SportsWrath

Dan Connor right here!

RandolphScott

This tells me couple things.

The coaching staff likes gerris Wilkerson and Zak DeOssie, we know they like Blackburn as Pierces backup.

Mathias Kiwinauka will most likely stay at SLB.

And to a lesser extent, Strahan is coming back?

I think we can't assume Strahan is coming back from this draft pick. Don't forget they brought in Danny Clark from Texas, and still have Pierce, Wilkinson, and Kiwanuka. To me, they absolutely must draft a LB or even two on the 2nd day. And no later than the 4th. I trust Jerry Reese, though. I like Terrel Thomas' size and speed, though. Not a bad pick, because Madison is aging, I don't expect McQuarters to be around, and thus we need someone to really challenge Webster. I think that with this move and the Phillips pick, potentially we have really shored up our secondary to the point that it will be a strength to the team. With our pass rush and now a big time secondary, this already scary defense has potential to become one of the top defenses in recent memory.

I think we can't assume Strahan is coming back from this draft pick. Don't forget they brought in Danny Clark from Texas, and still have Pierce, Wilkinson, and Kiwanuka. To me, they absolutely must draft a LB or even two on the 2nd day. And no later than the 4th. I trust Jerry Reese, though. I like Terrel Thomas' size and speed, though. Not a bad pick, because Madison is aging, I don't expect McQuarters to be around, and thus we need someone to really challenge Webster. I think that with this move and the Phillips pick, potentially we have really shored up our secondary to the point that it will be a strength to the team. With our pass rush and now a big time secondary, this already scary defense has potential to become one of the top defenses in recent memory.

What I see is they want Wilkinson to replace Mitchell, Kiwinauka comes back and Clark takes over the Torbor role and Deossie takes over the Wilkinson role and yes they draft another LB. lets assume that Webster and Ross and Madison are 1 2 3 on the CB depth chart, you would think the would have takn a LBer if Mathias was going back to DE.

Do not underestimate how much Coughlin likes McQuarters. 2 Veterans behind 3 young guys is very Patriots like.

I am so pissed we didnt nab Connor. That was tooooo juicy to pass on, and we did for what?... Depth?? Ugh... I'm ill. :brooding:

The Giants have addressed their two most glaring holes in the backfield - safety and cornerback. Take note that our division rivals are stocking up on "fleet of foot" wide recievers and our secondary (especially CB) was already shaky.

As far as Conners goes, he's solid as a traditional linebacker, but he isn't fast and he's not good at rushing the QB. He's very good at taking the guy down after the ball has been caught, but I don't think he fits in Spag's scheme, which is "pressure, pressure, pressure" on the opposing QB. Phillips and Thomas both are adept at going after the QB when needed.

Damn I'm good. I'm seriously having some ESP about the Giants lately. Back in season like week 16 or something I posted something about how Jeremy Shockey would look good in the Saints offense, and that they really need a player like him. The trade didn't happen but still. Then in the "Best of the Rest" thread, out of all the prospects I posted the analysis for Mario Manningham. Is Reese a reader of Sportswrath, or am I just that good? OK, I'm done patting myself on the back now.