SportsWrath

Todays camp news

Lughead

http://mvn.com/nfl-giants/2007/08/01/pract...other-good-day/

Practice Report - Eli Manning has Another Good Day

By Hazem Kiswani | August 1st, 2007

E-mail | Print | Share

p1_shockey2_lahan.jpg Shockey - cnn.net

Another good day for Spags' Soldiers, more good signs from Eli, Jacobs DESTRUCTION of Gibril Wilson on the goal line, here's the practice report:

- Ryan Kuehl's injury last night could keep him from making the roster. The long snapper will be out for at least six weeks, and the Giants have other guys capable of taking care of the long snapping duties.

- The linebacker position is looking very solid. Kawika Mitchell had another good day, showing that reliable tackling the Giants brought him in for. He got to the running backs every time the Giants O-Line opened up a hole. Reggie Torbor has been hot the last couple of days, especially in coverage. He's been breaking up a lot of pass plays and been one of the best players on D with regards to the second unit.

- Umenyiora continues to look like an absolute beast off the edge. He's coming off the ball very well, and is showing off a nice array of finesse moves compared to last year where we saw him trying to just go outside of his man and using the left arm to get back in the pocket. He also blew up a draw play. Diehl and Whimper certainly can't handle him, and if he keeps playing the way he has been I can't imagine many other tackles around the NFL will be able to handle him.

- Eli Manning's zip and accuracy is encouraging. He threw ins and outs very well today, and whenever he got time he put the football right on the money. He's setting his feet and looking more settled back there, leading to a lot more accuracy on those short passes to the flats and over the middle we saw him blow several times last year.

- Justin Tuck was in the backfield often today. He got good pressure on the quarterback, picked up a sack, and blew up some running plays.

- Shockey is really exciting me so far. He's put on serious bulk and every time he touches the ball it seems like no one wants to tackle him. He's caught the ball well and all the quarterbacks have targeted him often.

- The running backs still haven't been all that impressive - really not much to say about them as the running room hasn't been there, but Jacobs had a play that had every one going 'ooooooooooooooooh' in the goal line drills. He blew right through the line and absolutely bulldozed Gibril Wilson for the easy TD in typical Jacobs fashion.

-The O-Line is still being owned by the D-Line day in and day out, whether it be the first unit or second. The offense would be doing much better if the play in front of them picked up because the position players have all impressed. Speaking of position players, Steve Smith had a nice catch from Eli Manning, dodging defenders over the middle.

Note

Nothing on Rice yet, still working on that. Check back later.

Pretty good report. I like how all signs are pointing to a real defense this year, not a swiss cheese one.

First time I have heard about Osi blowing up the oline. That is either real bad for us, as in Diehl and Whimper are not cutting it at LT, or really good in that Osi is fully recovered and can get back to doing what he does best.

Hopefully he shuts his fucking mouth from now on though.

Pretty good report. I like how all signs are pointing to a real defense this year, not a swiss cheese one.

First time I have heard about Osi blowing up the oline. That is either real bad for us, as in Diehl and Whimper are not cutting it at LT, or really good in that Osi is fully recovered and can get back to doing what he does best.

Hopefully he shuts his fucking mouth from now on though.

My only worry about that is that the o-line sucks so far. That could be a huge reason why the D has been looking so good. I'm not real happy about the no running room part, but it's still early. I'm happy to hear that Eli is better setting his feet and throwing hard accurate passes.

Great news to hear about Eli, since early reports out of camp had him looking like poop. :D

Not so great about the running game and O-line... unless Spags has these guys so fired up and aggressive that they're going to be mauling people all year.

I like how Shockey kept his mouth shut today. I'd like to see more of that in the future.

Kuehl being out might be a blessing in disguise. I don't want him cut due to an injury, but if he went on IR, I wouldn't weep too hard, since we have people (PEOPLE!!) who can long snap. I think it would be a good idea to use Kuehl's spot for an extra OT, especially if a decent backup shows up later. Whimper isn't exactly putting me in awe right now, and I was hoping that he would.

The headline says "Manning has another good day"

where you getting this looking like crap?

I did read in toady's Post that his teammates were shouting "QUACK!! QUACK!!" after a poor throw yesterday.

I know that doesn't mean he's been bad all of camp, just thought it was a little funny...

My only worry about that is that the o-line sucks so far. That could be a huge reason why the D has been looking so good. I'm not real happy about the no running room part, but it's still early. I'm happy to hear that Eli is better setting his feet and throwing hard accurate passes.

You can't really tell how good a group is going to be until they play against another team. Maybe in the second preseason game we should have an idea.

The headline says "Manning has another good day"

where you getting this looking like crap?

I've read so many articles the past few days that I can't remember exactly where, but on day one, I was reading reports that Eli looked "rusty" and "inaccurate," on the second day, he looked "like the third best QB" and on the third day he looked "inaccurate" again. Or maybe two of those were about the same day... like I said, it's getting hard to decipher it all.

On a lot of them, they commented that Eli would follow a great throw up with a real crap one.

I've read so many articles the past few days that I can't remember exactly where, but on day one, I was reading reports that Eli looked "rusty" and "inaccurate," on the second day, he looked "like the third best QB" and on the third day he looked "inaccurate" again. Or maybe two of those were about the same day... like I said, it's getting hard to decipher it all.

On a lot of them, they commented that Eli would follow a great throw up with a real crap one.

So, Eli is in mid-season form.

It was them damn Blue dots that threw him off. :LMAO:

I did read in toady's Post that his teammates were shouting "QUACK!! QUACK!!" after a poor throw yesterday.

I know that doesn't mean he's been bad all of camp, just thought it was a little funny...

they also chanted "aflac!" at him :LMAO:

My thoughts exactly. But as Nesta said, facing osi all camp has to make them better on the left side. I think the D will be fine, but between the fact that Osi AND Tuck are getting pressure, on top of no running room for the RB's, I am worried as shit about the line this year.

My thoughts exactly. But as Nesta said, facing osi all camp has to make them better on the left side. I think the D will be fine, but between the fact that Osi AND Tuck are getting pressure, on top of no running room for the RB's, I am worried as shit about the line this year.

Nothing new really. I've been worring about the line for years now.

That wasn't a pass, it was a trick play to run the cllock out. TC called a play with a few seconds left on the clock where Eli was basically supposed to throw the ball as high as he could in the direction of a reciever that went out of bounds. Throwing the ball almost straight up is very difficult.

Nothing new really. I've been worring about the line for years now.

True, but we always have that silver lining of hope that they will exceed expectations, like fish said, we hope Whimper will thrive or Deihl will step up or they will find a way to get the job done. The hope is still there, but it's taking a hit.

Nothing about Kiwi and the other safety, pretty boy Demps or Butler. I wonder how thats going?

True, but we always have that silver lining of hope that they will exceed expectations, like fish said, we hope Whimper will thrive or Deihl will step up or they will find a way to get the job done. The hope is still there, but it's taking a hit.

You know, if Tuck is getting pressure, then I think that's a good sign about our defense. As far as I know, there isn't anything wrong with MacKenzie, so it might just mean the defense is a little ahead of the offense.

I know I'm going to get a lot of shit for this. I think Diehl and O'Hara are average pass blocker at best. I just don't see how Diehl is going survive playing LT.

You know, if Tuck is getting pressure, then I think that's a good sign about our defense. As far as I know, there isn't anything wrong with MacKenzie, so it might just mean the defense is a little ahead of the offense.

It always takes those big honkey's on the O-line a little longer to get into playing shape. If they are still getting blown off the line by the end of next week there might be something to worry about.

Im glad Jacobs is getting practice against a blitz happy agressive defense. Its that type of D that concerns me regarding him. He is going to have to find ways to make things happen, even when there is nothing there. I think the improvment of our defense alone will bring us at least 2 more wins than last year. :clap: