SportsWrath

OTAs

BlueInCanada

40 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Hopkins I understand (outside of not getting atleast one pick for him) he wants to go chase a ring and the Cardinals have forfeited this year since Murray's knee is made of wet tissue paper.

But Cook? Dude is still a dyanmic RB #1.

We should sign Cook lol

We have a great RB on our roster who will a sign a deal soon… at least that’s my hope.

1 hour ago, BronxRik said:

Barkley hasn't signed the tender and could sit out the season.

https://www.nfl.com/news/frustrated-giants-rb-saquon-barkley-doesn-t-rule-out-sitting-out-for-2023-season

Oddly enough, Dalvin Cook is available. Hmmm. :confused:

Barkley is our guy.   He's upset about leaks and mistruths about the negotiations.   He stated early on he wasn't looking to reset the market.    I don't think Schoen is to blame for the leaks but the sooner we can get him signed the better it's for everyone.... and he's more than just a RB.  

3 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Barkley hasn't signed the tender and could sit out the season.

https://www.nfl.com/news/frustrated-giants-rb-saquon-barkley-doesn-t-rule-out-sitting-out-for-2023-season

Oddly enough, Dalvin Cook is available. Hmmm. :confused:

We all know the "sit out" is just a white lie.

Look at Bell for a perfect example of what happens to RBs who sit out a year. 

At this point it's looking more likely Barkley plays on the tag and leaves elsewhere. 

Or if this team starts 0-5 maybe they try to trade him?

I want Barkley on this team, and want him to retire a Giant but the RB market sure is messed up at the moment. 

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

I love Barkley, but I am a fan of the Giants. 

Sign, don't sign.  But if I'm the Giants, I'm not waiting around.  I'd bring Cook in for sure and potentially trade Barkley if/when he does sign

If for nothing else, bring him in to jumpstart Barkley into signing the tender/deal. Nobody likes to see anyone else snooping around their backyard. 

18 minutes ago, BronxRik said:

If for nothing else, bring him in to jumpstart Barkley into signing the tender/deal. Nobody likes to see anyone else snooping around their backyard. 

Giants have made it pretty clear where they stand...whatever the number might be.  And for 2023, they're not all that interested in moving off that number.

The crash in the market supplemented by drafting a RB...albeit not at Barkley's level...have given the Giants all the leverage.  

If I had to make a prediction, Barkley plays on the tag this year, Giants don't sign him him next offseason.  Don't think Schoen is fixated on RB by committee, but don't think he is stuck on the idea of a bell-cow RB either. 

Anything more than 11 per...might as well just tag him next year too.  I am guessing it's the guaranteed number or total years that's the holdup.

I'd be okay if they wrote it up as 90% of franchise tag each year of the deal...but likely can't be that ambiguous

18 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Rumors from Ian Fapparappaport is the Giants and Barley are finalizing a new contract worth up to 14 million a year. 

No details but expected to be heavy bonus laden. 

what I’ve seen is they’ve just put the previous offer back on the table, not that anything has been accepted or is being finalized. 

5 minutes ago, The P said:

what I’ve seen is they’ve just put the previous offer back on the table, not that anything has been accepted or is being finalized. 

Yeah didn't see the tweet directly but that's what happens on the internet, you get got. 

You're right original deal is back on the table up to 14 million a year, and both sides are just talking. 

52 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Rumors from Ian Fapparappaport is the Giants and Barley are finalizing a new contract worth up to 14 million a year. 

No details but expected to be heavy bonus laden. 

I think it's a great move if it pans out.   It gives Barkley what he's looking for... not the money but a "save face" kindda out.    Barkley is a great player and a great person and $3M more (than the proposed 11) isn't that big of a deal given he's in his prime and is a great blocker... He said he's more than just a RB and I believe him and in him.   

$14 million for Barkley??? Sorry, love the guy, hate those numbers. Especially since:

Making matters worse, the running back market as a whole is incredibly deflated. Dallas cut Ezekiel Elliott to rid itself of his bloated contract and franchise tagged Tony Pollard, preventing the latter from cashing in. Las Vegas did the same with Josh Jacobs, tagging him for the 2023 season. Count the Giants' Saquon Barkley in this group, too.

The top free-agent contracts handed to running backs this offseason didn't even crack $7 million per year. Miles Sanders signed a four-year, $25.4 million deal to join the Panthers, while David Montgomery inked a three-year, $18 million contract with the Lions. The rest were worth $4 million per year or less.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chargers-austin-ekeler-on-rb-market-franchise-tags-it-s-tough-for-me-to-accept#:~:text=Making matters worse,group%2C too.

He's good, he's a fan favorite, but he's not worth $14 million in comparison to the market. Besides, we could get Dalvin Cook for less than that, and he'll play with a chip on his shoulder. 

3 hours ago, BronxRik said:

$14 million for Barkley??? Sorry, love the guy, hate those numbers. Especially since:

Making matters worse, the running back market as a whole is incredibly deflated. Dallas cut Ezekiel Elliott to rid itself of his bloated contract and franchise tagged Tony Pollard, preventing the latter from cashing in. Las Vegas did the same with Josh Jacobs, tagging him for the 2023 season. Count the Giants' Saquon Barkley in this group, too.

The top free-agent contracts handed to running backs this offseason didn't even crack $7 million per year. Miles Sanders signed a four-year, $25.4 million deal to join the Panthers, while David Montgomery inked a three-year, $18 million contract with the Lions. The rest were worth $4 million per year or less.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chargers-austin-ekeler-on-rb-market-franchise-tags-it-s-tough-for-me-to-accept#:~:text=Making matters worse,group%2C too.

He's good, he's a fan favorite, but he's not worth $14 million in comparison to the market. Besides, we could get Dalvin Cook for less than that, and he'll play with a chip on his shoulder. 

53 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

Yeah I feel bad and I want him to stay. But we can’t be the only ones paying double the going rate for a rb. 

I love the guy and hate the numbers too... but I love the guy more than I hate the numbers.    He brings a lot to the table, and it would say a whole lot about the organization to sign him.    So what if we overpay a little? we've paid a lot for far worse players.    I'm a homer like that.    

14 million in an incentive heavy contract isn't bad. 

Like 10 base, but he finishes a season healthy it's another million, top 5 in yards from scrimmage, etc. 

Like he's better than Cook and a top 5/3 RB when he's healthy. 

You don't get rid of guys like that. 

But also have an out or something each year. 

Questions we and Schoen need to ask ourselves when evaluating Saquon are... how effective would DJ be with Breida, Gray and Brightwell as his only backs vs with Saquon? How much does Saquon help DJ thrive? How many games do we lose last year without Saquon? I know the narrative is don't pay the RB, but the cap is going up significantly over the next 2 years and considering how GMs can manipulate numbers to be favorable and fit under the cap no matter what the AAV is... PAY THE MAN. 

10 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

Is he better than cook?  Honestly?  

I don't know the answer to that but I'm guessing our OL was shittier.    

7 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Questions we and Schoen need to ask ourselves when evaluating Saquon are... how effective would DJ be with Breida, Gray and Brightwell as his only backs vs with Saquon? How much does Saquon help DJ thrive? How many games do we lose last year without Saquon? I know the narrative is don't pay the RB, but the cap is going up significantly over the next 2 years and considering how GMs can manipulate numbers to be favorable and fit under the cap no matter what the AAV is... PAY THE MAN. 

This is EXACTLY what they need to consider.    

14 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

14 million in an incentive heavy contract isn't bad. 

Like 10 base, but he finishes a season healthy it's another million, top 5 in yards from scrimmage, etc. 

Like he's better than Cook and a top 5/3 RB when he's healthy. 

You don't get rid of guys like that. 

But also have an out or something each year. 

Sounds about right. 

15 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

Is he better than cook?  Honestly?  

Yeah healthy Barkley is a better RB and it's not even a race. 

Even in his inured years he's come within 100 yards of Cooks best season. 

Cooks was being paid what Barkley should be making.