SportsWrath

Coughlin:Kiwi's staying at end

Mr. P

New York Giants' Coughlin says Burress motivated to return to football

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Friday February 20, 2009, 1:55 PM

INDIANAPOLIS - Tom Coughlin hasn't talked to Plaxico Burress recently, but wide receivers coach Mike Sullivan and director of player development Charles Way have. And Coughlin said, in those conversations, Burress has expressed a motivation to get back to prosperity as one of the NFL's best wide receivers.

"I know one aspect of it and Plaxico's been always solid about that. I know he has talked to Mike Sullivan about it - 'If I only can get back on the field, I want to be the kind of player that I can be,'" Coughlin said a short while ago here at the scouting combine.

But does he want to be a Giant?

Remember, Burress' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, recently sent an e-mail to the entire league in which he indicated Burress wants a trade.

"I really haven't asked that question," Coughlin said, "nor do I think anyone else has asked it."

For now, Coughlin is reiterating the wait-and-see approach the entire team is taking as Burress' March 31 court date approaches. After that, if Burress avoids jail time and a lengthy suspension, the Giants will determine if he's part of their future plans.

Until then, how do the Giants go about preparing for free agency and the draft without knowing Burress' status?

"You have to figure that..." Coughlin said before pausing and adding: "I don't know how you figure that. For me, that's not an easy thing to answer. To speculate is not a very smart move on my part. Obviously, we're going to do all the work with that position, etc., etc. We'll just see what happens at the end of March."

Coughlin did indicate the Giants understand they need a wide receiver other team's fear like Burress.

"Obviously, it'd be great to have a player if it's not Plaxico but with Plaxico's magnitude on our football team," Coughlin said, "and that's the thing that we've got to try to do for our team."

Coughlin was asked what's going to happen with Mathias Kiwanuka: LB or part of a 3-man rotation at DE with Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora. Coughlin didn't hedge or say he's waiting to see what happens in free agency or the draft.

"He'll be down (at DE)," Coughlin said.

So that's it - Kiwanuka's days at strong-side LB appear to be over.

Asked about the team's placing the franchise tag on RB Brandon Jacobs, Coughlin reiterated the goal of both sides, which is to reach a long-term deal. Jacobs at first didn't seem to fully grasp that and hinted he wouldn't be happy with the tag. Last week, in the team's press release, he changed his tone. Coughlin said it's because the team has communicated to Jacobs the reason for the tag is to buy more time to work out a deal and not to stop him from making money elsewhere.

"He understands that," Coughlin said. "And I think we did a pretty good job of (conveying that). Jerry (Reese) talked to him, (RB coach) Jerald Ingram talked to him, (director of PR) Peter-John Baptiste talked to him. So there were lots of opportunities to explain what was coming and why."

With Sammy Knight cut and James Butler about to hit the free-agent market, the Giants will soon have only two safeties on their roster.

"I think it's just like every position that doesn't have the numbers you think you need," Coughlin said. "As we always do in looking for the kind of player in that role that, if he is a backup, is an outstanding special-teamer, then that raises concern. We certainly feel that way about that spot."

MG

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/02...ghlin_says.html

Well... we have three starting caliber DEs and only two spots. Hope the new DC can make things as interesting as Spags always seemed to do.

They should, I think that was the main reason why they stayed internal with the DC. Keeping most of the same schemes, and verbage, and hopefully trickery. ;)

Can you imagine if Plax shaped up and no jail tme was given, then he returned to the Giants in great health? Then, we picked up Gibril for a good price, and get K Mitchell for cheap? It would be like 2007-08 all over again. :flex:

Not ouf the real of possibilities at all. I'm betting the house Plax is a Giant for a very long time and I'm sure he wants to be a Giant as much as the Giants want him... Wilson coming back even in back up role is also a possibility.. Kawika maybe the most challenging one since I'm sure quite a few other teams would want him.

:LMAO:

By bubba!!!

Seriously, I hope not.

I was thinking by Bloomberg could see it now "you want to carry guns in my city motherfucker yeah yeah yeah you like that shit boy keep carrying guns dumb ass motherfucker" Bloombergs new nickname then would become ZED

I was thinking by Bloomberg could see it now "you want to carry guns in my city motherfucker yeah yeah yeah you like that shit boy keep carrying guns dumb ass motherfucker" Bloombergs new nickname then would become ZED

Just J/k has far has a Kiwi great idea to keep him as a down lineman we need a SLB that can cover i am hoping for Cushing in the draft, Cushing, Pierce, Scott/Kehl at weakside

Just J/k has far has a Kiwi great idea to keep him as a down lineman we need a SLB that can cover i am hoping for Cushing in the draft, Cushing, Pierce, Scott/Kehl at weakside

id be pretty happy with that or cushing,pierce/crowder

or if cushings not available claymatthews,pierce,crowder

or even draftpick,pierce,kehl