SportsWrath

Haynesworth gets 7-year, $100M deal from Redskins?!?

Plax 4 Prez

Haynesworth gets 7-year, $100M deal from Redskins

WASHINGTON (AP)—Moving swiftly in the first hours of free agency, the Washington Redskins opened their deep pockets and snagged perhaps the biggest name available: All-Pro defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth.

The longtime Tennessee Titans defensive tackle agreed to a seven-year deal worth approximately $100 million early Friday morning. The Redskins, known for their expediency in such matters, wasted no time scheduling a 5 p.m. news conference for their latest marquee signing.

Haynesworth’s deal came within hours of another Redskins blockbuster: a six-year, $54 million agreement to re-sign cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

A stout, sack-producing interior lineman is just what the Redskins have needed. Haynesworth had a career-high 8 1/2 sacks last year, more than one-third of Washington’s team total (24). The 27-year-old lineman is 6-foot-6, weighs 320 pounds and has 24 sacks in seven NFL seasons since the Titans drafted him in the first round out of the University of Tennessee in 2002.

Haynesworth last year also had 75 tackles, 22 quarterback pressures, seven tackles for a loss and forced a team-high four fumbles.

This is a Jan. 10, 2009 file p…

AP - Feb 27, 9:29 am EST

The moves for Haynesworth and Hall marked a return to form for Redskins owner Dan Snyder, who for much of the decade has won the unofficial NFL offseason title with big-money signings, often negotiated within hours of the midnight start of free agency. The team was uncharacteristically quiet last year — no major deals at all during the entire free agency period—but an 8-8 season with an aging roster left holes to fill.

It was uncertain whether the Redskins would be able to fit Haynesworth under the salary cap, but the front office spent this month renegotiating several contracts of current players to clear money for the upcoming season. The team also saved money under the cap by releasing linebacker Marcus Washington.

Hall’s deal includes $22.5 million in guaranteed money, giving the 25-year-old cornerback his second big payday in as many years. He was guaranteed around $24 million in a seven-year, $70 million contract he signed a year ago with Oakland, but he struggled to adjust to the Raiders’ man-to-man defense and was waived after eight games.

The Redskins picked him up less than a week later, and he provided a needed boost to a secondary beset by too many injuries and not enough big plays. Hall played in seven games and started the last four, eventually moving ahead of Carlos Rogers on the depth chart.

Hall’s five interceptions for the season—three with Oakland, two with Washington—were three more than any other cornerback on the Redskins roster. He was a model citizen during his short time in the nation’s capital, avoiding the type of temperamental outbursts that prompted the Atlanta Falcons to trade him to Oakland in 2008.

Hall therefore became a top offseason priority, with Snyder wanting to work a deal before the cornerback had a chance to test the free agent market. The negotiations with Hall’s agents, Alvin Keels and Joel Segal, went to the last minute—and maybe a little beyond.

Yahoo! link

LOL, Lug. I only asked for a link cause I hadn't seen anything!!! Anyhow, I might be in the minority on this, but I feel this makes the Redskins a threat to us in the East. Haynesworth is a scheme changer... He's changes the whole defense. He's more of a grizzly bear than a DT. I do not envy O'Hara, Snee, and Seubert next season when we play the Redskins.

LOL, Lug. I only asked for a link cause I hadn't seen anything!!! Anyhow, I might be in the minority on this, but I feel this makes the Redskins a threat to us in the East. Haynesworth is a scheme changer... He's changes the whole defense. He's more of a grizzly bear than a DT. I do not envy O'Hara, Snee, and Seubert next season when we play the Redskins.

By the way, happiest guy in DC right now? Jason Taylor.

The guy barely plays half of a game, has injury issues and is going on 30 but yet he gets $100M dollar deal....the Redskins are fucking stupid.

Who wants to bet that after this pay day you dont hear a thing about Haynesworth?

I'll take that bet.

Do I think the contract they gave him is ridiculous and that the Redskins never learn from their mistakes? Yep. Do I also think that this makes the Redskins defense a top 10 defense if healthy? Yessir. Haynesworth is the best DT in the game today, he makes their whole D-line better.

so that is roughly 14.3 mil per year. If he were to play all 16 games, which is unlikely since he hasn't played a full season since 2002, that is about $893 thousand per game. So as long as he doesn't get hurt or stomp on anyone's head that is still way too much to pay for just one position, but heck, what do I know.

I'll take that bet.

Do I think the contract they gave him is ridiculous and that the Redskins never learn from their mistakes? Yep. Do I also think that this makes the Redskins defense a top 10 defense if healthy? Yessir. Haynesworth is the best DT in the game today, he makes their whole D-line better.

If healthy and motivated, yes, he'll elevate their game. But he's only been an elite player for two seasons, and has NEVER finished an entire season.

Haynesworth is an oft-injured 350 pounder pushing 30 with a history of work ethic and psychological issues who has only lived up to his potential in his contract season. I've seen this movie before, I know how it ends.

If healthy and motivated, yes, he'll elevate their game. But he's only been an elite player for two seasons, and has NEVER finished an entire season.

Haynesworth is an oft-injured 350 pounder pushing 30 with a history of work ethic and psychological issues who has only lived up to his potential in his contract season. I've seen this movie before, I know how it ends.

actually that's not true...he played the entire 2002 season

I stand corrected. When he was 22 he finished an entire season. Dare I say the point stands? :evilgrin:

he is still a big risk though, because you know he is not playing the entire season, and when you have that much invested in one guy it usually means the backups suck.

To be fair, he likely would've played the entire 2007 season if he hadn't been suspended for kicking that dudes head. :)

I think he'll be motivated, though. EVERYONE will demand that of him. That's what's expected when you cash in on $100 million.

But yes, I agree that it is a terrible contract to invest in a guy who is a risk. I would say that every signing is a risk, though. It's football, everyone gets injured. If they get him 14 games a year as a Skins fan I would be happy.

they can always cut him. it's not the same kidn of risk as baseball or basketball. they have the money to burn and all indications are that 2010 will be uncapped. but his cap figure for 09 is going to be probably the highest one year cap figure ever.

This really isn't a bad investment they can be our biggest worry, Dallas is totally overatted i think everybody in the league has figured out Tony Romo no more pulling monkeys out of his ass like he did for two years, they have two Roy Williams both overatted their corners stink. Philadelphia has no every down back,no offensive tackles,no recievers,and a fat ass for a head coach who was more excited about $5 footlongs then he was that the team went to nfc championship game. Washington now has a head coach for more then one year unless Snyder gets itchy and fires Zorn before mini camp (i thought Gruden was gonna intice) But having Zorn again helps Jason Campbell who has to learn a new offense every single year of his career