SportsWrath

Hakeem Nicks

BleedinBlue

I've read a couple of articles on Nicks lately worth sharing and it's worth posting here (especially since the Giants board has been really dead the past week). Anyway, here tis:

Daily News: I know you’ve heard about Butch Davis comparing Hakeem Nicks to you. I was wondering what your thoughts were on that.

Michael Irvin: Well, first of all I’ve talked about Hakeem Nicks with coach … with Jerry Jones. And we talked about the comments that Butch Davis made. I have seen him play. And I certainly respect Coach Davis. He spent enough time with me to know exactly what he believes looks like me. But man, am I that old already? That people are starting to say ‘He reminds me of Michael Irvin’? Wow. It’s a compliment, no doubt. But still … I’m that old? How did I get that old? I’m just a kid, still. But honestly, when you get to that place where people start comparing other players to you, that really is a great compliment.

DN: It’s also a lot for the kid to live up to. Isn’t that a lot of pressure?

MI: Pressure is good at this stage. You want a guy to feel like ‘I have to live up to him,’ as opposed to ‘I’m just me. Let me be me.’ You want to live up to something, to standards that have been set … something where he says ‘I want to be this’ or ‘I want to do that.’ Things that are beyond ‘Now you’ve got a fat check,’ ‘Now you’re making $5 million a year, ‘ ‘Now you’re making $10 million a year.’ There are things that are beyond that. And I’m talking about, you want a guy to feel pressure to be great all the time.

DN: He’ll have some pressure anyway being in New York and with the Giants losing two starting receivers in the offseason.

MI: Yeah. And again, you talk about the pressure of saying he’s like Michael Irvin, there is the pressure of filling the shoes that have just departed the Giants. Regardless of what you think of (Plaxico Burress) personally, you can’t say much about him professionally because he showed up and made plays. And without him, you can see that you are not you, talking about the Giants. They couldn’t get it done without him last year. So there’s going to be some pressure on Hakeem Nicks to replace those shoes.

DN : You said you’ve seen him play. What do you like about him, and do you see any of yourself in him?

MI: I see the aggressiveness. You can tell when you watch him play that he loves playing the game. I would love to spend time with him to get a gauge on his intellectual property about the game. You know, that will make all the difference in the world. That’s the key. There ain’t no ’sometimes.’ It’s all the time. I tell people all the time, if you’re a good player you’ll play ‘shoulders down’ and rely on your physical gifts. But if you are a great player you are playing ‘shoulders up’ and you’ll rely on what you know, what you see and what you study.

DN: You know what happened with the Giants last year, and now they head into a season without a proven replacement for Plaxico Burress. How tough will that be for them, and are you surprised they didn’t add a veteran receiver?

MI: No, not surprised. Floored and shocked. I’m floored and shocked that you didn’t go get Braylon Edwards or Anquan Boldin. I really am. Both of them are very g ood guys and I think they would’ve fit perfectly in their scheme. So I am shocked that they did not go get those guys.

DN: Was that the only way they could have really replaced Plaxico?

MI: Yeah. So now the pressure is on Nicks to perform. Them not signing another receiver makes the pressure mount.

-----------------------------------

Here's a quote from Scout.com

"The New York Giants really improved their team (with this years draft). In the first round, they took North Carolina WR Hakeem Nicks, who I believe will be the best WR from this year's draft class. Nicks is a consistent pass catcher who has reliable hands. He lacks elite speed, but is quick and makes plays downfield. He’s a tough runner after the catch and doesn’t go down easily. He’s a complete receiver. Nicks will give Eli Manning the receiver he needs...."

the next Michael Irvin? do they think Nicks is going to end up a crack addict getting arrested wearing a lot of bling?

Maybe they think Hicks is going to stab one of his teammate with a pair of scissors.

the dog would like someone to gauge michael irvin's "intellectual property"...or at least get a guage on what "intellectual property" actually is...

I think MI was referring to the Football Intellecutal Property of a player... how much grasp of the game does have at this early point of his career.

Wow, you dudes are mean to Michael Irvin. Let he who has no sic... cast the first stone. Much like Plaxico, and aside for both of their personal lives.. which I think are marred with fear and psychological pain, both of these guys showed up to play.. Michael Irvin, Emmit, and Aikman put daggers in our heart.. and Plaxico played like Plaxico.. when it counted most. His game against Green Bay was a monster performance in a legendary game... I'd fathom to say the best game by any wide receiver.. of any time under the harshest of conditions.

Give credit where credit is due. Michael Irvin, knows a think or two about the WR position.. he was masterful at it and for that I think he's earned his respect.

Regards,

Prince

Wow, you dudes are mean to Michael Irvin. Let he who has no sic... cast the first stone. Much like Plaxico, and aside for both of their personal lives.. which I think are marred with fear and psychological pain, both of these guys showed up to play.. Michael Irvin, Emmit, and Aikman put daggers in our heart.. and Plaxico played like Plaxico.. when it counted most. His game against Green Bay was a monster performance in a legendary game... I'd fathom to say the best game by any wide receiver.. of any time under the harshest of conditions.

Give credit where credit is due. Michael Irvin, knows a think or two about the WR position.. he was masterful at it and for that I think he's earned his respect.

Regards,

Prince

Ya know, I agree, Irvin was nasty, Deion was nasty, Aikman, Moose, Emmit, they were all nasty...they all suck as announcers, but still, they were definitely great players on the field.

Ya know, I agree, Irvin was nasty, Deion was nasty, Aikman, Moose, Emmit, they were all nasty...they all suck as announcers, but still, they were definitely great players on the field.

I think Aikman is a good announcer.

Don't forget Novacheck (sp)

Yah, and Leon Lett and everyone else on that oline that Madden had a boner for...

Alvin Harper was decent, too...