SportsWrath

Preseason Game Two

GorillaNJ

I'm not going to crown his ass yet, its the kiss of death whenever I'm overly positive (or at all positive), but it was good to see Jones play on time last night. 

The best development though was the offensive line performance. When was the last time we saw such  nice pocket from start to finish? And to do it despite guys playing from right off the street, even picking up stunts in unison. LOL, fucking Will Hernandez didn't get it after four years, and last night we had total scrubs and development projects out there getting it done. 

Not sure why Neal is getting shit for not setting the world on fire. He's showing his potential every time a run play is called. Pass pro needs work, but... rookie. Come on. What people expect? 

All round, pretty solid job last night. I expected to win that game, between the mismatch in starters getting playing time, and the amount of competition deep into the roster, it wasn't quite a fair fight. Good to see that they won, and also that the game wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. 

26 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

I think Jones was definitely more accurate than the others last night, but that could be function of starting offensive line, receivers, etc.

I am all about letting best player start and based on last night, to me that is Jones.  That said, he has a long, long way to earning another contract, especially given we have a bridge QB in Tyrod and the projected draft class in 2023.

Webb, I only suggest keeping due to Jones injury history

Did any Giants offensive starters other than most of the OL and Jones play? Saw a lot of Collin Johnson, Bachman, and Sills out there with the first unit. Supposedly Golladay was out there, but I never noticed him. 

This is fun:

Anybody with a read on what the defensive call was there? Great play by Fox, but I'm not sure if we're looking at an incredibly instinctive play, or dumb luck due to being way out of position. 

That said --- that wasn't the only time I noticed Tomon Fox making things difficult on the offense. 

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

Did any Giants offensive starters other than most of the OL and Jones play? Saw a lot of Collin Johnson, Bachman, and Sills out there with the first unit. Supposedly Golladay was out there, but I never noticed him. 

Golloday and Robinson played...as did Bellinger at TE.  Barkley sat, as did Toney, Shepherd, and a bunch of other guys.

Regarding KG...read that he was on for 21 snaps with 0 targets.

11 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

See I feel like all the QBs have looked the same.

Jones really didn't do anything beyond game managing, same with Tyrod and Webb.

Honestly we could probably start any of them this year and we would have the same record as the others. 

Sure it's Jones "prove it year" but the Giants shouldn't have any commitment to starring him if they feel another QB on the roster will be better in any way.

The Danny Kanell and Kent Graham show redux... :laugh: Game managers R Us. :laugh:

On 8/22/2022 at 8:44 AM, CrazedDogs said:

I'm not going to crown his ass yet, its the kiss of death whenever I'm overly positive (or at all positive), but it was good to see Jones play on time last night. 

The best development though was the offensive line performance. When was the last time we saw such  nice pocket from start to finish? And to do it despite guys playing from right off the street, even picking up stunts in unison. LOL, fucking Will Hernandez didn't get it after four years, and last night we had total scrubs and development projects out there getting it done. 

Not sure why Neal is getting shit for not setting the world on fire. He's showing his potential every time a run play is called. Pass pro needs work, but... rookie. Come on. What people expect? 

All round, pretty solid job last night. I expected to win that game, between the mismatch in starters getting playing time, and the amount of competition deep into the roster, it wasn't quite a fair fight. Good to see that they won, and also that the game wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. 

Neal was a lot better than the first preseason game. Man, the first thing jump out for me is the OLine performance. Now I get it, it’s preseason and players don’t usually go all out. But it was just simply nice to see DJ with a pocket around him. When was the last time we saw something like that, on a consistent basis? 10 years ago?

On 8/22/2022 at 8:54 AM, CrazedDogs said:

This is fun:

Anybody with a read on what the defensive call was there? Great play by Fox, but I'm not sure if we're looking at an incredibly instinctive play, or dumb luck due to being way out of position. 

That said --- that wasn't the only time I noticed Tomon Fox making things difficult on the offense. 

How can you not love football after watching this? I’m so happy for them. 

12 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

Neal was a lot better than the first preseason game. Man, the first thing jump out for me is the OLine performance. Now I get it, it’s preseason and players don’t usually go all out. But it was just simply nice to see DJ with a pocket around him. When was the last time we saw something like that, on a consistent basis? 10 years ago?

Its been thirteen years by my count. The OL was last 'good' in 2009.

On 8/22/2022 at 11:35 AM, gmenroc said:

Golloday and Robinson played...as did Bellinger at TE.  Barkley sat, as did Toney, Shepherd, and a bunch of other guys.

Regarding KG...read that he was on for 21 snaps with 0 targets.

Yeah I wasn't kidding when I said I think we should eat his salary this year just to get out from under it for next year. Golladay looks flat-out bad... at least Colin Johnson looks like he's trying. 

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Yeah I wasn't kidding when I said I think we should eat his salary this year just to get out from under it for next year. Golladay looks flat-out bad... at least Colin Johnson looks like he's trying. 

Golladay has mid-season cut written all over him. He'll make a good example to set for the team. 

Yeah, I'll give KG the first 4 games to show what he has in the new offense without any preseason restrictions.  Should he be hurt, or not play well...I will be all for jettisoning him in any way we can.  Not sure we'll find a trade partner...

12 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

If we hadn't spent 75 million on the guy and his name was "Randall Smith" does he even make the team based on his play so far? 

That's a resounding no of course... the FO needs to be frugal with these FA signings... seriously most turn out really bad. 

25 minutes ago, 기둥서방 said:

Sounds weird, but I don’t think we have enough cap room to cut him.  

Yeah I think we take on an extra 10 mil if we cut him. That's why I'm hoping we have someone pick up, say, 13 mil of his salary so we get 3 mil of relief or so and we can use that money to sign someone at another position of need. 

15 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Yeah I think we take on an extra 10 mil if we cut him. That's why I'm hoping we have someone pick up, say, 13 mil of his salary so we get 3 mil of relief or so and we can use that money to sign someone at another position of need. 

That’s a hopeful thought, but the idea that he’s so bad we want to get rid of him mid season and will also be able to trade him to a team who also agrees to take on 13mil of his salary, is unlikely. 

44 minutes ago, 기둥서방 said:

That’s a hopeful thought, but the idea that he’s so bad we want to get rid of him mid season and will also be able to trade him to a team who also agrees to take on 13mil of his salary, is unlikely. 

I agree it's probably a pipe dream. I'd trade him right now though, not mid-season. He'll be on IR by then. 

8 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

5 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Golladay has mid-season cut written all over him. He'll make a good example to set for the team. 

This... sometime you have to know when to fold your cards and walk away.  I believe this is one of those times.

4 hours ago, 기둥서방 said:

Sounds weird, but I don’t think we have enough cap room to cut him.  

True. Would have to do a little restructuring to make it work.

Well give him a few real games of course. Vets don't always give a serious effort in preseason games.

15 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

True. Would have to do a little restructuring to make it work.

Well give him a few real games of course. Vets don't always give a serious effort in preseason games.

For a guy who had 0 TDs last year on a 72 million contract in a new offense, he of all people should be giving serious effort regardless.

The fact he got 0 targets in the game on 21 snaps is more telling than anything.  Shows me he is not in rhythm with DJ, not getting open, and just a role player, just a guy on the field...not anything close to a number 1 WR that he was when we signed him.

We could always request him to restructure or take a pay cut too.  

If everyone is waiting for him to be open all the time they signed the wrong guy.  

He was always covered in Detroit but he would always come down with the ball.   

that’s why we signed him and how he should be used.