SportsWrath

2022 cap space and how much can be restructured

jranieli

1 hour ago, jranieli said:

jJaPz68MaaIDdHjQDR1N5yHSarVzh8J5GKy-apvT

Yeah, there are definitely a number of moves that can be made to free up cap space.

- We need to consider cutting Bradberry and Martinez to free up money to invest in the OL and cheaper alternatives. These two moves alone will save ~$21M.

- Also cut or restructure Shepherd. He can't stay healthy and doesn't warrant a $12.5M cap hit. Saves $5M.

- Cut TE Kyle Rudolph to save $5M

- Trade Saquon to save ~$7M.

Challenge is, if we want to bring in two proven/reliable OL players, we're probably not investing in much else in free agency, other than potential role or stop gap players (e.g. LB Jaylon Smith), so we'd be filling in those positions above through the draft.

57 minutes ago, jranieli said:

jJaPz68MaaIDdHjQDR1N5yHSarVzh8J5GKy-apvT

Wow, great graphic. Doesn't shake out exactly like I expected either. 

Looking at that chart, I'm not sure why Mayock was fired. They made the playoffs and have arguably the best cap situation in the league for 2022.

The Packers and Saints are looking at a total rebuild. But the Saints can get back on track quicker than I thought before.

I note this is restructurable space -- I wonder if that includes cuts, or if it's restructures only. And also, taking into account the exact players a given team may cut or extend changes how we interpret this chart a lot.

Giants could cut every one except Leo Williams and rookie contract guys. Cap space will be set and the team will be no worse.

3 hours ago, mastershake said:

Yeah, there are definitely a number of moves that can be made to free up cap space.

- We need to consider cutting Bradberry and Martinez to free up money to invest in the OL and cheaper alternatives. These two moves alone will save ~$21M.

- Also cut or restructure Shepherd. He can't stay healthy and doesn't warrant a $12.5M cap hit. Saves $5M.

- Cut TE Kyle Rudolph to save $5M

- Trade Saquon to save ~$7M.

Challenge is, if we want to bring in two proven/reliable OL players, we're probably not investing in much else in free agency, other than potential role or stop gap players (e.g. LB Jaylon Smith), so we'd be filling in those positions above through the draft.

What's the status of Solder's contract?    I think he needs to go.  

It's going to be cheap labor and draft picks this year. I don't expect this team to do a major overhaul like you think. I doubt guys are going to get cut just to release a ton of money to do what?. That's what got us into this mess. Drafts didn't pan out and we tried to patch up with high priced free agents. Draft smarter, pay the kids we draft.

3 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

I think it’s a major overhaul, it will be over the course of a couple off seasons though.  

I see it this way too.

Next year is a wash as we jettison players and bring in rookies to the core of the team. It's also the year they make the decision on Jones.  

The year after that we may have a rookie QB and a whole new roster. 

I'm willing to give Daboll and Schoen a four year window to see what happens regardless of record, since the Giants finally did the right thing hiring a GM and HC combo. 

33 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I see it this way too.

Next year is a wash as we jettison players and bring in rookies to the core of the team. It's also the year they make the decision on Jones.  

The year after that we may have a rookie QB and a whole new roster. 

I'm willing to give Daboll and Schoen a four year window to see what happens regardless of record, since the Giants finally did the right thing hiring a GM and HC combo. 

Regardless of record, but not regardless of performance. 

52 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

Regardless of record, but not regardless of performance. 

I think next year is a shit show.

We are probably dumping a lot for talent on the roster to save cap, plus the draft class playing like rookies. I want Oline in the draft hopefully one of the firsts (Lindenbaum) and a second on a guy like Green or Kirkland, but people have to keep in mind they aren't gonna magically fix the Oline they are going to have growing pains most likely like Thomas. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4-13 year. 

The year after though when they can bring in free agents and have had a year under Daboll and Schoen is when I hope to see a step in the right direction.  

As long as the media doesn't run them out of town by then. 

It shouldn't be the shit show you may think. Look at the schedule right now for next year and tell me as bad as we are, look at some of the teams coming in and tell me how many world beaters we play next year. We have a last place schedule with some awful teams and apart from Dallas, the East is still weak . I honestly think this team will be closer to 500, say 7-10/8-9.  Next year is set up to get this car rolling downhill again. We got to look for organization improvement across the board and to have this team get their respect back gradually. Schoen said in his presser that we can compete and still build and I think he's dead right here. If we do that, it's a win.

2 hours ago, boohyah said:

It shouldn't be the shit show you may think. Look at the schedule right now for next year and tell me as bad as we are, look at some of the teams coming in and tell me how many world beaters we play next year. We have a last place schedule with some awful teams and apart from Dallas, the East is still weak . I honestly think this team will be closer to 500, say 7-10/8-9.  Next year is set up to get this car rolling downhill again. We got to look for organization improvement across the board and to have this team get their respect back gradually. Schoen said in his presser that we can compete and still build and I think he's dead right here. If we do that, it's a win.

I believe it and have seen it before.  It happened in 1979 onward,,,

9 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

I believe it and have seen it before.  It happened in 1979 onward,,,

There's no reason in the current NFL it can't happen. As long as the direction is there, the performances will follow. Fact is we have been dealing with a GM who had become too interested in proving how smart he was and a coach who ends up over his head.  Like I said it's too early to judge but you have to like the fact that these guys were part of a group that just brought back a franchise that hadn't won for ages. And they have better resources here.

20 minutes ago, boohyah said:

There's no reason in the current NFL it can't happen. As long as the direction is there, the performances will follow. Fact is we have been dealing with a GM who had become too interested in proving how smart he was and a coach who ends up over his head.  Like I said it's too early to judge but you have to like the fact that these guys were part of a group that just brought back a franchise that hadn't won for ages. And they have better resources here.

I agree Boo... we just have to be patient.

3 hours ago, boohyah said:

I agree with this… not because of the schedule however.  This team had terrible coaching and a ton of talent…. We saw a lot of guys just wing it out there.  I think next year this team turns the page.

20 minutes ago, Nas said:

I agree with this… not because of the schedule however.  This team had terrible coaching and a ton of talent…. We saw a lot of guys just wing it out there.  I think next year this team turns the page.

The schedule is going to have a large part in this. The Giants have 9 games at home and it's definitely the softest it's been in years with the Lions,Bears, Panthers, Texans, Eagles, Skins coming in. And they have the Jags,Seahawks, Vikings on the road. We don't play anyone playing Sunday.