SportsWrath

Rumors of McGahee to Giants arise

gateb

link

A few notes:

I would love to have McGahee for anything not a first rounder. I'll give up a 2nd rounder max for him, as long as we are sure we can get the contract extension done. Anyone that is a Giants fan and doesn't want him is stupid. McGahee does come with baggage, but not one that will throw hissy fits on the field or be a complete team distraction, especially if he gets paid. He is much more explosive then Tiki, is a very powerful runner, and is immensely talented.

“We’re looking for Brandon probably to carry the ball 20 times and another running back 15 times,” Reese said. “(Jacobs) will carry the max amount of the load for us, I’m assuming, if everything goes like we expect it to.”

I don't get what Reese is saying there. Run it 35 times a game? That's insane, I don't care who our two backs are. Although a McGahee Jacobs duo has a chance to be dynamic, it is not something to have 35 carries a game with. And that goes for virtually any combination of backs, with the exception of two that are on a team with no passing game.

Pull the trigger Jerry!

I don't get what Reese is saying there. Run it 35 times a game? That's insane, I don't care who our two backs are. Although a McGahee Jacobs duo has a chance to be dynamic, it is not something to have 35 carries a game with. And that goes for virtually any combination of backs, with the exception of two that are on a team with no passing game.

Pull the trigger Jerry!

The steelers averaged 35 rushes a game during their superbowl season....

I do not know what to think of McGahee, especially for a 1 season stint and then to see him go elsewhere. If they could get him for a late round draft pick and some scrub off the practice squad.

Especially considering this is supposed to be a deep RB draft we should be able to pick up a shifty back to carry the ball 5-8 times a game.

How fast can you say DO it? McGahee for a 3rd round pick or later is better than anything we can get in that spot at the RB position. IT would allow us to also pick by need in the first few rounds and get a RB that we know can produce. Talk about a bruising explosive backfield. McGahee AND Jacobs? My god by the 4th quarter teams will be tired from tackling that duo(sounds like a team that won the SB in 1990 with a guy named OJ and a rookie named Hampton).

McGahee is a VERY explosive back, a proven back and if it would not cost too much I say do it.

I'd be happy with any of those three - Willis, Jones, or especially Turner - with exceptions:

1. We don't give up a first day pick for any of them (except possibly a third rounder for Turner).

2. They don't come with too much baggage (what exactly is McGahee's deal? I thought he had the rep of being a troublemaker).

3. They SPLIT time with Jacobs. He's going to the Pro Bowl next year (unless Gilbride is retarded... hmm... maybe in 2008). ;)

I wouldn't give up the house for any of them; as was said earlier, this draft is heavy in RBs.

if mcgahee is a decent receiver out of the backfield, i would do it. we'll need to fill that void.

I hear what you're saying, but I wouldn't be surprised either if Jacobs excells in that role. He's been pretty good catching passes outta the backfield... and he almost took a screen to the house this year (forget what game tho).

link

A few notes:

I would love to have McGahee for anything not a first rounder. I'll give up a 2nd rounder max for him, as long as we are sure we can get the contract extension done. Anyone that is a Giants fan and doesn't want him is stupid. McGahee does come with baggage, but not one that will throw hissy fits on the field or be a complete team distraction, especially if he gets paid. He is much more explosive then Tiki, is a very powerful runner, and is immensely talented.

Pull the trigger Jerry!

Go look at out wins/losses when we ran the ball 35 times this past season. I think we were undefeated when we ran the ball over 30 times, which was around 4 or 5 games.

1. He wants to play out his option and go somewhere where it's warm or he can get big media exposure.

2. He refuses to work out in Buffalo in the off season and fosters a me first attitude rather than team first.

3. He ran his mouth about how the league should move the Bills to Toronto if they want to go to Toronto.

4. He really doesn't want to stick his head into the pile and get the tough yards, which is fine except that he isn't the speed back he was in college because of the half-step he's lost due to the knee injury suffered in the orange Bowl.

On second thought, I'll pass.

Go look at out wins/losses when we ran the ball 35 times this past season. I think we were undefeated when we ran the ball over 30 times, which was around 4 or 5 games.

that's kind of a chicken or the egg stat though. you can get a huge lead with a few turnovers and a big play and then sit on that lead by running but is the 35 runs the reason for the win in that case?

Which games did we run over 30 times? Maybe the first meeting against Cowboys, but that's it.

:doh:

McGahee is a trouble maker and will not except a backup roll. For a 2 back system to work, one has to except the back-up rolle. McGahee is looking to get paid, and will cause trouble if he doesn't.

This deal doesn't make sense at all...

A) We need a change a pace RB...McGahee is not that. in fact, he's slower than Brandon and is not much of a slasher. He will not except the back-up rolle...trust me on this.

B ) McGahee will cost us more than any 3rd or 4th round draft pick ever will. Again...THERE ARE QUALITY RB IN THE 3-6 ROUNDS IN THIS YEAR DRAFT. This draft is loaded with RBs. Especially 3rd down backs.

C) McGahee doesn't care about anyone but himself...He's always been a 'me' kinda of player and he's had some major injury issues. Isn't that the kind of players we are trying to get rid of here?

D) The Bills are going to ask for more than a 4th round draft pick...

And last) We still have Bradon Jacobs....

It just simply amazes me sometimes. Giants fans just can't get over the fact that Tiki is gone and have to start thinking about developing our own players. I for one, is looking forward to developing our own draft picks and not someone else cast off. We ahve other major problems right now...RB is not one of them.

McGahee is a trouble maker and will not except a backup roll. For a 2 back system to work, one has to except the back-up rolle. McGahee is looking to get paid, and will cause trouble if he doesn't.

A) We need a change a pace RB...McGahee is not that. in fact, he's slower than Brandon and is not much of a slasher. He will not except the back-up rolle...trust me on this.

B ) McGahee will cost us more than any 3rd or 4th round draft pick ever will. Again...THERE ARE QUALITY RB IN THE 3-6 ROUNDS IN THIS YEAR DRAFT. This draft is loaded with RBs. Especially 3rd down backs.

C) McGahee doesn't care about anyone but himself...He's always been a 'me' kinda of player and he's had some major injury issues. Isn't that the kind of players we are trying to get rid of here?

It just simply amazes me sometimes. Giants fans just can't get over the fact that Tiki is gone and have to start thinking about developing our own players. I for one, is looking forward to developing our own draft picks and not someone else cast off. We ahve other major problems right now...RB is not one of them.

B-I-N-G-O! I couldn't agree more, the guy is trouble. Plus he's got a jacked leg that will eventually go out again. I say we take a RB late. If we're going to a two back system, the RB next to BJ doesn't have to be Walter Payton.

I don't like this at all. McGahee is good, but there are other options available to split/back up Jacobs. Ahman Green/Dominic Rhodes. Hell if you are going to trade for someone, make it worthwhile and trade for Michael Turner. If you want to pry a running back here for a draft pick, you could probably get Portis from DC now that it seems they are leaning more towards Betts. McGahee does not have a great attitude either, and didn't this team say they wanted less headaches.

We have more pressing needs, I wish we'd concentrate on them. If they want to overspend on Clements, fine, he's proven, but getting a running back for the sake of it???

Apparently the Bills called the Giants first . and Reese is just looking at McGahee, didn't say he wants McGahee. Sounds like he is not leaving any stone unturned for a 1-2 RB running combo .I like the fact that he said he would not trade a first day pick for no one.

LINK

Giants eyeing McGahee

By RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Willis McGahee has attracted interest from the Giants.

INDIANAPOLIS - Brandon Jacobs still may be the heir apparent to Tiki Barber's throne, but Willis McGahee could end up fighting him for the crown.

New Giants GM Jerry Reese said yesterday that he is looking into trading for the 25-year-old McGahee, who is being shopped around by Buffalo. The Bills called the Giants recently to gauge their interest, but Reese said they have not yet set an asking price.

"There is some talk about Willis out there," Reese said at the NFL scouting combine. "We'll investigate Willis. We'll investigate everybody out there with the trade talks. We're not going to leave any stone unturned as far as that goes."

Reese also said he is looking into "rumors" that the Bears are shopping running back Thomas Jones, and he's monitoring the situation with Michael Turner in San Diego. Turner, LaDainian Tomlinson's backup, is a restricted free agent who is likely to be given a high tender so any team that tries to sign him will have to give up at least a first-round pick.

That would seem to eliminate Turner from the Giants' plans, since Reese said he will not trade any of his first-day picks (rounds 1-3). However, he did say he would be willing to offer second-day picks and/or "a package of players" to get a running back via trade.

It's possible that could be enough to land the 6-foot, 228-pound McGahee, because he's entering the last year of his contract and has already asked the Bills for a long-term deal. That's something they're not likely to give him due to his injury history and the fact that in five NFL seasons he's never topped 1,247 yards.

Why would the Giants take a chance on him? Because, Reese said, "In this day and age you always want to have two running backs. Every team has two good running backs." He added that the Giants expect the 6-4, 264-pound Jacobs to get about 20 carries per game next season, and are looking for a "change-of-pace back" to pick up another 15.

"If we wanted to go that route, I think they can make a good combo," Reese said.

OFFERS UP: The Giants will make qualifying offers to S Gibril Wilson and LB Reggie Torbor, who are restricted free agents. Reese said RB Derrick Ward will "probably" get one, too.

Originally published on February 25, 2007

The hell with that, if he is upset about being the #1 in Buffalo why is he going to come here and accept a lesser role?

I do like Reese's thoughts on what to give up in a trade scenario, no first day picks (pray to god he does his homework on players to draft unlike Ernie :chair: ) only late round picks or players that really aren't vital to our success.

The hell with that, if he is upset about being the #1 in Buffalo why is he going to come here and accept a lesser role?

I do like Reese's thoughts on what to give up in a trade scenario, no first day picks (pray to god he does his homework on players to draft unlike Ernie :chair: ) only late round picks or players that really aren't vital to our success.

It's all about the money. If we give him a solid, guaranteed contract and he gets 15-18 carries a game, he'll be content. And weren't him and Shockey teammates at the U? Maybe Shockey can keep him quiet :ph34r:

Thats all I needed to hear. Forget that chump.