SportsWrath

"Kiwi, can you make the transition to LB?"

so-cal dub

Kiwi being told he'll play LB this up coming season. :o

--link--

It's official: Kiwi to LB

Posted by Mike Garafolo April 29, 2007 6:45PM

Wondering why the Giants didn't draft a linebacker yesterday? It's because they feel like they don't need one. GM Jerry Reese just confirmed in his post-draft press conference Mathias Kiwanuka will switch from defensive end to linebacker. In fact, Reese said Kiwanuka, last year's first-round pick, is slated to be the starter on the strong side right now. It's an idea they've been kicking around since January and are prepared to move forward on right now.

Reese said Gerris Wilkinson, last year's third-round pick, and Kawika Mitchell, a recent free-agent signing, will compete for the starting job on the weak side.

I hope it works out, but I don't like it.

I really liked him as Strahan's replacement in a year or two. Why not just draft a LB? Strahan gets hurt pretty often now, and Tuck hasn't ever played a full season yet (in spot duty).

Kiwi will be back at DE by week 10.

I hope it works out, but I don't like it.

I really liked him as Strahan's replacement in a year or two. Why not just draft a LB? Strahan gets hurt pretty often now, and Tuck hasn't ever played a full season yet (in spot duty).

Kiwi will be back at DE by week 10.

dude, I don't know. He is fast and could be able to use that speed to turn the corner. I like the move and I would love for it to work out. I assume the Tuck at DT is over.

Guys the kid we got from Brown is a gift. He was the fastest LB in the draft and the knock against him was he didn't play against real competition. Now I know Brown is no Texas or Oklahoma but the kid had an NFL Dad is super smart and is big. I love this pick.

Guys the kid we got from Brown is a gift. He was the fastest LB in the draft and the knock against him was he didn't play against real competition. Now I know Brown is no Texas or Oklahoma but the kid had an NFL Dad is super smart and is big. I love this pick.

I like our draft.

I'm not sure about Kiwi becoming LB. I'd have to see the guy on the field first. Besides, if it's true, we're going to need a DE to supplement Strahan, no?

I dont think this is a long term move. This is just to implement schemes where we can get Kiwi on the field as much as possible. I still think Kiwi is our DE of the future, unless he dominates at OLB.

Kinda like the Papelbon experiment for Boston. They felt that Paps was the starter of the future, but needed a closer so they experimented with him. As it turns out, they found their dominant closer of the future. Hopefully we get the same results.

When you consider that Kiwi has more Ints than any of our other Lbers it makes some sense. He proved on those zone blitzes that he could play in coverage and I bet it could be difficult to block him on the strongside coming on a blitz. Not to mention this also could be a precursor to the post Strahan era and a move towards a 3/4, with Kiwi as the upright LB lined up at the line of scrimmage.

I like it, it gets our best players on the field and I would rather him be on the field then backing up.

I don't klike it at all. Don't get me wrong I think he can do it, but he was more valuble at DE, spelling Strahan and an imediate starter proven replacement when he gets hurt.

I agree. Plus, I think Kiwi is to long legged to play LB. He looks unatural running more than 10 yards. Plus, who's our other DE beside Tuck, Osi, and Strahan?

I don't klike it at all. Don't get me wrong I think he can do it, but he was more valuble at DE, spelling Strahan and an imediate starter proven replacement when he gets hurt.

He has to get on the field VG one way or another . if Strahan needs a breather Kiwi can slide up to DE and one of you LBers can fill in Kiwis spot.

Strahan should be traded next year it would be a good business decision help us and help him we get picks and he gets $ to pay off the bitch. As much as I would like to see Strahan retire a Giant this would be the best option for him and us.

providing he has a good year to bolster his trade commodity .

On a serious note, I hate this idea. When you draft a guy with the idea that one day he'll be your starting DE, you don't switch him around like this. He could very well be great in the position, but to me this just smacks of "we didn't draft correctly like year".

There were at least 2 linebackers at 20 when the Giants drafted yesterday. maybe you should have gotten one then????

On a serious note, I hate this idea. When you draft a guy with the idea that one day he'll be your starting DE, you don't switch him around like this. He could very well be great in the position, but to me this just smacks of "we didn't draft correctly like year".

There were at least 2 linebackers at 20 when the Giants drafted yesterday. maybe you should have gotten one then????

Yeah and wasn't Eric Wright still there for us in the second round? Meaning if we wanted a corner that bad he's servicable.

Harry Carson started at DE then got moved to LB.

I dont like it either, but it may turn out really well for us.

I wouldn't have liked that move either. Furthermore, last year we were decimated with injuries at defensive end. Tuck, Osi and Stra were all out for long periods last year. Unless they are planning on bringingin some defensive end free agent from somewhere as backup, I don't think this move makes sense. But hopefully I'm wrong.

Yeah and wasn't Eric Wright still there for us in the second round? Meaning if we wanted a corner that bad he's servicable.

I don't mind getting Ross, or Wright for that matter. But I don't see us saying we're moving Gibril to corner because he's a good athlete. I would have rather us get the guy in the first round that fills the postiion we needed the most help in (linebacker)

I don't mind getting Ross, or Wright for that matter. But I don't see us saying we're moving Gibril to corner because he's a good athlete. I would have rather us get the guy in the first round that fills the postiion we needed the most help in (linebacker)

It's swirling around out there that we are still talking with Al Wilson. So maybe thats why. That and the Kiwi thing.

Kiwanuka could be our next LT :ph34r:

imagine having to stop him and Strahan coming from the same side or stunting up the middle with Cofield on blitzes :rock:

It's swirling around out there that we are still talking with Al Wilson. So maybe thats why. That and the Kiwi thing.

I still think Al Wilson will pass our 2nd Physical.

Jerry Reese: "okay Al lets start, pick up that pen"

Wilson: "okay, done, what now?"

Jerry Reese:"Okay, sign your name here at the bottom of this incentive based contract"

Wilson: " (writing) done, what now Mr. Reese"

Reese: "Al, congrats, you've just passed your physical!"