SportsWrath

Jay Feely

Lughead

A contract that he likes anyway

Aurthur Staple Blog from NEWSDAY

Strahan Staying Put... O'Hara and Feely? Not So Much

Remember when we said a whole day ago that Shaun O'Hara's contract was just about done? Hmmm... Maybe not.

The Giants and O'Hara's reps are, in the words of a person with knowledge of the negotiations, "butting heads" over the most recent offer. O'Hara no doubt feels he's worth something close to the six-year, $30-million (with a $10-million bonus) deal Andre Gurode got from the Cowboys; the Giants are offering roughly $8-million less and said to not be budging.

Free agency begins about 51 hours from now, and O'Hara would be the top center available. These things do change rapidly, so we'll see who blinks first.

The Giants are seemingly going to be searching for a kicker too, with some significant difference between their offer and what Jay Feely wants. There aren't too many youngish kickers on the FA market, so this could be a risky move. But it appears, for now, that Feely's going to hit the open market on Friday.

That's not going to be the case for Michael Strahan -- and not just because he's under contract for two more years. A person in the know told my old buddy Blauber that the Giants won't be cutting or trading No. 92; Strahan may try to extract some more money from Jerry Reese when the two meet soon, but I can't really see how Strahan's going to do that.

He's 35, he's played 1 1/2 of the last 3 seasons and did I mention he's 35? He can still be a valuable player, especially in a more aggressive defense that new coordinator Steve Spagnuolo may bring, so he won't be discarded. But I doubt he'll wrangle extra dough.

By tomorrow, O'Hara and Feely could be signed and Strahan could be on his way out... It's that time of year.

who is out there for Kickers?

From Paul Swartzof the New York Post:LINK

in this read :

Josh brown of the Seahawks is off the market. He got "Chised"

Brandon Jacobs boy's can swim.

of all the kickers in this year's combine only one reached the endzone once.

FEELY THREATENS TO LEAVE GIANTS

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

February 28, 2007 -- The start of NFL free agency comes Friday and Jay Feely is sure of one thing: He's headed to the open market.

"I'm definitely headed to free agency," the Giants kicker told The Post yesterday from his Michigan home. "There's no doubt in my mind. That doesn't mean I'm not going to be a Giant."

Feely the past two years performed well for the Giants and he strongly wants to return. He just doesn't know if it will make financial sense for him to do so. Attempts last season at putting together a contract extension never resulted in a new deal, and the offer the Giants have on the table is far below what Feely considers market rate.

Three veteran kickers - the Rams' Jeff Wilkins, Buffalo's Rian Lindell and Ryan Longwell of the Vikings- essentially have the same contract: five years, $10 million with a signing bonus (or guaranteed money) totaling about $3 million. If the Giants presented Feely with those numbers, he'd sign today.

Thus far, Feely said, the Giants' offer is "nowhere near that."

Following the season, Feely said he had productive talks with coach Tom Coughlin and first-year GM Jerry Reese, but talk and action are two different things.

"At some point, they have to say they want me," Feely said.

Already, Feely, 30, is sizing up the competition. He noted that of the seven kickers at the NFL Scouting Combine, only one reached the end zone on a kickoff. As for veterans, the kicker with the most impressive pedigree, Seattle's Josh Brown, will not hit the market, as he's been designated the franchise player by the Seahawks. That was a fortuitous move for Feely, who now is the most accomplished kicker soon-to-be available.

With the Giants, Feely was 58 of 69 on field goals for 255 points in his two seasons.

"This is the first time I've been able to go into free agency coming off the two best years of my career," Feely said. "I've got some power, or whatever you want to call it."

Teams likely in need of a kicker include the Falcons, Cowboys, Dolphins and Chiefs.

Avoiding free agency, long-snapper Ryan Kuehl yesterday re-signed with the Giants. Kuehl has handled every snap for punts, extra points and field goals the past three seasons.

"Counting the year I spent on the practice squad, this will be my 12th season," Kuehl, 35, said. "That's about 12 more than I thought I'd play."

This news greatly pleased punter Jeff Feagles, who has a close working-relationship with Kuehl.

"He's a true professional, he takes his job very seriously and it shows with his production on the field," Feagles said.

Two Giants yesterday enjoyed productive days. Kim Jacobs, wife of RB Brandon Jacobs, gave birth to the couple's first child, son Brayden, who takes after his father, weighing in a 9 pounds. 4 ounces and measuring 221/4 inches long. Jodi Seubert, wife of guard Rich Seubert, gave birth to the couple's second child, son Isaac Richard.

ready, Feely, 30, is sizing up the competition. He noted that of the seven kickers at the NFL Scouting Combine, only one reached the end zone on a kickoff.

Feely has the gall to say that only one kicker reached the end zone?

Note to Jay, you can`t even make a 45 yard field goal.

I can say with confidence that I can come in and miss 3 game winners for significantly less than Feely is asking.

I still haven't forgiven him for that shit either. The least clutch kicker in the league... that's why Atlanta wasn't sad to see him go.

Bye, Feely. Your last name sucks anyway.

I still haven't forgiven him for that shit either. The least clutch kicker in the league... that's why Atlanta wasn't sad to see him go.

Bye, Feely. Your last name sucks anyway.

Im just going to miss Chris Berman singing the who when he talks about JAy :rolleyes:

Jay feely is on Cold Pizza again this morning. Seems to be on that show a lot. He will probley end up doing the Tiki think with out the bad mouthing. He was just on there kicking footballs over the top of disney studios with Mini mouse doing the holding. now he is at the desk with skip Baylis (sp) and some other guy talking about college basketball .

looks like he will not be in New York today signing any papers.

Jay feely is on Cold Pizza again this morning. Seems to be on that show a lot. He will probley end up doing the Tiki think with out the bad mouthing. He was just on there kicking footballs over the top of disney studios with Mini mouse doing the holding. now he is at the desk with skip Baylis (sp) and some other guy talking about college basketball .

Praise God! :worshippy: :rolleyes:

good, we dont need anymore camera whores like him

The Giants have decided to let kicker Jay Feely go to free agency.

He'll have interest from the Dolphins, Cowboys and Falcons and should

command a long-term deal. The Giants are interested in giving undrafted

free agent Josh Huston, whom they signed in January, a shot at the job.

LINK

Josh Huston?

Feely is a decent kicker, he's the best option available. What are you dudes smoking? He's coming off the best 2 years of his career and is the best kicker we've had in a while...remember Matt Bryant?!