SportsWrath

2021 Free Agency

Sephiroth

Well, it's never to early to start, I guess... even though we're playing meaningful football games in December for the first time in forever. 

The Giants, surprisingly, have a lot of free agents that I'd love to have them keep this offseason.  With the reduced salary cap next year, there's almost no way we're going to be able to keep everyone, so I wonder who you fucks think we should keep and who we'll have to let go.  

I've divided the players up into 3 categories;  you can keep one player from Group A, and one from Group B.  You can keep as many as you want from Group C. 

You also can sign one high-profile free agent from another team, or keep both of our "A" guys.

Group A

Leonard WIlliams

Dalvin Tomlinson

Group B

Kyler Fackrell

Logan Ryan

Davonta Freeman

Wayne Gallman

Group C

Cameron Phlegming

Colt McCoy

Dion Lewis

Austin Johnson

Alfred Morris

Any other schmuck on a one-year deal. 

For the record my money would be these guys: 

Group A - Leonard Williams.  I'd be super happy with Tomlinson over him, but Williams is a more disruptive player at the end of the day, who's showed up for more big plays.  If I had to keep one, it'd be Williams.  

Group B - While I'm tempted to keep Kyler Fat Girl, I think Logan Ryan is the guy I'd go with here.  I get the feeling he's really the guy holding that secondary together, and I think McKinney, Peppers, and Ryan might help mask the deficiencies of whoever our other corner is going to be opposite Bradbury. 

Group C - I think Phlegming could stick around on another one-year deal, strictly as a backup though, and only if he's reasonably priced.  Austin Johnson has been pretty good in spot duty; I'd throw him a one-year deal again as well. 

Free Agent - I'd really try to get Allen Robinson in here;  we need to see what Jones looks like throwing to an  NFL-caliber WR.  Bud Dupree would be my second choice. 

My order of guys who should get paid and who should be kept.

1) Logan Ryan should be priority #1, he's a leader and a very important piece in a weak secondary.

2) Tomlinson he will be cheaper, and is younger than Williams and has more upside IMO. The guy is one of the highest rated DTs in terms of run defence in the NFL, him and Lawrence will anchor the Dline for the best 5 or 6 years.

3) Gallman, with Barkley's future up in the air keep you keep the guy who is running well, should be able to get him for a few more years.

4) Williams, why is he so low down the list? Easy Lawrence, and the fact that Williams will eat up more cap than he's worth. I'd rather sign two or three guys to Williams one contact. But who knows maybe he gives us a break but I doubt it.

5) FA WR or FA Pass rusher. Go throw a massive contract at the best WR or pass rusher out there. 

6) Fackrell he's good depth and will probably have a multi year deal for cheap.

7) Niko! But he probably chases the money else where.

After that it's a crap shoot.

All this is moot though is DG is fired and a new GM is brought in.

The reduction of salary cap applies to everyone... which means other teams won't be throwing millions at just anyone.... Having said that, I like to keep both DLs together... they seem to have developed some great chemistry... Now go after Bud Dupree and the Giants become a consistent top 5 defense easily... 

Tomlinson is the priority hands down. 

Logan Ryan would be second. But I don't see it. He's have to stay at 6 million. 

Dion Lewis is a good option for us on offense and inexpensive. Good in the backfield and out of the backfield.

I think the Giants will go Defense early in the draft next year and either go DT or Corner, A guy who intrigues me is Keenan Allen. Get rid of Golden Tate and slot Allen in his place. He's a qb dream to play with and the type of guy help take us another level.

If possible, I'm trying to keep everyone in groups A and B, except Freeman. 

Williams will be paid more than Tomlinson, but I think Tomlinson is the priority. I love how he plays. Killer instinct on that one, and I think barring injury he keeps improving like Linval Joseph did. Williams is a luxury, and not a tone setter. I only want him when there are demons elsewhere on the D to light a fire under him. 

Ryan is my next priority after Tomlinson. 

Fackrell, then Gallman. And after that, it doesn't really matter.... some good players on that list, but not unreplaceable. Let them all walk if not at a team price.

13 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

We could use a good player regardless of how good he thinks he is. 

I don't think the team is in a position to overpay for a B, B- player.  We're a lot more than one player away from a title.

We did that in 2014 and it came back to bite us in the ass when we had to get rid of all of those contracts a few years later. 

2 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I don't think the team is in a position to overpay for a B, B- player.  We're a lot more than one player away from a title.

We did that in 2014 and it came back to bite us in the ass when we had to get rid of all of those contracts a few years later. 

I think we are a team lacking good players, I’d pay him.  

16 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

I think we are a team lacking good players, I’d pay him.  

He was offered to be paid as a top-4 DE last year and turned it down...  I just don't think he's the caliber of player that he thinks he is.   To put it in perspective, he was offered 19.5 million last season and has two more sacks worth of production than 4.5 million Kyler Fackrell.  He's not four times the player that Fackrell is; it's a bad investment. 

If he wants to play for something like 13-14 million/season I'm game, but he's not a top-5 DE. 

Plus there's the Giants' history of the Kenny Holmes, Olivier Vernon "sign the DE who's about to turn the corner!" and they come here and never turn the corner. I'd rather home-grow the talent or pay for guaranteed production.

2 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

He was offered to be paid as a top-4 DE last year and turned it down...  I just don't think he's the caliber of player that he thinks he is.   To put it in perspective, he was offered 19.5 million last season and has two more sacks worth of production than 4.5 million Kyler Fackrell.  He's not four times the player that Fackrell is; it's a bad investment. 

If he wants to play for something like 13-14 million/season I'm game, but he's not a top-5 DE. 

Plus there's the Giants' history of the Kenny Holmes, Olivier Vernon "sign the DE who's about to turn the corner!" and they come here and never turn the corner. I'd rather home-grow the talent or pay for guaranteed production.

Did he turn it down because he didn’t want to play there though?

i don’t think he will hit open free agency anyway. 

Release Zeitler, Solder, Tate, Pulley, Core...also do NOT tender Engram (saves us ~$6mm). This should give us an additional ~$30mm in cap space, for roughly $45-50mm in cap space.

I consider re-signing Logan Ryan to be a top priority. If we give him like a 3 year $30mm contract, his year 1 cap hit may only be $7-8mm, not too drastic of an increase from this year.

We're also going to need to re-sign one of Dalvin Tomlinson or Leonard Williams (probably Tomlinson). Once we do that, then:

FA / Draft Top Priorities:

- G

- CB

- WR

- EDGE/Pass Rush

- TE (to replace Engram)

Secondary Priorities

- RB depth

- DL depth

- OL depth

Solder is going to stick around next year whether we want him to or not.  He has a 16 million cap hit but still carries a 13 million hit if we cut or trade him.  In 2022 that goes down to 6 million  on a 20 million cap hit so that would likely be the season we let him go. 

We already picked up Engram's 5th year option so I think we're stuck with him too. 

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Solder is going to stick around next year whether we want him to or not.  He has a 16 million cap hit but still carries a 13 million hit if we cut or trade him.  In 2022 that goes down to 6 million  on a 20 million cap hit so that would likely be the season we let him go. 

We already picked up Engram's 5th year option so I think we're stuck with him too. 

In that case, if we're keeping Engram and Solder, the only thing I change is below. By cutting Zeitler, Tate, Pulley, and Core, that should create ~$20-21mm in cap space.

FA / Draft Top Priorities:

- G

- CB

- WR

- EDGE/Pass Rush

- TE (to replace Engram)

Secondary Priorities

- RB depth

- DL depth

- OL depth

Figure enough cap space for Ryan, Tomlinson or Williams, and one big free agent signing at one of the positions listed above.

I hate to say it but we may need to let Tomlinson walk so we can sign other higher priority positions. I can't see giving a massive contract of $14-20mm per year for a guy who only plays 50-60% of the snaps. Plus he's good but he's not like a pro bowler or game changer who can't be replaced. Is there really that much of a drop of if we go with BJ Hill instead, then bring in depth behind him and Lawrence? Unless we can somehow get him for less, like 4 years $48mm.

Similar with Williams. Is he worth $14-20mm per year?

Just now, mastershake said:

Figure enough cap space for Ryan, Tomlinson or Williams, and one big free agent signing at one of the positions listed above.

I hate to say it but we may need to let Tomlinson walk. I can't see giving a massive contract of $14-20mm per year for a guy who only plays 50-60% of the snaps. Plus he's good but he's not like a pro bowler or game changer who can't be replaced. Is there really that much of a drop of if we go with BJ Hill instead, then bring in depth behind him and Lawrence? Unless we can somehow get him for less, like 4 years $48mm.

That's one of the reasons I think Tomlinson walks instead of Williams.  Williams can also play the run well, but can give you more pass rush, and there's the whole "sunk cost" thing with him as well. 

I really wish we could keep both; Tomlinson is a hell of a player.