SportsWrath

Reflections from the first pre-season game

Allstarjim

I think we all saw what we wanted to see from the first team defense. Umenyiora answered any questions about his effectiveness as a pass rusher after a year off and knee surgery.

I will take our 3 running backs of Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ware against any RB group in the NFL. Each one of them ran with power and speed. Love that combination.

Eli showed us something too. There was a noticeable drop-off in the efficiency of the offense when Eli left the game. Anyone who doubts how good of a player Eli is... they are just a fool. Eli's leadership, decision-making, and intelligence is unmatched on the football field.

That said, Carr showed us a strong, accurate arm and I'm confident of his ability to move the offense.

I would've liked to have seen more of Nicks and Barden with Carr at QB. I expect the WR shuffle will be different next game. Barden looked fluid out there, though, like he belongs.

Again, Sinorice Moss making dumb decisions... over-aggressive, dances with the football while running lanes close. Manningham clearly is the better receiver, and I would give him increased reps based on what I saw.

Clint Sintim was spectacular... didn't see him much in coverage, though.

Patrick Allen was unimpressive despite one good run. He did not show any explosiveness, did not hit the hole well, and showed poor vision. His window closed a little tonight.

Great game that made me even more excited for the season to start.

Sintim was very impressive. He's going to be a good one. I also thought Bradshaw is showing he's ready to step into the limelight as a great compliment to Jacobs. I was also impressed with Stoney Woodson who seemed to be always around the ball and trying to hawk it. Thomas looked real good at times, but made a couple of mistakes. He looks like he's going to start shining. And lastly, I was impressed with Maurice Evans. I don't know where there is room for the guy on that d-line, but he's got a motor and looks like a star in the making.

Overall, good game. So many Giants were held out of the game that it's hard to get a picture of what the real team will look like on opening day. I'd love to see more of Nicks, Barden, and Manningham while Eli is in the game. That will be a tell-tale sign of this coming season.

Sintim was very impressive. He's going to be a good one. I also thought Bradshaw is showing he's ready to step into the limelight as a great compliment to Jacobs. I was also impressed with Stoney Woodson who seemed to be always around the ball and trying to hawk it. Thomas looked real good at times, but made a couple of mistakes. He looks like he's going to start shining. And lastly, I was impressed with Maurice Evans. I don't know where there is room for the guy on that d-line, but he's got a motor and looks like a star in the making.

Overall, good game. So many Giants were held out of the game that it's hard to get a picture of what the real team will look like on opening day. I'd love to see more of Nicks, Barden, and Manningham while Eli is in the game. That will be a tell-tale sign of this coming season.

agree that Thomas looked good in coverage. I would have liked to see him tackle a little better but then again, he is not the first DB that DeAngello Williams has embarrased and I am sure he won't be the last.

Sintim definately impressed as a rusher but looked lost in coverage. Not unexpected for a rookie in his first game but he is a work in progress at this point and will be used situationally until he learns that facet of his position

I was also impressed by Beatty's athleticism and conditioning. He is very quick for a 300+ tackle. He definately needs some polishing but I am excited about his potential.

Well, considering the defense, this preseason game was a bit of a relief. All the camp reports I've read stated that the defense was dominating the practice--that could mean that the defense was really fantastic, or the the offense really sucked. I think we have our answer to that.

Some sloppy tackling, but tons of penetration. Very few of Carolina's offensive plays weren't disrupted, and they had a ridiculous amount of turnovers. This defense is going to be scary. I can't help but point out that the amount of penetration that Alford was getting on passing downs was awesome--if that becomes a steady occurrence, Osi and Tuck are easily going to get double digit sacks as the QB is going to be pushed into their arms. Then again, we weren't seeing the real Carolina offense, either.

Brandon Jacobs catching passes? Is this a sign of the apocalypse? I'm storing canned goods just in case...

Carr is way too antsy in the pocket. At least a couple sacks were on him--he held on to the ball way too long on one play, and ran out into the arms of a Carolina Panther in another, when the oline gave him enough time to at least make an incompletion. Woodson flat-out sucked, and Bomar didn't really have a chance, since the protection simply wasn't there.

Couldn't really tell all that much about our WRs, except Moss isn't a full-time return man.

Couldn't really tell all that much about our WRs, except Moss isn't a full-time return man.

Manningham looked sharp on the 13 yard "first down reception" that was called back for an illegal formation. I think they had one of the tackles for not being on the line. Still a nice crisp play.

Well, considering the defense, this preseason game was a bit of a relief. All the camp reports I've read stated that the defense was dominating the practice--that could mean that the defense was really fantastic, or the the offense really sucked. I think we have our answer to that.

Some sloppy tackling, but tons of penetration. Very few of Carolina's offensive plays weren't disrupted, and they had a ridiculous amount of turnovers. This defense is going to be scary. I can't help but point out that the amount of penetration that Alford was getting on passing downs was awesome--if that becomes a steady occurrence, Osi and Tuck are easily going to get double digit sacks as the QB is going to be pushed into their arms. Then again, we weren't seeing the real Carolina offense, either.

Brandon Jacobs catching passes? Is this a sign of the apocalypse? I'm storing canned goods just in case...

Carr is way too antsy in the pocket. At least a couple sacks were on him--he held on to the ball way too long on one play, and ran out into the arms of a Carolina Panther in another, when the oline gave him enough time to at least make an incompletion. Woodson flat-out sucked, and Bomar didn't really have a chance, since the protection simply wasn't there.

Good point, I too was impressed with Alford's play. He acts like a man who wants to be a starter.

No doubt Bin. Alford has been a mad man all through camp. Its great to see it come to fruitation on the field.

I have lived by one rule when it comes to preseason, it means nothing. But its hard not to seriously like what we saw from the starters.

I think we all saw what we wanted to see from the first team defense. Umenyiora answered any questions about his effectiveness as a pass rusher after a year off and knee surgery.

I will take our 3 running backs of Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ware against any RB group in the NFL. Each one of them ran with power and speed. Love that combination.

Eli showed us something too. There was a noticeable drop-off in the efficiency of the offense when Eli left the game. Anyone who doubts how good of a player Eli is... they are just a fool. Eli's leadership, decision-making, and intelligence is unmatched on the football field.

That said, Carr showed us a strong, accurate arm and I'm confident of his ability to move the offense.

I would've liked to have seen more of Nicks and Barden with Carr at QB. I expect the WR shuffle will be different next game. Barden looked fluid out there, though, like he belongs.

Again, Sinorice Moss making dumb decisions... over-aggressive, dances with the football while running lanes close. Manningham clearly is the better receiver, and I would give him increased reps based on what I saw.

Clint Sintim was spectacular... didn't see him much in coverage, though.

Patrick Allen was unimpressive despite one good run. He did not show any explosiveness, did not hit the hole well, and showed poor vision. His window closed a little tonight.

Great game that made me even more excited for the season to start.

Jim....seriously? Am I the only one who noticed how weak Ware was running? His TD came on a passing play. His running was pathetic. No power whatsoever. And Im a big Ware fan. He looked weak.

Jim....seriously? Am I the only one who noticed how weak Ware was running? His TD came on a passing play. His running was pathetic. No power whatsoever. And Im a big Ware fan. He looked weak.

Well, he broke tackles during that TD reception and looked pretty quick there. Most of his carries he didn't get much, but there wasn't really holes opening up for him either. When you have guys flying in from the secondary with little blocking going on, and ineffective QB play from Woodson and Bomar, he didn't have much of a chance on the opportunities he had. I'm not saying he's starter material but as a backup, I like him.

Agree with the other guys that Alford is ready to take on a bigger role. And also fishgut mentioned Carr... I too was frustrated with him not staying in the pocket at times, and not getting rid of the football and being indecisive at times. When he has a good rhythm, though, and he just delivers the ball, he is very sharp with his accuracy and arm strength.

Took the words out of my mouth. Alford wasn't lying about his new quick release; he was the first lineman, of BOTH lines, off the snap. He's going to be the key to the destruction our line will cause this season. Very impressed.

I was surprised to see Sintim line up in a three-point stance at DE most downs. He clearly has the goods as a pass-rusher, hopefully he picks up coverage skills quickly. I was also impressed with Goff, he showed good awareness in coverage, and Wilkinson looks speedy as ever.

Well, he broke tackles during that TD reception and looked pretty quick there. Most of his carries he didn't get much, but there wasn't really holes opening up for him either. When you have guys flying in from the secondary with little blocking going on, and ineffective QB play from Woodson and Bomar, he didn't have much of a chance on the opportunities he had. I'm not saying he's starter material but as a backup, I like him.

He had 21 carries. Dont starting RB's usually get somewhere around 25 carries a game? I know the line was atrocious, so maybe thats it. But he had plenty of carries and looked un decisive to me.

Actually, maybe it's me.... But i didn't think the team look good, overall. I was under the impression this team was going to complete more deep passes? I didn't see one pass 20 yards... I wasn't impress by the WR at all. The second unit offensive-line looked horrible. ST didn't play good either...

I know people were impress with the First Defensive unit...But I was a little concern that on several plays, Jake Delhoulme had to much time to throw the ball.

Actually, maybe it's me.... But i didn't think the team look good, overall. I was under the impression this team was going to complete more deep passes? I didn't see one pass 20 yards... I wasn't impress by the WR at all. The second unit offensive-line looked horrible. ST didn't play good either...

I know people were impress with the First Defensive unit...But I was a little concern that on several plays, Jake Delhoulme had to much time to throw the ball.

I can agree with your criticisms. It's been awhile since we've had some football. I think we all set really high expectations. We have to remember that the guys in the other unis have some pretty good players, too. I thought the 1st and 2nd team defense played extremely well. The pressure was good and I think it's going to get better. I know Delhomme got some passes off unmolested. But guys like Jordan Gross are earning a living, too, right? We also had both starting CB's out, Boley out, and Canty out, so when we get all of our horses in there, it's going to be special.

I thought Carolina did a pretty good job at taking away the deep ball, but I was frustrated with the lack of passing attack altogether. I know we're a run-first team, but this is pre-season and we already know what we have with B-Jac and Bradshaw. Air it out and see what the receivers can do!

ST's were not good, agreed.

All of our receivers are far better than Sinorice LOSS. I have no doubt that management should release this dumb dwarf! Maybe we can get cases of beer to give to fans who will get more pleasure from them than watching this incompetent midget play

I can agree with your criticisms. It's been awhile since we've had some football. I think we all set really high expectations. We have to remember that the guys in the other unis have some pretty good players, too. I thought the 1st and 2nd team defense played extremely well. The pressure was good and I think it's going to get better. I know Delhomme got some passes off unmolested. But guys like Jordan Gross are earning a living, too, right? We also had both starting CB's out, Boley out, and Canty out, so when we get all of our horses in there, it's going to be special.

I thought Carolina did a pretty good job at taking away the deep ball, but I was frustrated with the lack of passing attack altogether. I know we're a run-first team, but this is pre-season and we already know what we have with B-Jac and Bradshaw. Air it out and see what the receivers can do!

ST's were not good, agreed.

You're right Jim...I really liked the match up with the Carolina Panthers because you know M. Fox's teams are alway prepare and physical. But i really think our second unit got pushed around.

All of our receivers are far better than Sinorice LOSS. I have no doubt that management should release this dumb dwarf! Maybe we can get cases of beer to give to fans who will get more pleasure from them than watching this incompetent midget play

Hard to judge him yet just on this one game, and on that one punt return play. I don't think he'll be returning punts so no worries. He's supposedly had a good camp.

Who knows... in a contract year, we may get something out of him.

remember that they held out Snee and Seubert so 40% of our 1's where actually 2's and so on. Beatty might be a year away but I was really impressed with his athleticism.

remember that they held out Snee and Seubert so 40% of our 1's where actually 2's and so on. Beatty might be a year away but I was really impressed with his athleticism.

I think Tutan Reyes has passed Koets now. If I'm Koets I'm worried about my roster spot after last night.

Here are my thoughts, which echo alot of what has been said above....

1. Even our vanilla package defense looked solid. Can’t wait until the regular season when the gloves come off.

2. Clint Sintim looks like a great pick; another quality pass rusher for our defense.

3. Bradshaw will be an upgrade over Derrick Ward; a different back, but a threat every time he touches the ball.

4. Andre Ware gives us great depth, but doesn’t deserve to take carries from Jacobs and Bradshaw. He’s another Derrick Ward, which is nice, but he doesn’t take this offense up a notch.

5. Rhett Bomar is a better prospect than Woodson….Woodson looked very shaky.

6. Tynes is still just Tynes. I’m completely mystified why the Giants continue to undervalue our placekicker position.

7. The Force remains strong in Feagles.

Here are my thoughts, which echo alot of what has been said above....

1. Even our vanilla package defense looked solid. Can’t wait until the regular season when the gloves come off.

2. Clint Sintim looks like a great pick; another quality pass rusher for our defense.

3. Bradshaw will be an upgrade over Derrick Ward; a different back, but a threat every time he touches the ball.

4. Andre Ware gives us great depth, but doesn’t deserve to take carries from Jacobs and Bradshaw. He’s another Derrick Ward, which is nice, but he doesn’t take this offense up a notch.

5. Rhett Bomar is a better prospect than Woodson….Woodson looked very shaky.

6. Tynes is still just Tynes. I’m completely mystified why the Giants continue to undervalue our placekicker position.

7. The Force remains strong in Feagles.

We signed the overrated bust outta Houston college who's 40+ yrs old??? :P

Honestly, since its' the team's first game.. it's only right they look rusty.. hell even I was rusty sitting on the couch trying to watch the game... at some point I must've hit a button on the remote and didn't realize I wasn't watching the game anymore till 10 minutes later :doh::D