SportsWrath

Bring back Fassel to consult on the offense?

fringe

Fassel's not doing anything currently. The guy is an excellent offensive play caller and QB coach. He knows the Giants system, he created most of it. If Huff and Cough can suck up their pride and get help, I think he's the guy that can right the ship. For him, if he's successful, it gives him cred for a job next year. It's a win-win.

Now I know someone on this board will say "my inside sources say Fassel did something to embarass the organization blah blah blah...." So what if he got a blow job from an admin. or if he embarrassed their puritan ethics by giving up his kid for adoption. Nothing to do with football.

Save the coach, save the season.....

Fassel's not doing anything currently. The guy is an excellent offensive play caller and QB coach. He knows the Giants system, he created most of it. If Huff and Cough can suck up their pride and get help, I think he's the guy that can right the ship. For him, if he's successful, it gives him cred for a job next year. It's a win-win.

Now I know someone on this board will say "my inside sources say Fassel did something to embarass the organization blah blah blah...." So what if he got a blow job from an admin. or if he embarrassed their puritan ethics by giving up his kid for adoption. Nothing to do with football.

Save the coach, save the season.....

Good idea but I doubt it will happen. Fassel was a mere scapegoat for Brian Billick. I wouldn't mind having Fassel back at all. I'm just not sure with all the egos if it can happen.

I'd rather he come in during the offseason as our new OC. He at least has an appreciation for Shockey. If we brought him in as an Offensive consultant we could lose him in the offseason. Course we could just bring him in now and give him the job as OC in everything but title....or can Huffie right away. Yeah, can Huffie and bring in Fassel.

I'd rather he come in during the offseason as our new OC. He at least has an appreciation for Shockey. If we brought him in as an Offensive consultant we could lose him in the offseason. Course we could just bring him in now and give him the job as OC in everything but title....or can Huffie right away. Yeah, can Huffie and bring in Fassel.

Exactly.

i don't think it'll look too good if our OC is a better coach than our head coach

only when it comes to offense. he neglected defense and special teams. fassel would be a great OC with a team that gives him freedom.

fassel will never be part of the Giants org again.

not buying that one.

i don't think it'll look too good if our OC is a better coach than our head coach

Please. Coughlin's horrible. Fassel was equally horrible, at least. All of this bullshit happened on his watch, as well. In many ways, I give Coughlin a pass because he had to come in and clean up a bad situation, and some guys just weren't ready for Club Fassel to end.

only when it comes to offense. he neglected defense and special teams. fassel would be a great OC with a team that gives him freedom.

superbowl trips for fassel: 1

superbowl trips for coughlin: 0

no way coughlin takes us to the superbowl back in 2000. he can't score a point in the first round with more talent in a weaker conference

Please. Coughlin's horrible. Fassel was equally horrible, at least. All of this bullshit happened on his watch, as well. In many ways, I give Coughlin a pass because he had to come in and clean up a bad situation, and some guys just weren't ready for Club Fassel to end.

what bad situation? there was plenty of talent when he got here. what did fassel have to work with when he got here? look at what the guy had to work with with kickers/punters/long snappers, etc. the amount of money and talent that these two guys have gotten from the start of their respective stints here is like night and day.

and again, how many superbowls has coughlin been to

superbowl trips for fassel: 1

superbowl trips for coughlin: 0

no way coughlin takes us to the superbowl back in 2000. he can't score a point in the first round with more talent in a weaker conference

Barry Switzer and Bobby Ross went to the Super Bowl too. :P

Look, I think Fassel may be the most influential HC in Giants history. He was the first coach to give us offense! I think he could be another Coryell if he would just specialize on being an offensive guru. His management of the other 2 facets were weak.

Look, I think Fassel may be the most influential HC in Giants history. He was the first coach to give us offense! I think he could be another Coryell if he would just specialize on being an offensive guru. His management of the other 2 facets were weak.

I agree with you on this. He had seasons where we were good and seasons were we were bad. He had many faults as a coach but did bring this offense to prosperity. I believe he would have handled Eli pretty well, better than Coughlin. I still don't understand why Baltimore got rid of him. Call me crazy but I would be supportive of him coming back as a consultant or a the Offensive coach. I don't see Coughlin being fired. He will be getting a new staff though.

and those guys are better than coughlin too.

I agree with you on this. He had seasons where we were good and seasons were we were bad. He had many faults as a coach but did bring this offense to prosperity. I believe he would have handled Eli pretty well, better than Coughlin. I still don't understand why Baltimore got rid of him. Call me crazy but I would be supportive of him coming back as a consultant or a the Offensive coach. I don't see Coughlin being fired. He will be getting a new staff though.

coughlin picked this staff and was criticized at the time for his choices. the criticisms were obviously spot on. a coach's staff is a reflection of the coach himself. it's one thing to fire one of his coordinators and let the coach stay, but both? no way. and on top of all this coughlin has REFUSED to take ANY blame for the giants performance. he keeps passing the buck and pointing at the players. that is NOT the kind of guy i want running my team. people can say what they want about fassel but when you consider what each guy had to work with anyone who says coughlin has done a better job is fucking NUTS

what bad situation? there was plenty of talent when he got here. what did fassel have to work with when he got here? look at what the guy had to work with with kickers/punters/long snappers, etc. the amount of money and talent that these two guys have gotten from the start of their respective stints here is like night and day.

and again, how many superbowls has coughlin been to

Nevermind. Jim Fassel was a great coach. The fact that he'll never work as a head coach in the NFL again is irrelevent. :TU:

Nevermind. Jim Fassel was a great coach. The fact that he'll never work as a head coach in the NFL again is irrelevent. :TU:

coughlin was handed a playoff caliber roster. in case you forgot fassel was fired because his team SEVERELY underperformed. they were picked to go to the playoffs that year. what mess did coughlin clean up? are you talking about the massive amounts of penalties or injuries? are you talking about a roster that is relatively the same plus large amounts of free agency money spent and a number 1 overall draft who's supposed to be a franchise quarterback? i guess that's the same as inheriting dave brown and danny kannell......

i know you hate the guy, but let's get real, this team was supposed to go to the superbowl

lots of injuries

lots of penalties

playing down to their opponents level

choking away big leads (at least the 97 vikings, 2002 niners, and 2002 titans were playoff caliber teams)

players quitting on and having no respect for the head coach

these are all things we remember about the jim fassel era. what has changed since coughlin has arrived? all he's done is made each of those things worse in a shorter amount of time. EA gave fassel kenny holmes, matt bryant, rodney williams, matt allen, trey junken, ron dayne, mike barrow, and ian allen. EA gave coughlin pierce, eli, burress, mckenzie, feely, snee, arrington, etc. the one year we didn't have injuries we coasted through an easy schedule ina weak conference and got exposed as a poorly coached team in the playoffs.

at least fassel gave us a superbowl (with inferior talent).

i've never said fassel is a great coach,and putting those words in my mouth will not steer the argument in a different direction. fassel > coughlin