SportsWrath

Will the Giants go WR

Lughead

bloglogo.gif

Giants Thinking WR at 20?

By Dan Benton | April 15th, 2007

Print | E-mail

Dwayne_Jarrett.jpg Jarrett - Draftinsiders.com

One thing I’ve learned being a Giants fan for so many years is to expect the unexpected. Last year during the draft was a prime example when the Giants took Mathias Kiwanuka. So far this offseason that has been the case as well; bringing back Tom Coughlin, trading for Reuben Droughns and releasing Luke Petitgout and Lavar Arrington — oh, that’s not to mention the signing of Anthony “the wrong stuff” Wright.

So what should we expect this year during the draft? Well, the overwhelming majority of fans seem to think the Giants will draft a linebacker or trade out of the first round. My personal belief was that they would trade their pick, while my hope was that they’d draft Paul Posluszny.

Ralph Vacchiano seems to think that neither of those will happen. According to his MSG blog, Vacchiano seems to think that all signs are pointing to the Giants drafting a wide receiver in the first round; a certain kiss of death if you ask me.

We all got a good chuckle when Hazem picked Dwayne Jarrett in his mock draft but perhaps he was onto something. With Tim Carter gone, Amani Toomer coming back from an injury and little depth behind Sinorice Moss, there is a serious need for a wide receiver. Since the Giants have already interviewed Dwayne Jarrett, a certain first round pick, the writing appears to be on the wall.

if a guy like Jarrett is there at 20 we should take him. A guy with his ability is hard to pass up on at #20. For all we know, we may be set at OLB. Wilkinson we think can be a starter of the future and Mitchell is a proven 100 tackle LB that can hold down the fort for a year, and we can evaluate where we are at LB. And Kiwi may be able to have an impact too.

I would personally trade down if Jarrett fell to 20 and use him as trade bait (maybe we can acquire a future first rounder from a team that wants to acquire another 1st rounder). but i would not have a problem if we took him, or even dwayne bowe from LSU.

Well with Amani Toomer getting close to retirement, the cry baby bullshit from Plaxico Burress and the unsure state of Sinorice Moss, if this kid is there I say take him, did you guys see the last two or three games the guy played?

Toomer going down and the Offense going to shit also says otherwise. I don't think we need a 1st round WR but then again.

i just have a problem of us desperately needing toomer and plax to play 32 games a year. i need some insurance.

Jarrett is actually one of my favorite college players and I'd love to see him in Giants Blue. My one problem with drafting him aside from the obvious needs on defense) is we have the same style receiver in Plaxico Burress.

Jarrett is actually one of my favorite college players and I'd love to see him in Giants Blue. My one problem with drafting him aside from the obvious needs on defense) is we have the same style receiver in Plaxico Burress.

thats what my worry is too.

Yeah, I can't wait to draft a WR that runs 4.7 in the forty. :drool: That's exactly what we need, a WR that can be covered by a DT. :rolleyes:

When will people learn? This team needs more speed! Especially on Defense! Yeah, I know, I know...Speed and 40 times isn't everything. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I can't wait to draft a WR that runs 4.7 in the forty. :drool: That's exactly what we need, a WR that can be covered by a DT. :rolleyes:

When will people learn? This team needs more speed! Especially on Defense! Yeah, I know, I know...Speed and 40 times isn't everything. :rolleyes:

Even with a 4.7, Jarrett proved he could stretch the field in college. And he goes over the middle in the red zone.

if a guy like Jarrett is there at 20 we should take him. A guy with his ability is hard to pass up on at #20. For all we know, we may be set at OLB. Wilkinson we think can be a starter of the future and Mitchell is a proven 100 tackle LB that can hold down the fort for a year, and we can evaluate where we are at LB. And Kiwi may be able to have an impact too.

I would personally trade down if Jarrett fell to 20 and use him as trade bait (maybe we can acquire a future first rounder from a team that wants to acquire another 1st rounder). but i would not have a problem if we took him, or even dwayne bowe from LSU.

Dwayne Bowe would be my choice....... Jarrett runs like Jason Sehorn while his pants are falling off.

Why not use up one of those extra 7th round picks on the rights to Jeff Samarjzdia? Wouldn't be the first time someone used a late round pick on a player who might bomb in the major leagues.

he seems pretty set on his decision for at least a few years.

keep in mind, the texans drafted henson and when henson came back to the NFL he went to the cowboys.

Best player available amongst the available WR, CB, & LB. In other words, if Jarrett and Polucsny are both available, you have to ask yourself, Is Jarrett better at being a WR than Polucsny is being a LB or is it the other way around?

• 4 weeks later...
How come Jarret was open so much? I didn't realize he is THAT slow. 4.7 for a WR is sloooowwwwwww. IMO

I loved Jeff Samardzjia from ND but he's playing baseball for the flippin Cubs. :furious:

He was open so much because he plays faster than he times (and he was hurt when he ran in the 4.6's), and he's a great football player. Plus, he knows how to use his frame. Even when he's covered, he's open. Those that discredit Jarrett's potential on the strength of his 40-time are conducting lazy analysis and clearly have never watched the guy play. He's a stud.

Why not use up one of those extra 7th round picks on the rights to Jeff Samarjzdia? Wouldn't be the first time someone used a late round pick on a player who might bomb in the major leagues.

It would be a worthless investment unless there is reason to believe that Jeff would quit baseball and opt to play football before the 2008 draft. Otherwise, if he continues to play baseball and doesn't sign a contract, then he would re-enter the draft in 2008.

By comparison, the Texans drafted Drew Henson with a 6th round pick in 2004. Before the 2005 draft, he announced that he was quitting baseball to play football. They had to trade his rights before the draft took place, otherwise he would have re-entered the draft and they would have gotten no return on their investment. Since he committed to playing football his value increased, and the Texans traded his rights to Dallas for a 3rd round pick in '05 draft.