with Manhattan prosecutors that will send him to prison for two years.

Justice Michael H. Melkonian of State Supreme Court accepted the guilty plea. Along with the two-year prison sentence, Mr. Burress, 31, will be sentenced to two years of post-release supervision.

Mr. Burress was indicted earlier this month on charges relating to an episode in November 2008, when he accidentally shot himself in the thigh in a Manhattan nightclub. The Giants released him in April without waiting for the outcome of the criminal proceedings.

If the case were to go to trial and Mr. Burress were convicted of all charges — two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and one count of second-degree reckless endangerment — he could face 3½ to 15 years in prison. The plea agreement still needs the approval of a State Supreme Court justice.

The shooting occurred shortly after 1:30 a.m. on Nov. 29 at the Latin Quarter Nightclub in Midtown. Security guards had allowed Mr. Burress to enter with a .40-caliber Glock semiautomatic pistol tucked in the waistband of his jeans. The gun was loaded and not in a holster, according to prosecutors.

Mr. Burress, who caught the winning touchdown pass in the Giants’ 2008 Super Bowl victory against the New England Patriots, had a license to carry the gun in Florida, but it had expired nearly seven months before the shooting. Even if it were still valid, prosecutors said, Mr. Burress would not have been allowed to carry the weapon in New York.

Shortly after Mr. Burress reached the second-floor V.I.P. area, where there were 20 to 30 people, the gun slipped down his pant leg and accidentally fired as he attempted to prevent it from falling to the floor. The bullet hit Mr. Burress’s leg and narrowly missed a club security guard.

A grand jury decided not to indict Antonio Pierce, a Giants linebacker who was with Mr. Burress in the nightclub and drove him to a hospital.

Source: NY Times

Who said, from the beginning, that Mr. Burress would be in jail?

I feel safer all ready

Alot of us did ya faggot. Is that all you come back for? Sad you cant come back and throw the cowboys success in our faces, cause thats fictional.

Very sad. From Super Bowl hero to inmate. Amazing fall from grace, due to a terrible combination of stubbornness and apathy, really.

All the crap that piled sky high with the Giants (refusing to show up on time, ignoring all the advice of virtually everyone in the Giants organization, etc), concluding with this. What a complete waste.

Despite the fact that this was 100% his own doing, I feel bad for the guy. And I’m sure this is going to create bad blood between the Giants team and NYC.

I wonder – if Giants Stadium were being built in NYC, what the result would have been?

Very sad. From Super Bowl hero to inmate. Amazing fall from grace, due to a terrible combination of stubbornness and apathy, really.

All the crap that piled sky high with the Giants (refusing to show up on time, ignoring all the advice of virtually everyone in the Giants organization, etc), concluding with this. What a complete waste.

Despite the fact that this was 100% his own doing, I feel bad for the guy. And I’m sure this is going to create bad blood between the Giants team and NYC.

I wonder – if Giants Stadium were being built in NYC, what the result would have been?

Well said, I feel the same way, Joe. I really felt that after he was indicted it would be too risky for him not to take the standing plea deal. Especially after he testified. You have to think Brafman knew he had to fight as hard as he could to get as little jail time for Plax without pleading not guilty. When it came down to it, the facts were not in Plax's favor and everyone knew it. This was going to end in prison time no matter what.

Hopefully, Plaxico can do his time honorably and come out of this as a man determined to live his life responsibly. Two years in prison is a long time for essentially being a huge dumbass, but he did endanger others' lives and the sentence, I believe, is appropriate.

Well said, I feel the same way, Joe. I really felt that after he was indicted it would be too risky for him not to take the standing plea deal. Especially after he testified. You have to think Brafman knew he had to fight as hard as he could to get as little jail time for Plax without pleading not guilty. When it came down to it, the facts were not in Plax's favor and everyone knew it. This was going to end in prison time no matter what.

Hopefully, Plaxico can do his time honorably and come out of this as a man determined to live his life responsibly. Two years in prison is a long time for essentially being a huge dumbass, but he did endanger others' lives and the sentence, I believe, is appropriate.

Bringing a loaded gun into a crowded nightclub.....you're right, it could have been much worse.

So, yeah, it's tough, but I can understand the sentence.

On the flip side, though, the NFL has guys like Leonard Little and Stallworth - who killed people driving drunk - walking around free. Stallworth is missing the NFL season, but he'll be sitting on a couch, instead of behind bars.

Leonard Little drives drunk, kills a woman, drives drunk AGAIN, and is doing fine in St Louis.

Alot of us did ya faggot. Is that all you come back for? Sad you cant come back and throw the cowboys success in our faces, cause thats fictional.

My first official post after my yearly hybernation and this is how I am greeted? A faggot?

Do they really permit language of this sort on the new and improved boards? I'm appauled.

BB, I have mellowed some this off season. This new version of Badgg is less confrontational. But we are not getting off on the right foot.

By the way, when you "cemented" yourself as a Giants fan, was it before McConkey caught that ridiculous pass deflection or was it when Tuna was actually holding the trophy. I am doing research on bandwagon fans and...

My first official post after my yearly hybernation and this is how I am greeted? A faggot?

Do they really permit language of this sort on the new and improved boards? I'm appauled.

BB, I have mellowed some this off season. This new version of Badgg is less confrontational. But we are not getting off on the right foot.

By the way, when you "cemented" yourself as a Giants fan, was it before McConkey caught that ridiculous pass deflection or was it when Tuna was actually holding the trophy. I am doing research on bandwagon fans and...

Well your research should be plentiful, seeing as you are the epitome of a bandwagon fan ya prick. When did you become an Angel fan? When they won the world series, or was it because they invented the rally monkey, and you have a hard on for sex with animals?

Well your research should be plentiful, seeing as you are the epitome of a bandwagon fan ya prick. When did you become an Angel fan? When they won the world series, or was it because they invented the rally monkey, and you have a hard on for sex with animals?

:(

actually his earliest release date is 20 months

Is that everything included? Because they get time for good behavior, first time offender, and every state has a different mandatory min. sentence. Like AZ is 85% of your time. With a 2 yr sentence, it seems like he could be out in little over a yr.

Is that everything included? Because they get time for good behavior, first time offender, and every state has a different mandatory min. sentence. Like AZ is 85% of your time. With a 2 yr sentence, it seems like he could be out in little over a yr.

just going by what a few articles have said