SportsWrath

Week 2 thoughts

BlueInCanada

I just don't understand how teams keep making the same mistakes with QBs.  They draft these guys at the top of the draft and throw them to the wolves right away.  I think a lot of promising careers have been ruined because GMs and coaches can't let their guy sit and learn a year.  I know a lot of it has to do with shortening the learning curve because coaching careers are short for losing teams, but how many of these guys survive their first year and go on to be upper echelon players?  I feel like if you have drafted your QB of the future, the first year you should carry 3 qbs.  One to play the game, the rookie, and a career backup vet that is constantly in the rookies ear explaining what is happening on the field.

I guess a lot of guys do succeed after starting their first year, Kyler Murray played great today.

Just now, Virginia Giant said:

I just don't understand how teams keep making the same mistakes with QBs.  They draft these guys at the top of the draft and throw them to the wolves right away.  I think a lot of promising careers have been ruined because GMs and coaches can't let their guy sit and learn a year.  I know a lot of it has to do with shortening the learning curve because coaching careers are short for losing teams, but how many of these guys survive their first year and go on to be upper echelon players?  I feel like if you have drafted your QB of the future, the first year you should carry 3 qbs.  One to play the game, the rookie, and a career backup vet that is constantly in the rookies ear explaining what is happening on the field.

I guess a lot of guys do succeed after starting their first year, Kyler Murray played great today.

There's no more time to develop in the NFL anymore. 

You have to win and win right away to keep your job.

You see it all the time in the NFL Game and HCs fired after one or two years. 

When you draft a rookie QB it's no longer let them sit behind the vet and get some experience.

It's not draft a rookie QB and they better play and win now or else your out the door. 

Just now, BlueInCanada said:

There's no more time to develop in the NFL anymore. 

You have to win and win right away to keep your job.

You see it all the time in the NFL Game and HCs fired after one or two years. 

When you draft a rookie QB it's no longer let them sit behind the vet and get some experience.

It's not draft a rookie QB and they better play and win now or else your out the door. 

Which is what locks the Jets in perpetual hell.  If I am an owner, and I hire the coach I think is The Guy, and we draft a QB who we think is The Guy, I give the dude a 5 year contract with the promise he will get the full 5 years no matter what.  Might be a rough couple years, might lose some ticket sales, but shit who is going to Jets games?  Jags games? 

9 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

This is how I would do it as well.  If the Giants fail this year, I think the new GM should keep Judge for another 1-2 years, draft their QB of the future, but get somebody like a Jimmy G to be the starter for a year or two... Garrapollo resuscitates his career, the new rookie has a chance to sit and learn for a while. 

When you look at many of the all-time greats of this generation... Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady... they all followed this plan. 

On 9/19/2021 at 11:22 PM, Virginia Giant said:

This was the old school way.  These coaches have two years to win now so they don't really give a shit anymore...

On 9/19/2021 at 7:32 PM, BlueInCanada said:

Watching the Ravens Oline and seeing Freeman basically rip off runs, makes me want to slap Getty. 

I wonder if there was someone in this year's draft the Giants should have taken. I'm sure GD made the right pick.

On 9/19/2021 at 11:22 PM, Virginia Giant said:

Much of the mentality is GM/Front Office driven, where they believe they need to win in the first four years after the QB has been drafted (where their cap hits are much lower), before they need to give the QB a lucrative contract and hamper the cap in year 5 and beyond. Not saying I agree with their logic but that's what I hear a lot of analysts talk about.

Having said that, some qbs take time (a yr or two, e.g. Montana, Esaison, Rivers, Rodgers, Simms took a real long time), but many of the greats were thrown right into the mix to start year 1 of their careers. Aikman, Marino, Elway, Peyton Manning, Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Jim Kelly, etc..

7 hours ago, mastershake said:

Much of the mentality is GM/Front Office driven, where they believe they need to win in the first four years after the QB has been drafted (where their cap hits are much lower), before they need to give the QB a lucrative contract and hamper the cap in year 5 and beyond. Not saying I agree with their logic but that's what I hear a lot of analysts talk about.

Having said that, some qbs take time (a yr or two, e.g. Montana, Esaison, Rivers, Rodgers, Simms took a real long time), but many of the greats were thrown right into the mix to start year 1 of their careers. Aikman, Marino, Elway, Peyton Manning, Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Jim Kelly, etc..

I agree with your analysis.  The head coach has to adjust to the style of his QB.  You know after year two if you have a potentially great QB or not IMHO.  Even if he is getting hammered.  Some could just escape like Eli or Randall Cunningham.

9 hours ago, mastershake said:

Yes. and also nice blocking by the RG too.....oh that's Zeitler? lol

Well we had to get rid of Zeitler because he can actually block. We can't have none of that here. What kind of message are we sending to the rest of the OLine.