SportsWrath

2021 draft class.

BlueInCanada

29 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Ojulari ruled out again.

Thibs well on his way to looking like a bust, unless he can pull it together ASAP.

EDGE/DE seems like it'll be back on the list of offseason needs in 2024.

It's difficult to tell what's going on with Thibodeau.  Last year he didn't have the numbers, but he passed the eye test. 

This year on his pass rush reps it looks like he's not even trying... like his plan is, "get tied up with the tackle and hold your ground." His pass rush win% on the season is 2.3%. 

Like... are the coaches asking him to hold tight and watch for the QB scramble or does he just suck? 

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

It's difficult to tell what's going on with Thibodeau.  Last year he didn't have the numbers, but he passed the eye test. 

This year on his pass rush reps it looks like he's not even trying... like his plan is, "get tied up with the tackle and hold your ground." His pass rush win% on the season is 2.3%. 

Like... are the coaches asking him to hold tight and watch for the QB scramble or does he just suck? 

Well...his pass rush ain't for shit so far and he sets the edge like a bitch...so there's that.

He can get to the football 5 yards downfield really well though.

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

He has athleticism and length, but doesn't know what to do with it.

Pass rush is mediocre. Run defense is abysmal. Possible Dion Jordan 2.0.

31 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

Well...his pass rush ain't for shit so far and he sets the edge like a bitch...so there's that.

He can get to the football 5 yards downfield really well though.

22 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Another thing is that I notice he's been asking to cover the flat A LOT this year.  Again, not making excuses... 2.3% win rate is abysmal... but I'm sure that's contributing. 

3 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

He is too undersized to overpower linemen and he needs that second move really....really... badly. 

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

I wish Wink would stop dropping him into coverage so often.  

Yeah I don't understand the "drop your #5 overall pick beast pass rusher into coverage and blitz Micah McFadden" philosophy. Starting to feel like Wink may be outsmarting himself.

8 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Not to beat a dead horse here...but let's see that first move first.

For sure... I think his first move is toe try to muscle guys who can easily muscle him.  Someone tell him real quick that this is not college where you play Bust My Ass University and its siblings for half of your games.

8 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I wish Wink would stop dropping him into coverage so often.  

6 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Yeah I don't understand the "drop your #5 overall pick beast pass rusher into coverage and blitz Micah McFadden" philosophy. Starting to feel like Wink may be outsmarting himself.

Agree... there was a Giants Defensive Coordinator who loved to drop linemen into coverage.  Get better LB's... your linemen need to rush the passer and stop the run.

On 9/21/2023 at 5:10 PM, Sephiroth said:

Unfortunately, Thibs has been better in coverage than as a pass rusher. So maybe the coverage duties make sense.

I can’t recall seeing a more tentative performance in the NFL than Thibs so far this season, especially when coming downhill. It’s like he either doesn’t know what to do or doesn’t want to do it. 

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

Unfortunately, Thibs has been better in coverage than as a pass rusher. So maybe the coverage duties make sense.

I can’t recall seeing a more tentative performance in the NFL than Thibs so far this season, especially when coming downhill. It’s like he either doesn’t know what to do or doesn’t want to do it. 

Ive been reading about it and for some reason his assignment has mostly been just setting the edge.  

I’m no pro coach but setting the edge and dropping into coverage isn’t how I’d be using him. 

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Ive been reading about it and for some reason his assignment has mostly been just setting the edge.  

I’m no pro coach but setting the edge and dropping into coverage isn’t how I’d be using him. 

And even if he's job is "setting the edge" atleast make the tackle.

The one play where the TE blocked him off the line then the RB ran straight into his arms just be break free and keep going.

Don't know what it's going to take to get Thibs motivated but he just looks so half assed out there at times. 

Edit *found the video lol 

He is real light to be on the line... that RB would have been a FB in the old days... he looks like he outweighs Thibs.  Not good.  So make him a stand up LB, similar to the old LT.  Can't hurt at this point IMHO.  Maybe that is why they keep dropping him... he does not have the beef to be a hands on the ground defensive lineman.

On 9/21/2023 at 1:22 PM, mastershake said:

He's not strong enough.    Didn't put on any weight and doesn't seem like he tried to get better in the offseason.    Offensive linemen figured they can just clamp on to him and he won't be able to escape.... 

3 hours ago, mastershake said:

The Giants to me are currently like the Dolphins of the 2010's under Ryan Tannehill. It's a team and QB good enough to win 8 or 9 games, with a QB who's good enough to start but not good enough to rack up big time wins and numbers.

This is what we are at least until we get an OL and pass rush.

Pretty much. 

Overachieved with the schedule and roster talent we had last year, to slip into a WC spot and beat a very flawed Vikings team. 

This year teams have had all offseason to game plan for the Giants and their tendencies/coaching. 

Not to mention we face a schedule full of playoff contenders if not SB contention. 

Jones is very much akin to a Tannehill or Hassleback. 

The roster is still very void of talent or just talent not playing to the potential of that talent.  

You don't correct 10+ years of organizational failure from MacAttack to Shurmur to Judge now to Daboll in a single year.

Rosters need to be reset, you need to find the coaches and players.

It's just unfortunate that our 2022 class isn't netting the return we NEED to help facilitate that reset.

Quite the opposite actually. 

50 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Pretty much. 

Overachieved with the schedule and roster talent we had last year, to slip into a WC spot and beat a very flawed Vikings team. 

This year teams have had all offseason to game plan for the Giants and their tendencies/coaching. 

Not to mention we face a schedule full of playoff contenders if not SB contention. 

Jones is very much akin to a Tannehill or Hassleback. 

The roster is still very void of talent or just talent not playing to the potential of that talent.  

You don't correct 10+ years of organizational failure from MacAttack to Shurmur to Judge now to Daboll in a single year.

Rosters need to be reset, you need to find the coaches and players.

It's just unfortunate that our 2022 class isn't netting the return we NEED to help facilitate that reset.

Quite the opposite actually. 

For sure. I think this off-season will be a real test of the front office. Most of the stench of Gentleman's dead money, over investments in Leopard Williams ($32M) and Adoree Jackson ($18M) will be gone, Barkley will probably be gone, and they'll really have much more ability to craft a roster they want.

21 hours ago, mastershake said:

The Giants to me are currently like the Dolphins of the 2010's under Ryan Tannehill. It's a team and QB good enough to win 8 or 9 games, with a QB who's good enough to start but not good enough to rack up big time wins and numbers.

This is what we are at least until we get an OL and pass rush.

These are the Fassell Giants of the late 90's.