SportsWrath

Reese Holds Press Conference

BleedinBlue

Reese held a press conference yesterday and confirmed that there have been talks concerning trading Shockey and says Strahan will probably NOT have an answer about retirement before draft.

Reese confirms Shockey Trade Talk

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Friday April 18, 2008, 3:04 AM

Giants general manager Jerry Reese didn't tip his hand at all yesterday when talking about which players the team was hoping to select next weekend in the NFL Draft.

When the questions shifted to Jeremy Shockey and the trade rumors that just won't quit, Reese was equally vague.

"Right now, all I can say on Jeremy Shockey is he's our starting tight end," Reese told reporters at a pre-draft news conference. "There's always a lot of chatter going on during this time of the year. There's nothing else to write about ... so that's giving you something to write about. Right now, Jeremy is our starting tight end and that's really my stance on it."

The key words, of course, are "right now." In September? Even Reese acknowledged there are no guarantees.

In response to one question about Shockey and a potential salary cap hit, Reese said, "Everybody is tradable, no matter what." He also confirmed there have been trade talks involving Shockey, though he made it clear they were initiated by other teams, not the Giants.

Do any of these answers mean Shockey will play his seventh NFL season with another team -- perhaps the Saints or Dolphins, who have been rumored to be interested in his services? Of course not.

But the second-year GM didn't exactly raise his voice, slam his fist on the podium and declare Shockey will be a Giant for life. That's called leaving the door open -- which, as Reese noted, is enough to keep trade buzz about a high-profile player going.

"Anything can happen with personnel," Reese said. "But right now, Jeremy Shockey is our starting tight end and we're looking forward to him being back on the field for us this fall."

Reese said that time frame remains probable because all the Giants' doctors and trainers told him Shockey's rehab from a broken leg remains on schedule. Reese also said he'd spoken to Shockey recently, though a possible trade wasn't a major part of the discussion.

"Not really. It's just a lot of chatter. It happens every year," Reese said. "He's rehabbing. He's not here, but he never comes during the offseason, so that's not unusual."

Reese said he met with DE Michael Strahan last week and doesn't expect the 15-year veteran will make a decision on retirement before the draft.

"We'd like for Michael to make a decision before then, but I don't think that'll happen," Reese said. "He's been around, he deserves whatever time he needs to take. Sooner is better for us, but it's not going to (influence) any decision (about) what we're going to do in the draft."

But it very likely will influence where Mathias Kiwanuka plays next season. One year after the team secretly switched Kiwanuka from defensive end to linebacker (so as not to tip their hand for draft needs), Reese said Kiwanuka is currently penciled in as the starting strongside linebacker. But he hinted Kiwanuka could move back to the line -- if Strahan retires, of course.

"Kiwi gives us a lot of flexibility like that," Reese said.

Last year, Reese served as GM and director of player personnel -- a job he held since 2002. Marc Ross, hired as director of college scouting last May, is running the draft meetings.

"I knew all the players pretty much on the board last year. I don't know quite as many guys, and I'm still scrambling," Reese said. "Even after the (draft) meetings I'm still watching players and watching tape trying to familiarize myself with some of the players. ...

"I'm always a little bit nervous if I don't (scout) a guy (in person), but I trust Marc and I trust the scouts and our personnel department."

The Giants have already had talks about trading up in the first round from No. 31, Reese said. But as expected, he downplayed them as regular occurrences that might not pan out. Reese also said the team will weigh need vs. best player available.

The team's preseason schedule was tweaked yesterday. The Giants will open their exhibition season Aug. 7 at Detroit; they had been scheduled to travel to Carolina on Aug. 9.

I don't know, when someones name is in the news this much, even with this person denying it, it usually turns out to be true. Im starting to feel like Shock will be gone. I kind of agree with those who say our OC does not know how to use a TE, or at least doesnt use Shock like he should. And maybe with Boss showing some promise, if the deal sounds juicy enough Shock is a Saint here pretty soon. :unsure:

That's not good in regards to Shockey. Even in Cincinnati they are adamant about trading Chad Johnson, regardless of what they do or don't. These type of press conferences that Reese holds are often used to seperate business from personal, which makes it seem easier to trade guys.

Where are the Saints drafting?. Right now, I say we switch draft spots in the first and get a second for him.... if he goes, which he may not, but he might (speaking in Reeseeze of course).

I don't know, when someones name is in the news this much, even with this person denying it, it usually turns out to be true. Im starting to feel like Shock will be gone. I kind of agree with those who say our OC does not know how to use a TE, or at least doesnt use Shock like he should. And maybe with Boss showing some promise, if the deal sounds juicy enough Shock is a Saint here pretty soon. :unsure:

I think this is gone past the point with the guy that he's not been used properly. I agree with you that I feel he's not been. But as a defender of Shockey for years, it was hard to still do it around the Superbowl, especially seeing him upstairs in the box like that with the beers lined up. Furthermore as much as I think that's it's overblown about his not showing up for voluntary camp every year, the fact that Burress and Joseph showed up last year and he didn't looked bad. The Giants based a lot of their success last year on team unity. Everybody in one way shape or form bent, Coughlin especially. The only one that didn't was Shockey. Kiwi and Michael Jennings were both hurt and were on the sidelines with the team, Shock stayed away and then shows up for the Superbowl like a frat house boy.not good.

Again, I don't agree necessarily agree with the whole conformist thing but the Giants have hung their hat on it and won, so they look right regardless. The Giants without Shockey are not better than the Giants with Shockey, because he's the best tight end we have, it's foolish to say otherwise. But it's the team concept now, and it's that way or the highway and I think that's Reese's point in all of this.

What bothers me though is this, Shockey has never been one to shut his mouth and all these rumors have been going on for months and not once has he come out and said outright that he wants to stay with the Giants.

I think this is gone past the point with the guy that he's not been used properly. I agree with you that I feel he's not been. But as a defender of Shockey for years, it was hard to still do it around the Superbowl, especially seeing him upstairs in the box like that with the beers lined up. Furthermore as much as I think that's it's overblown about his not showing up for voluntary camp every year, the fact that Burress and Joseph showed up last year and he didn't looked bad. The Giants based a lot of their success last year on team unity. Everybody in one way shape or form bent, Coughlin especially. The only one that didn't was Shockey. Kiwi and Michael Jennings were both hurt and were on the sidelines with the team, Shock stayed away and then shows up for the Superbowl like a frat house boy.not good.

Again, I don't agree necessarily agree with the whole conformist thing but the Giants have hung their hat on it and won, so they look right regardless. The Giants without Shockey are not better than the Giants with Shockey, because he's the best tight end we have, it's foolish to say otherwise. But it's the team concept now, and it's that way or the highway and I think that's Reese's point in all of this.

What bothers me though is this, Shockey has never been one to shut his mouth and all these rumors have been going on for months and not once has he come out and said outright that he wants to stay with the Giants.

Wow, one of the most obvious things that I never thought of. Good point. Makes you believe he will be gone. But I have to say, I agree wholeheartedly on the not being with the team through injury. My buddies and I talked about it alot. We also said the same things when the camera caught him boozing it up. I think he's gone, and it'll be sorta hush hush until the word drops.

That's a superb point....that "Shockey has never mentioned once that he wishes to remain on the team".

I expect a trade to be made either during the draft (before the Giants pick) or right before the draft. I don't believe Shockey will be part of the team this coming season.

That's a superb point....that "Shockey has never mentioned once that he wishes to remain on the team".

I expect a trade to be made either during the draft (before the Giants pick) or right before the draft. I don't believe Shockey will be part of the team this coming season.

:cwy:

I don't think it is realistic to expect Boss to put up Shockey lik numbers when he plays. Shockey is a good player and a real asset to the O because he must be accounted for on every play or he will kill you.

That having been said, the one problem I have with Shockey is durability. I know he has only missed 4 games in the last 3 seasons but I am talking about durability not toughness. Shockey plays hurt when a lot of guys would sit but he is not 100% when he is doing it.

If the Gianst get the right deal I could see them moving him but it would take a lot in my mind to make it worthwhile. We would have to get a legitimate starter at either cb or safety that is considered to be at least in the top 15 at his position. We would have to get at least 2 draft picks outright or a swap of firsts and a 3rd.

Not sure anyone is going to jump at that kind of deal though.

How in the hell do you guys know that Shockey hasn't expressed interest in remaining with the team? I know you are all high authorities in the Giants camp and Shockey expresses personal details to you all the time(not to mention all the information from Reese you guys must be privy to), but still....

As in, just because he's not being public(which is extremely good) about where he wants to play, doesn't mean he doesn't want to be a Giant. The one person not hyping up this trade is Shockey. And I personally think that's just as good a sign as publicly stating he wants to be a Giant would be.

I love how the media nit picks and LOOKs for a way to keep the story alive. Reese says, "Right now, Shockey is our starting TE." Then the media says, "Well he said right now, but what about in September?" LET IT GO!!!!!!!

The headline alone is misleading. REESE CONFIRMS TRADE RUMORS!!!!!! He said there have been trade talks, but the talks were other teams calling the Giants to see if Shockey was available to trade, NOT the Giants shopping Shockey. I HATE THE FUCKING MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!

MONEY DOESN’T FORCE GIANTS TO MOVE SHOCKEY

Posted by Mike Florio - ProFootballTalk on April 18, 2008, 10:41 a.m.

One of the facts that he been lost in the question of whether the New York Giants will trade tight end Jeremy Shockey is the dollars and the cents.

A league source tells us that Shockey is due to earn only (only?) $1.9 million in 2008. Thus, the Giants can afford to keep him, and thus they very well might.

Next year, the analysis changes, when Shockey’s base salary surpasses $3.5 million. By then, it might make sense for the team to move him.

We’re also hearing that Shockey’s desire to be traded doesn’t arise only from the fact that he’s still having trouble dealing with the team’s playoff run and Super Bowl win without him. Shockey, as we’re told, also is angling for a new deal.

The problem, as a practical matter, is that few teams will be inclined to make the investment of cash and picks necessary to get him, given that he’s still recovering from a serious leg injury.

In the end, it’s possible that a deal will only be done if the package includes a conditional 2009 draft pick based on his performance in 2008, and if he agrees to a contract that diverts a big chunk of the money to per-game roster bonuses or incentives.

"...a report from Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News that makes the possible move seem a lot more likely that many previously realized or believed.

Vacchiano writes that Shockey “has told friends he would welcome a trade” to the Saints, and that Shockey “has been sounding off for more than a month” regarding frustrations with the Giants.

How in the hell do you guys know that Shockey hasn't expressed interest in remaining with the team? I know you are all high authorities in the Giants camp and Shockey expresses personal details to you all the time(not to mention all the information from Reese you guys must be privy to), but still....

As in, just because he's not being public(which is extremely good) about where he wants to play, doesn't mean he doesn't want to be a Giant. The one person not hyping up this trade is Shockey. And I personally think that's just as good a sign as publicly stating he wants to be a Giant would be.

I stand up for you all the time Storm, but seriously calm the fuck down. No-one here said we are experts on anything and are just writing what we think. What's the issue?, and who exactly is being influenced so strongly by 3 guys on a message board. Did anyone on here say "I have it on high authority from the Giants"???

I love how the media nit picks and LOOKs for a way to keep the story alive. Reese says, "Right now, Shockey is our starting TE." Then the media says, "Well he said right now, but what about in September?" LET IT GO!!!!!!!

The headline alone is misleading. REESE CONFIRMS TRADE RUMORS!!!!!! He said there have been trade talks, but the talks were other teams calling the Giants to see if Shockey was available to trade, NOT the Giants shopping Shockey. I HATE THE FUCKING MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!

yah, that's what i'm saying...no one knows one way or the other and to hypothesize that Shockey wants to be traded based upon media and what his 'friends' say is ridiculous, imo. Fact is, Shockey makes the team better and unless we receive potential draft picks that will also improve the team, we won't trade him. Obv.

I don't see any way we trade him for what NO is offering. Their deal is weak and unless they initiate something else that especially includes some proven players, we aren't gonna do it.

I stand up for you all the time Storm, but seriously calm the fuck down. No-one here said we are experts on anything and are just writing what we think. What's the issue?, and who exactly is being influenced so strongly by 3 guys on a message board. Did anyone on here say "I have it on high authority from the Giants"???

okay fine, ignore the first like two sentences, i apologize prolly could have been less harsh, do you not agree that what i am saying makes perfect sense?

According to several news sources I've read this morning, Shockey has let it be known to the coaches since December that he wants out. He has not been happy as a Giant since Fassel left and feels he is not being used right in the offensive scheme where he is required to do much more blocking and a lot less recieving.

Apparantly he thinks "blocking" causes too much wear and tear on him and that's why he breaks down by the end of the season. He wants to be more of a recieving TE, but the offensive schemes TC wants to use prefers a TE to do a lot more blocking than recieving. And that's the main issue that has caused Shockey to be unhappy. Apparantly, Shockey told Shianco two years ago that he (Shianco) should stay with the Giants because he would become the no.1 TE shortly because he (Shockey) would be gone soon.

One of the problems the Giants face is that colleges today rarely groom TE's anymore in the mold of a Witten or Bavaro. Colleges are going to 4 reciever sets instead.....so to find a good traditional TE that can block the way TC wants is going to be tough.

My bet is (for whatever that's worth), the reason TC likes using a TE for blocking more than receiving is to give Eli additional protection and time to make a good play. The quick signing of Madison Hedgecock might have been heavily influenced by the fact that he is also a great blocker and helps fortify the offensive line.

Anyway, draft day is one week from today and I bet you there will be some significant changes and probably a trade or two before the time the Giants pick. Just my gut feeling.

okay fine, ignore the first like two sentences, i apologize prolly could have been less harsh, do you not agree that what i am saying makes perfect sense?

It's your opinion, you're entitled to it. So are we and I don't see anything wrong with what I'm saying either. There have been plenty of athletes come out and say they would love to stay on a team.

And although you're point about Shockey may make sense, in the past Shockety has shown that he has no problem speaking up regardless. I mean the guy used to have a weekly article in the Post and was always outspoken with the media. Furthermore, guess who his agent is, Drew Rosenhaus, have you ever seen this guy ignore the media.

Look, once again, I've gone to great lengths on here, to the point of getting into ugly arguments defending Shockey and if you look at my first post, I still point out we're better off with him. But I sense now all is not well.

One of the problems the Giants face is that colleges today rarely groom TE's anymore in the mold of a Witten or Bavaro. Colleges are going to 4 reciever sets instead.....so to find a good traditional TE that can block the way TC wants is going to be tough.

:mellow:

Um, BleedinBlue, I hope you're not talking about Jason Witten? He's is with out doubt, one of the worse blocking TE in the league. Its one of the main reason why the Cowboys drafted Fosano... Jason Witten has been called soft in run blocking by two different coaching staffs on radio. That's not good...

Still beating this horse I see. The Shockey getting traded story needs to get put to rest. Its been going on for months and has lead to nothing. There hasn't been a new shred of news on this story in months.

I would be very disappointed if Strahan retires and they move Kiwanuka back to DE and give him the starting spot over Justin Tuck. Tuck deserves that spot on the line.

Um, BleedinBlue, I hope you're not talking about Jason Witten? He's is with out doubt, one of the worse blocking TE in the league. Its one of the main reason why the Cowboys drafted Fosano... Jason Witten has been called soft in run blocking by two different coaching staffs on radio. That's not good...

Exactly, he's no Howard Cross.

Ive heard him called soft as well. Blocking aint his thing.

Still beating this horse I see. The Shockey getting traded story needs to get put to rest. Its been going on for months and has lead to nothing. There hasn't been a new shred of news on this story in months.

I would be very disappointed if Strahan retires and they move Kiwanuka back to DE and give him the starting spot over Justin Tuck. Tuck deserves that spot on the line.

In all fairness, Kiwi had demonstrated he was the heir apparent to Strahan in his rookie season. It's not his fault he was moved to a new position, it wasn't because he played badly at DE, in fact just the opposite. If Kiwi is moved back, who starts really doesn't matter because both he and Tuck will see tons of time in the rotation.

I didn't mean in "blocking", I meant in ringing up big yards in short to medium plays. Since most colleges are going to a 4 WR set, they aren't grooming big tough guys to catch the ball in the manner of Whitten and Bavaro.

Why dont more people realize this? If you think Kevin Boss will put up Shockey's production, than you just dont like Shockey. Cauze its not happening.

Look, I love Shockey, but it ain't all about numbers. Everyone on that team bent last year to build unity, except Shockey. Even Plax worked out in Jersey last year, we win the super bowl and prove team chemistry is huge, and still shockey works out in miami. Thats not a huge deal, but he shows he is unwilling to bend for the betterment of the team.

I'm a huge shockey fan, and will be no matter where he plays, but right about now I just can't say we are a better team with him on it.