SportsWrath

Anybody Else Feel The Giants Championship Wasn't As Fun As It Should Have Been?

nosebleedjints

Winning a title is great, but normally what's great, for me, is the months of dominance.

You come into the season hyped, you win games early on, and the aura around just continues to grow.

You face a challenge, go up, go down, but in the end, you win it all making it a total cumulation of a season of excellence.

You get your parade and your the toast of town and the league, hyped, talked about, sizziling.

I feel with the Giants, we get the title, but we didn't get the sizzle.

We went through a year were we got picked to finish near the bottom.

We started off horrible...then progressed...only to tail off with some ugly losses before straightening up then rolling in the playoffs.

The Giants got a great celebration...yet they hardly were given much of a sizzle.

The Steelers won it as a wild card two years earlier...and the town, league, went nuts...the Giants hardly matched it.

Aside from the 60 minutes of 4 playoff games, and parades, there never has been in my view a less cherished champion in modern history.

I remember with the Yankees winning...they were the toast of town and baseball.

It really is disappointed to me...I'm glad to have won a title, but I feel we as fans got shafted.

It's like marrying the woman of your dreams but having the wedding and honeymoon be really lame.

No sooner did the Giants win...the talk went back to Dallas...the experts continued to rate the Giants as a middle contender...and then the Jets stole the show.

I'm happy we won...but really this sucks.

The Eagles get glorified for winning a division..we win a super bowl...and are treated like we lost in round two both by the NFL and NY media.

They say you don't sell the steak...you sell the sizzle.

The Giants title was the steak...but it's not the same...it's not as fun and almost...spoiled...without the sizzle.

Anybody understand or feel this way?

Winning a title is great, but normally what's great, for me, is the months of dominance.

You come into the season hyped, you win games early on, and the aura around just continues to grow.

You face a challenge, go up, go down, but in the end, you win it all making it a total cumulation of a season of excellence.

You get your parade and your the toast of town and the league, hyped, talked about, sizziling.

We started off horrible...then progressed...only to tail off with some ugly losses before straightening up then rolling in the playoffs.

The Giants got a great celebration...yet they hardly were given much of a sizzle.

The Steelers won it as a wild card two years earlier...and the town, league, went nuts...the Giants hardly matched it.

Aside from the 60 minutes of 4 playoff games, and parades, there never has been in my view a less cherished champion in modern history.

It really is disappointed to me...I'm glad to have won a title, but I feel we as fans got shafted.

It's like marrying the woman of your dreams but having the wedding and honeymoon be really lame.

No sooner did the Giants win...the talk went back to Dallas...the experts continued to rate the Giants as a middle contender...and then the Jets stole the show.

The Eagles get glorified for winning a division..we win a super bowl...and are treated like we lost in round two both by the NFL and NY media.

The Giants title was the steak...but it's not the same...it's not as fun and almost...spoiled...without the sizzle.

You'll say I'm picking on you, but it's very obvious that none of the above is true.

you're right nose- we spoiled the party everyone was expecting to have so therefore our party was hastly arranged.

but, as giants fans, who cares about anyone else? we never have been a sexy pick- probably never will be. if you want that, my advice is root for another team.

I had a ton of fun during this unforseen run and I think anyone who went to the parade/rally at Giants

Stadium would say the same thing. That was one of the best days of my life and I was there for the ride.

It was awesome and it's something that I will always cherish.

I had a ton of fun during this unforseen run and I think anyone who went to the parade/rally at Giants

Stadium would say the same thing. That was one of the best days of my life and I was there for the ride.

The last few months have been some of the best publicity we've ever gotten, and if Brett Favre wasn't a news item, the big news in the NFL offseason would have been Jeremy Shockey and Strahan "really" retiring. Plus we open the season this year.

well, i would've been WAY happier like 5 years ago, if that's what you mean. sports isn't as much of a dominant presence in my life as it was when i was growing up, but it was the first time any of my teams won while i was a fan of them so it was still pretty sweet

Yeh..but it sucks we're now the number 2 story behind the Jets in NY..let alone in the NFL.

When you win...you usual get the glory..and that's what sticks.

We got a parade..and then next week were dismissed again.

Yeh..but it sucks we're now the number 2 story behind the Jets in NY..let alone in the NFL.

When you win...you usual get the glory..and that's what sticks.

We got a parade..and then next week were dismissed again.

That is just the way the Giants want it.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting. We had an amazing post-season, chock full of players stepping up, one of the greatest SuperBowls ever played, and a win that will be remembered for decades.

If anything, I'm glad the win is being downplayed. It will keep our team hungry. Let them think they still have something to prove.

The Jets can have the back pages in preseason.

I think the amount of joy is the same, it's just a matter of the amount of time that you experience it over. In '86, for example, we were the favorites all along, so it was fun being the dominant team in the NFL for the whole year, but there were no real moments of pandemonium during that run (except, of course, when it was all over and we were the champs). Last year, there was never really hope during the season for winning it all, but in the postseason we had so many moments of unparalleled excitement that it made up for it. Same amount of excitement, just packed into a shorter amount of time.

Prior to the Jets getting Favre, did anybody even notice they existed in New York the last few months. They splashed out big money on free agents and made big trades and did some serious improvements on the team and they were totally outshadowed by the Shockey dilemma and Strahan's retirement. Even Plaxico was getting more ink than the entire Jets team in the papers. Hell, we even caught more negative news with the PSL's than the Jets.I don't know what you've been doing the last few months, but right up until training camp, we were the story in the NFL, and if the spotlight is off us now because of Favre, well isn't that a good thing?. That's why we'll be in the playoffs in the winter and the Jets will be huffing and puffing to get in.

When was the last time the NFL released a 5 game DVD set on a Superbowl run in?. I think what we did these has been one of the best things to happen sports in a long time and I'm proud of the team for it.

my take on it is this....

THis is the way i would want it to go down. The Giants by doing what they did effectivly shit in everyone's cheerios. The NFL and America where all ready to crown the "Greatest Team Ever" and we came in and crashed that party.

The Sweetness of that victory and the run thru the playoffs is still quite palatable to me. The reason we are not picked to win the Division or really contend for a repeat is because we not the sexy team.

We don't have a squad full of superstars and ego's.

What we have is a TEAM!

A group of people that play for each other and the New York Giants. Thats what made it all the better.

...the only way this coulda been sweeter would have been if Scarlett Johansen had blown me at halftime.

(Okay, okay... if ANYBODY had blown me at halftime)

my take on it is this....

THis is the way i would want it to go down. The Giants by doing what they did effectivly shit in everyone's cheerios. The NFL and America where all ready to crown the "Greatest Team Ever" and we came in and crashed that party.

The Sweetness of that victory and the run thru the playoffs is still quite palatable to me. The reason we are not picked to win the Division or really contend for a repeat is because we not the sexy team.

We don't have a squad full of superstars and ego's.

What we have is a TEAM!

A group of people that play for each other and the New York Giants. Thats what made it all the better.

Exactly... I live in Dallas, and all the talk here is not if the Dallas Cowboys will make it to the SuperBowl. But whether how much are they going to win it by.

You know what i like about this team (Giants)? We're still the like 3rd youngest team in the league. We may still have 1 or 2 SB runs in us. :)

the dog thinks that this is perhaps because you aren't actually a member of the team or the organization...if the dog were a betting man, he would probably bet that the giant's players, coaches and staff members all probably feel the offseason was fairly enjoyable...

The question is not aimed at us, Giants fans, but to the sports world in general.

And I agree. The media went mostly to the Patriots and what a disappointment they were not necessarily how amazing the Giants defense was. Then the game was swept quickly and neatly under the rug to wait for another preseason of the Giants "sucking."

I hope they suck as badly as they did last year.