SportsWrath

Who is your "not seeing it" player in this year's draft?

Sephiroth

Who is the guy being talked about in the draft this year that makes you say, "what? THAT guy?"  For me I have a few... 

LT Charles Cross - sorry guys... he may end up as the best of the tackle bunch in three years... but he's not big enough, not strong enough, gets pushed around too much, and has no positional value outside of LT. If he doesn't put on more weight he's a bust, unlike the other two guys. He's behind Trevor Penning for me. 

LB Devon Lloyd - he's not a bad player per se, but he looks like a high second round guy to me. Good straight ahead speed but I'm not seeing the lateral movement. Looks like a B, B+ kinda player but I've seen him going as high as #5 overall. 

DE Travon Walker - I get that he's athletic but he didn't do anything in college. 

G Dylan Parham - not big, not strong, gets manhandled, wasn't good in college and had a bad Senior Bowl. Seriously, what am I missing with this guy; I've seen him mocked in the second. 

For me, it's Kenny Pickett. While he has a nice arm, mobility, and has made some nice plays, here's what I've observed:

- He's slow out of the gates in nearly every game

- If his initial/play read isn't there, he's slow to process and move through his progressions (though apparently this is common in young QBs). 

- Even for the planned play, many of his throws seem late. He seems to be the type who wants to see the receiver open before throwing, rather than playing with the anticipation needed (too much hesitation and indecision at times).

- A lot of the nice plays I did see him make came when the OL gave him a lot of time (an unusually long amount of time) to work through his reads.

I just don't see top 10 material. Granted, I'm not willing to write him off. He seems like a smart QB, with good traits, intangibles, etc. He could be good in a system that constantly puts him on the move and/or in a position to break the pocket and improvise, but I think he needs a lot of support and coaching before being a good NFL starter.

12 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Also, I know he had a less than stellar year versus what was expected of him, but to me Sam Howell seems more NFL ready and plays with more of the anticipatory skill that Pickett currently lacks.

I've seen the same thing with Pickett. His arm is adequate but just ok and he doesn't anticipate well. 

3 hours ago, mastershake said:

Also, I know he had a less than stellar year versus what was expected of him, but to me Sam Howell seems more NFL ready and plays with more of the anticipatory skill that Pickett currently lacks.

I would be very happy taking a flyer on Howell if he should fall. I think he's better player than he showed last year.

2 hours ago, Herc said:

Does Neal’s omission from your list mean you’re coming around on him?

Yeah I sort of am. I've watched a little more film; he definitely still has warts and I think he's overrated, but I could see him developing into a good right tackle. I wouldn't hate it if he were the pick, but I think I'd have to watch a little more before I felt legitimately good about it. 

On 4/24/2022 at 6:45 PM, Sephiroth said:

LT Charles Cross - sorry guys... he may end up as the best of the tackle bunch in three years... but he's not big enough, not strong enough, gets pushed around too much, and has no positional value outside of LT. If he doesn't put on more weight he's a bust, unlike the other two guys. He's behind Trevor Penning for me. 

Saw some highlights. He’s decent and could be a good LT in a few years so I agree with you there.  I don’t think it’s his size that’s the problem. He need better technique instead of raw strength, which he won’t be able to relay on in the pros.  Joe Thomas was about the same height and weight as Cross and JT is a HOF guy.   We don’t need a LT so I be piss if we waste a draft pick on Cross.  

Another thing I don't get is Derek Stingley Jr. at CB being rated so high when he's played so few games the last two years. He was brilliant his Freshman year, but played only 10 games the last two years. He has a chance to be good, but some have him going as high as #7-8. I don't see it. Late 1st round maybe at best, but too much risk for a top 10. There's other CB's in this draft who are better, aside from Sauce.

On 4/26/2022 at 2:09 AM, Iceman_NYG said:

Are the Giants gonna be trading down?

If someone doesn't try to fleece them I think yes.  They don't have the money for two top-10 picks this year. 

Gettleman fucking sucks.

On 4/26/2022 at 2:09 AM, Iceman_NYG said:

Are the Giants gonna be trading down?

I kind of hope so.

If the price is right, of course. I think the sweet spot of this draft is more in the 20 - 80 range, a lot of equally rated guys around there who will be good value.

• 4 months later...
On 4/24/2022 at 6:45 PM, Sephiroth said:

Who is the guy being talked about in the draft this year that makes you say, "what? THAT guy?"  For me I have a few... 

LB Devon Lloyd - he's not a bad player per se, but he looks like a high second round guy to me. Good straight ahead speed but I'm not seeing the lateral movement. Looks like a B, B+ kinda player but I've seen him going as high as #5 overall. 

DE Travon Walker - I get that he's athletic but he didn't do anything in college. 

G Dylan Parham - not big, not strong, gets manhandled, wasn't good in college and had a bad Senior Bowl. Seriously, what am I missing with this guy; I've seen him mocked in the second. 

Dylan Parham cut already!