SportsWrath

To prove I really don't know what I'm doing, draftwise

Here are the top 5 Giants draft picks of the last ~20 years that I thought were definitely going to be great players

1: Evan Neal, 2022: Granted, the jury is still out. I'll give him another year, but still he's been a disaster thus far, and we all thought he'd be at least an improvement.

2: Ereck Flowers, 2015: Thought we had finally found a solid LT...turns out he should have been moved to Guard, which he was later in his career where he had modest success.

3: Clint Sintim, 2009: He was a beast LB in college, and I thought maybe we had the next great pass rushing LB.

4: Azeez Ojulari, 2021: I really thought we had a steal when this guy fell to the 2nd round pick 50 after some mocks had him in the top 20.... and after his rookie year with 8 sacks we thought we did have a steal. But he's been injury prone and mediocre ever since that rookie year, and gets bounced around in the run game. 

5: William Joseph, 2003: Another guy who I thought was a steal at #25, after being projected much higher, plus after he was a beast at Miami and was a big DT. He struggled to crack the starting lineup and was a backup/lineman at best. When we eventually replaced him with Barry Cofield and Fred Robbins, that really solidified the interior line.

Honorable mentions: Ramses Barden, Gerris Wilkinson, Sinorice Moss, Travis Beckum, Jerrel Jernigan, Damontre Moore, RJ McIntosh

9 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Here are the top 5 Giants draft picks of the last ~20 years that I thought were definitely going to be great players

1: Evan Neal, 2022: Granted, the jury is still out. I'll give him another year, but still he's been a disaster thus far, and we all thought he'd be at least an improvement.

2: Ereck Flowers, 2015: Thought we had finally found a solid LT...turns out he should have been moved to Guard, which he was later in his career where he had modest success.

3: Clint Sintim, 2009: He was a beast LB in college, and I thought maybe we had the next great pass rushing LB.

4: Azeez Ojulari, 2021: I really thought we had a steal when this guy fell to the 2nd round pick 50 after some mocks had him in the top 20.... and after his rookie year with 8 sacks we thought we did have a steal. But he's been injury prone and mediocre ever since that rookie year, and gets bounced around in the run game. 

5: William Joseph, 2003: Another guy who I thought was a steal at #25, after being projected much higher, plus after he was a beast at Miami and was a big DT. He struggled to crack the starting lineup and was a backup/lineman at best. When we eventually replaced him with Barry Cofield and Fred Robbins, that really solidified the interior line.

Honorable mentions: Ramses Barden, Gerris Wilkinson, Sinorice Moss, Travis Beckum, Jerrel Jernigan, Damontre Moore, RJ McIntosh

I thought Clint Sintim was going to be the next great giants linebacker. 

i also thought Josh Rosen was going to be great. 

however I was totally right about Josh Allen, I was sure he would be special.

1 hour ago, Herc said:

Neal was the most annoying one.  A LT that high in the draft is supposed to be automatic day one starter.  Hope it works out 

Recency bias though...but yeah.  Alabama + starter + position of need.  I think if he would just fix balance issues and ensure he knows his assignment, he can certainly get it done.  But those are two big ifs at this point.

For me it was Will Hernandez and Deandre Baker. I also thought Dex Lawrence was a one-dimensional run stuffer. Tree will tell you that I also bought the hype on every mediocre day two WR pick for about a ten-year span. 

I still think Neal will be a good guard, and could still be a good RT.

Funny though... all the pundits are out on Neal after two years but are sure Brian Burns is still going to develop into a top-5 edge player even though he hasn't been close to that in five years. I think by year 3 you more or less are what you are. Not trying to pick scabs or start an argument, it's just interesting to note the consensus opinion.

2 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Big 10 RB's never work out for us. Granted Barkley put up nice stats, but was the wrong pick at the wrong time for us.

I remember watching one of his games where the line opened up a hole you could drive a truck through and Dayne had like a 50 yard run where a LB caught him from behind. I said to my dad, "sure hope we don't draft that guy."

Quite naturally, we drafted that guy.

44 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Big 10 RB's never work out for us. Granted Barkley put up nice stats, but was the wrong pick at the wrong time for us.

At a time when we needed a RB...he had set how many NCAA records...cant hate the pick...just thought he was gonna...well...not suck so hard

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

For me it was Will Hernandez and Deandre Baker. I also thought Dex Lawrence was a one-dimensional run stuffer. Tree will tell you that I also bought the hype on every mediocre day two WR pick for about a ten-year span. 

Funny though... all the pundits are out on Neal after two years but are sure Brian Burns is still going to develop into a top-5 edge player even though he hasn't been close to that in five years. I think by year 3 you more or less are what you are. Not trying to pick scabs or start an argument, it's just interesting to note the consensus opinion.

I hesitated to put Will Hernandez in that camp because his post Giants career has been decent, and unlike Flowers and Neal wasn't a top 10 pick.

But yeah, I totally thought at the time we had our next Chris Snee!

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

I remember watching one of his games where the line opened up a hole you could drive a truck through and Dayne had like a 50 yard run where a LB caught him from behind. I said to my dad, "sure hope we don't draft that guy."

Quite naturally, we drafted that guy.

Plus then Shaun Alexander went on to put up over 9,000 rushing yards lol

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

You weren’t alone on hailing Ramses Barden the next Plax. 

1 hour ago, Virginia Giant said:

You weren’t alone on hailing Ramses Barden the next Plax. 

I could not take Barden seriously after seeing his college highlight of catching passes over 5ft 4 white guys trailing behind him by 20 yards lol

Mitch Petirus? I can't recall his last name, set the record for most reps by an Olineman.

Thought "How could you fuck up drafting a really strong guard?"

Well we did.

In terms of high round picks I thought Aaron Ross was going to a better DB then he was, but he never really lived up to it, was alright but nothing you would want a first round players to be.

Kenny Phillips was another guy I thought would be the next Sean Taylor of the NFL, but once again played better then say Ross but never really did much.

Steve Smith was a WR who I thought was going to be the next "#2 WR" guy talked about in the NFL and I was pounding the table for the Giants to draft him, but injuries got the best of him.

Also thought that TE Travis Beckam? Was going to be a weapon gadget player, turns out he just sucked and Gilly had the imagination of a rock to use him.

Also not a Giant but I thought Reggie Bush was going to be Barry Sanders 2.0.

The guy had 3000 all purpose yards in one year in college and 20 TDs. 

Then he got to the NFL.

Had a resurgence in Miami but never lived up to that hype coming out of college. 

50 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Also not a Giant but I thought Reggie Bush was going to be Barry Sanders 2.0.

The guy had 3000 all purpose yards in one year in college and 20 TDs. 

Then he got to the NFL.

Had a resurgence in Miami but never lived up to that hype coming out of college. 

he’d do much better nowadays.  

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Mitch Petirus? I can't recall his last name, set the record for most reps by an Olineman.

Thought "How could you fuck up drafting a really strong guard?"

Well we did.

In terms of high round picks I thought Aaron Ross was going to a better DB then he was, but he never really lived up to it, was alright but nothing you would want a first round players to be.

Kenny Phillips was another guy I thought would be the next Sean Taylor of the NFL, but once again played better then say Ross but never really did much.

Steve Smith was a WR who I thought was going to be the next "#2 WR" guy talked about in the NFL and I was pounding the table for the Giants to draft him, but injuries got the best of him.

Also thought that TE Travis Beckam? Was going to be a weapon gadget player, turns out he just sucked and Gilly had the imagination of a rock to use him.

All those guys. Especially Phillips. I think Steve smith is entirely a product of the injuries. He was more than living up to and exceeding expectations I think. 

1 hour ago, Virginia Giant said:

All those guys. Especially Phillips. I think Steve smith is entirely a product of the injuries. He was more than living up to and exceeding expectations I think. 

No doubt.  He was not the deep threat, but he could get open like nobody else we had in a long time.  Had like 5000 catches for first downs it seemed.  We needed 7, he found that hole at 8 or 9 yards.  We needed 3, he found 4.

After having reconstructive knee surgery, he was never the same.

Who was that safety that got in the car accident before ever playing a down and essentially had to learn to walk again?  Jones maybe?  Chad Jones was it?

I remember being stoked to see him play.

6 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

Who was that safety that got in the car accident before ever playing a down and essentially had to learn to walk again?  Jones maybe?  Chad Jones was it?

I remember being stoked to see him play.

Yep Chad Jones.