SportsWrath

Giants trade for Kicker

Moss18

Ha, he's Scottish.

As for distance, "2006: Booted 58 of his 86 kickoffs inside the 10-yard line with one touchback". Doesn't sound too bad.

doesnt sound all that great either. <_<

the good news is that this is a conditional pick. If Huston beats him out in camp and we release him, we don't lose any picks. If we keep him and becomes our starting kicker then we might lose a 6th or 7th but remember we might get some compensatory picks next year. I think its a good move because it will give Huston some competition, who will will the job anyway. I don't see Tynes making the team.

After seeing that Tynes' accuracy isn't all the greatest IN KANSAS FUCKING CITY, I can't imagine his accuracy in Giants Stadium....

On the bright side, he IS Scottish, so there should be much more haggas and bagpipes at Giants stadium this year.

The Giants are high on Huston so they say, but going into camp they clearly needed to have an experienced kicker in camp. I see nothing wrong with this move. New Orleans giving Miami a 5th for Olindo Mare when it was clear he was getting cut is a lot worse than this.

Agreed. We have a good kicker and we revert back to a Matt Bryant type kicker. Why?

Money. Feely wanted a deal comparable to what other similar kickers signed (I don't recemer the exact numbers; somewhere in the ballpark of 3 years, $6 million), and the Giants felt that was too expensive. They also probably undervalued the contract he'd attract on an open market, figuring that he'd eventually settle for less money to resign with them.

Tynes is worse than Feely, but given the circumstances he's a worthwhile low-cost gamble. He's pretty much a hedge against Huston totally faltering and the Giants having to scramble to find an NFL-caliber kicker before Week 1. For an insurance policy, he's certainly good enough...but it's still Huston's job to lose.

Truth be told, Matt Bryant really isn't that bad. His career number are pretty solid, and I think a lot of struggles here were directly tied to prevelant problems with field conditions, long-snappers, and holders. Like Tynes, he's turned out to be a thoroughly average kicker. In that regard, you could do a lot worse I suppose...