SportsWrath

Reinforcements on the way to bolster giants defense

mastershake

I was super excited about the McKinney pick.

He's basically a jack of all trades on defense like Simmons was hyped up to be.

Can't wait to see how he's used by Graham.

Ximines was also our leading pass rusher in pressures and hits before he got hurt.

With how the Dline is playing it's good to get him back as well.

oh boy, if McKinney is who I think-hope he is, he's exactly what the back end of that defense needs. 

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

He's basically a jack of all trades on defense like Simmons was hyped up to be.

Can't wait to see how he's used by Graham.

yeah, I was a little bummed we didn't come away with Simmons, I thought he was a special player at positionS of need. (Of course, the OL was a huge need too, so no complaints there.)  Perfect fit for what I thought Graham's defense was going to be. 

Everyone keeps talking up McKinney...I must be missing something when I watched Alabama games last year because I always thought he was kinda meh...showed up once in awhile, but he also disappeared for long stretches of the game and was sort of the play who racked up tackles AFTER the guy already caught the ball 5-10 yards down the field.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Everyone keeps talking up McKinney...I must be missing something when I watched Alabama games last year because I always thought he was kinda meh...showed up once in awhile, but he also disappeared for long stretches of the game and was sort of the play who racked up tackles AFTER the guy already caught the ball 5-10 yards down the field.

4180e99f9cf19ed9f7f80a2e29b4f4b8.gif

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

I didn't watch him play at all, just highlights and scouting reports. And now I'm hoping for the best.

He sounds like a tremendously smart, versatile player though.

14 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

I didn't watch him play at all, just highlights and scouting reports. And now I'm hoping for the best.

He sounds like a tremendously smart, versatile player though.

From what I watched, I saw a guy who played well as a box safety or a nickel backer cover guy who could match up with TEs and RBs. I didn't see a guy who'd be proficient as a two deep or one deep safety who needed to go sideline to sideline or come up the field quick. He could be a versatile chess piece on the defense, but he'll likely need to be supplemented with two other safeties, though this seems common in today's NFL. 

Better against the run than in coverage. Better attacking than when asked to sit back. 

38 minutes ago, mastershake said:

From what I watched, I saw a guy who played well as a box safety or a nickel backer cover guy who could match up with TEs and RBs. I didn't see a guy who'd be proficient as a two deep or one deep safety who needed to go sideline to sideline or come up the field quick. He could be a versatile chess piece on the defense, but he'll likely need to be supplemented with two other safeties, though this seems common in today's NFL. 

Better against the run than in coverage. Better attacking than when asked to sit back. 

Today's NFL doesn't even employ two safeties anymore.

It's all cover three and cover four with a mixtures of 6 and 9.

Your corners need to be better at playing safety now a days with how far they bail out at the lone of scrimmage every snap.

People seen what the Seahawks ran the cover three match concepts and realized that playing two deep safety with three LBs is suicide in today's NFL.

That's why you've seen the rise of the MLB cover guys like Wagner and box safety/$LB hybrids like Peppers and soon to be McKinney.

The free safety has to worry about covering the field, the other safety has to worry about the run and shallow flats but be able to keep up with the TE down the seam, which is something McKinney excelled at in college from reports.

7 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

oh boy, if McKinney is who I think-hope he is, he's exactly what the back end of that defense needs. 

yeah, I was a little bummed we didn't come away with Simmons, I thought he was a special player at positionS of need. (Of course, the OL was a huge need too, so no complaints there.)  Perfect fit for what I thought Graham's defense was going to be. 

Agreed 100%

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Your corners need to be better at playing safety now a days with how far they bail out at the lone of scrimmage every snap.

People seen what the Seahawks ran the cover three match concepts and realized that playing two deep safety with three LBs is suicide in today's NFL.

That's why you've seen the rise of the MLB cover guys like Wagner and box safety/$LB hybrids like Peppers and soon to be McKinney.

The free safety has to worry about covering the field, the other safety has to worry about the run and shallow flats but be able to keep up with the TE down the seam, which is something McKinney excelled at in college from reports.

Agreed, that's what has me so fired up about McKinney. Having someone similarly versatile to Peppers is just what this D needs.

And Ximenes too, I know he's not going to be a 10 sack guy, but he's got a little more to offer than the guys off the street we have playing the edge now. 

Crazy to think this team could make the playoffs.

This can only be good. I know he didn't put up good numbers but I think the Carter injury was bigger than people realize... he really had a chance to shine with Williams and Lawrence attracting the double teams. Hopefully Ximines can give the pass rush a shot in the arm... if he got another 4 sacks this year I'd be happy. 

Ah nice - the Xs are back to bolster the other side of the O! Cant wait.

This Cincy Game is a fucking trap game like no other - back-up QB, pissed off team and the Giants playing after the bye after some BS OL Coach controversy. Its a fucking recipe for disaster. Hope the Giants can come out of this one with the O making a statement.

Now that Dalton is back, Im still worried if we can take the Dallas re-match either. Oh well - theres still hope the Giants can win the division. Will be nice to have a division title in Judge's first year as coach and Danny Dimes's second year - albeit in whatever shitty way its achieved.....ah here I go dreaming and shit. Back to reality - lets not shit the bed this Cincy game.

13 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Definitely. I'm just pointing out he  seemed better in the box than playing deep. And since nickel/dime is employed something like 50%+ of the time, he definitely has a role.

Cincy game will be a 2 score win for the Giants IMO .......i dont believe in trap games  ( not in the 'well coached' Judge era anyway )

Bengals are a bad team who are even worse without Burrow now.

If this season comes down to a week 17 win or bust game v Dallas ....id take that right now to be honest.

X men returning has to be a great thing for our D

Go Blue ....lets go and win the East 

2 hours ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

Cincy game will be a 2 score win for the Giants IMO .......i dont believe in trap games  ( not in the 'well coached' Judge era anyway )

Bengals are a bad team who are even worse without Burrow now.

If this season comes down to a week 17 win or bust game v Dallas ....id take that right now to be honest.

X men returning has to be a great thing for our D

Go Blue ....lets go and win the East 

We'll see. The giants sometimes have a knack for turning 3rd string QBs into Joe Montana.

Or at least, they can rack up yards against us, like Alex Smith did a few weeks ago, and we barely hung on in that game.

Got my tickets for the game, so I expect the Giants to totally shit the day away. 

I meant to write a letter to the team staff - keep the whole team away from the Cincinnati chili the day before the game. It's absolutely critical. If you don't regularly eat that shit, it eats you. I'm half convinced that is what happened when they played here in 2012, they played like they were clenching ass the whole game.

22 hours ago, mastershake said:

He is like those Steeler defenses of the 70's with Hank Stram and Jack Lambert  tackling people who were already down and racking up the tackles.  That sort of guy... kinda middling to me.

3 hours ago, mastershake said:

We'll see. The giants sometimes have a knack for turning 3rd string QBs into Joe Montana.

Or at least, they can rack up yards against us, like Alex Smith did a few weeks ago, and we barely hung on in that game.

The Second Coming of Joe Montana at that... but they had some terror games against Joe where they racked him up... just writing you know...;)

6 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

We are going to need a veteran interior lineman to play alongside Lemuiex and Gates (Hernandez is a bust). Zeitler's contract is way too big and he's not playing at a level that warrants a $14mm cap hit.

Besides that, we probably only have cap space for two other big free agents, so any two out of WR, Edge, or CB works for me. These are the right priorities after OL in my view.

We should make sure to re-sign Ryan if we can for under $8mm and Peppers (Peppers on his 5th year, $6mm option). Keep the veteran presence; it has made a difference. We'll also have to re-sign either Tomlinson or Williams if we can, otherwise DL will be a hole.

Assuming our draft is #8-14 ish, I like CB Jaycee Horn out of South Carolina, Joe Horn's son. 

EDGE rusher, very high in the draft. If they don't get one of those free agents.

This offseason may go very unexpectedly since the cap is expected to decline. Based off one of the articles today, only $18 million in cap space next year. Not what I expected for next year. Better than many, nowhere close to some others. So forget any of the high priced free agents, is my expectation. 

9 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

EDGE rusher, very high in the draft. If they don't get one of those free agents.

This offseason may go very unexpectedly since the cap is expected to decline. Based off one of the articles today, only $18 million in cap space next year. Not what I expected for next year. Better than many, nowhere close to some others. So forget any of the high priced free agents, is my expectation. 

Yes, but I expect we'll cut Zeitler, Tate, Solder, and a few others, which should get us $20-25mm in additional cap space.

20 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

You had me at Bud Dupree.    I saw him play against us... then looked at when he was drafted... quite a few draft picks after we drafted that deadbeat OL who turned out to be a bust... Dupree plays at a higher speed than everyone on the field... if he's the only FA we land, I'd be ecstatic.