SportsWrath

Breaking News

Lubeck

6 year extension, 97.5 mil w/ 35ish guarunteed per Jay Glazier. Just announced on WFAN will get a link shortly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/05/giants-eli-strike-a-long-term-deal/

</h1>

<h1>Giants, Eli striking a long-term deal

Posted by Mike Florio on August 5, 2009 7:57 AM ET After months of rumors that the Giants were poised to lock up quarterback Eli Manning for the long haul, it finally has happened.

According to Jay Glazer of FOX, Manning and the team are on the verge of agreeing to a six-year, $97.5 million extension.

Per Glazer, the deal includes $35 million in guaranteed money.

Based on the extension only, the average is $16.25 million per year. Factoring in the $9.4 million in base salary that Manning already was due to earn in 2009, the annual average of the seven-year, $106.9 million arrangement is $15.2 million.

Though Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers will earn more this season under his one-year franchise tender, Manning's contract represents the biggest multi-year average that any NFL player has received.

On the surface, Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth's seven-year, $100 million deal comes close, but the reality is that it's only (only?) a four-year, $48 million package. And the $102 million deal given last year to Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger covers eight seasons.

As our own Tom Curran pointed out last month, the Manning deal likely will be the first big-money domino to fall in an ongoing string of record-setting quarterback contracts.

Next up? Philip Rivers. Then Tom Brady. Then Eli's big brother, again.

Shaka Zulu!

Thats a big contract, wonder if the $35 million guaranteed has alot of incentives to reach the $97.5 million total. So he's getting $16 mil in 2009 and $15mil for the rest of the extension...I guess thats what you pay for a franchise QB.

Just bring us another acouple of Lombardi trophys there Eli.

Im not mad at this..Eli has been pretty good and he's lead us to superbowl victory. Also, the giants have a talented,young enough core where they should contend for the next 6 years and you need QB stability if youre going to contend year in and year out.

yeah im not mad at it either, somebody wouldve paid him this money, im glad it was us.

He is hardly hanging on in the middle of the pack as far as qb's. But now he makes more than anyone in the league. Even if he was the greatest QB to ever step foot on the field (which he isnt even close) what good is it when you cant afford anything else?

He is hardly hanging on in the middle of the pack as far as qb's. But now he makes more than anyone in the league. Even if he was the greatest QB to ever step foot on the field (which he isnt even close) what good is it when you cant afford anything else?

Relax, JayD. If you are caught up in stats, then Eli is not the most dynamic QB out there. But Eli is a winner. Don't you like going to the playoffs every year? That's what we've been doing under the Eli era. Eli reminds me of Terry Bradshaw. Bradshaw didn't blow you away with stellar numbers, but he won games. He was a tremendous leader and always seemed to step up and make the big play when it was needed. That's Eli. I want to see Eli bring us a couple more Lombardi's, and I trust that he is the guy to do it.

As far as the contract... TRUST IN REESE! He has managed the cap beautifully. The way they move the money around and structure the deals, we'll be ok. Reese is not Dan Snyder, he knows what he is doing.

We've been paying him about $12 million/yr for the past couple of years already. Now he's going to average $15 million/yr. That's not really an unreasonable bump, at least when you're talking about the ridiculous amounts of money flying around sporting events.

One jump in the salary cap should cover the difference. And extra $3 million/yr is paying for his peak years.

Relax, JayD. If you are caught up in stats, then Eli is not the most dynamic QB out there. But Eli is a winner. Don't you like going to the playoffs every year? That's what we've been doing under the Eli era. Eli reminds me of Terry Bradshaw. Bradshaw didn't blow you away with stellar numbers, but he won games. He was a tremendous leader and always seemed to step up and make the big play when it was needed. That's Eli. I want to see Eli bring us a couple more Lombardi's, and I trust that he is the guy to do it.

As far as the contract... TRUST IN REESE! He has managed the cap beautifully. The way they move the money around and structure the deals, we'll be ok. Reese is not Dan Snyder, he knows what he is doing.

Bro we have gone to the playoffs for alot more reasons than Eli being there.

Meh. It was gonna happen and with a lot of other players up for similar treatment the cap will increase (it's a function of average pay) so I don't think it's a big deal.

Exactly, he will only be the highest paid player this year, next year (Maybe even earlier) someone else will land a big extension and make more.

Meh. It was gonna happen and with a lot of other players up for similar treatment the cap will increase (it's a function of average pay) so I don't think it's a big deal.

Meh......reminds me of the GMB days. Wasnt it madjack that always used to say that?

Sorry....offtopic. :blush:

Exactly, he will only be the highest paid player this year, next year (Maybe even earlier) someone else will land a big extension and make more.

Yep, in 2 or 3 years he'll be lucky to still be in the top five highest paid. It's the nature of the bizz.

And yes, we've been to the playoffs for a lot more reasons that Eli, but he is huge reason we get there and was maybe the main reason we GOT to the super bowl. The D may have won the bowl, but Eli's play in the post season was the big reason we got that far. His cool under pressure is worth the contract. There are guys with much better overall numbers, but if they can't step it up in crunch time it's meaningless.