SportsWrath

Never too early to start looking ahead to next year...

Sephiroth

What do you think our top priorities should be for next season?

I think by just about any metric, this year was a success. 11 wins is awesome, and we beat some pretty good competition (Cowboys, Lions, Skins) but lost to some others (Pittsburgh, Pack). We have an awesome young core on this team to build around finally (Snacks, Vernon, Collins, Apple, Jenkins... keeping DRC should be a priority, don't cut him... Perkins, OBJ, and Shepard). Those guys should keep us competitive for the next 2-3 years at a minimum as they're all locked up for a while.

Some general observations and the direction I'd like this team to go in:

1. I know I say this every year but please... pretty please... with fucking sugar on top, get us a MAULING, ROAD-GRADING GUARD. Not a finesse player. I want a Chris Snee type that will actually push a DT back three yards on every snap. These guys are cheap and undervalued, but this team has needed one since Snee started declining five years ago. While we're at it, lets get a RT, or a LT and let Flowers switch to the right side.

2. I'd also like to see an actual FB on the team, and at least one blocking TE. I think Adams is a nice player, but Will Tye and Larry Donnell should both be relegated to the third string.

3. We need one more back. There's no other way to dance around this... Jennings is terrible. Perkins and someone else would be pretty sweet.

4. If you couldn't tell... I think we need to switch to a power running offense for Eli's swan song. Happens to many of the great ones... Elway, Peyton, etc. We can't expect a 37 year old to chuck the ball 45 times a game for sixteen weeks in a row. I think you really saw at the end of the season that his arm didn't have the strength on the deep ball (that King TD was a actually short; it was a good thing he beat his man by so much).

5. I'd love to keep JPP, but honestly, he's still an enigma to me. I could go either way on him. I think we should make a good, reasonable offer to Pugh... he's not great at anything, but he's good at everything and we need versatile guys on the line. I wouldn't break the bank for him but I think he's part of the solution, not the problem. I'd like to keep Hankins if possible. The rest of the guys are JAGs except maybe Keenan Robinson, but again, he's not a guy I'd break the bank for. I think a case could be made for a John Jerry or a Marshall Newhouse as a backup but those guys shouldn't be starters.

The great news is, most of those positions are pretty cheap. I think you can cover G, RT, FB, and TE and not spend over 50 million. We have a lot to look forward to as Giants fans over the next few seasons. :TU:

Sign JPP or an equivalent DE. Sign Hankins to keep him next to Snacks. Essentially, maintain the defensive line.

Let Cruz go. Sign an outside WR to replace him. Keep Shepard in on 2 WR sets, but move Shepard to the slot on 3 WR sets.

Sign a dual-threat TE.

Sign a LT - break the bank if you have to, just make sure it's worth it. Move Flowers to the right side. Let Hart play RT. The offensive line needs upgraded.

RB..I like Perkins a lot. I'd like to see him get a full game in as the #1. Yeah, he started a few, but it was always a shared role. I'd just want to see his ability to handle a full game's workload and moreso, how effective he'd be at the end of a game. I don't have as much a problem with Jennings as many here seem to have...but I wouldn't mind seeing a late round pick be spent on another RB.

I agree with much of what Seph wrote, specifically about the power running game. But absolutely agree with Pdouble that JPP is a must re-sign. The Giants should have a lot of cap room again. And I hope JPP really wants to come back to the Giants. I think he will. I also think that it's a possibility that another team could drop a ton of money on him that the Giants may flinch at matching. We could survive losing JPP, but he is a special talent that doesn't come around often. I would think he would want to stay given how this defense is now loaded and there is a window here to establish some dominance.

We really missed JPP yesterday. He would've made a big difference.

As for FB... Will Johnson is under contract for 2017, and I think he comes back and solves that position for next year, anyway.

Need someone to play Brandon Jacobs to Paul Perkins' Ahmad Bradshaw.

Move Bobby Hart to Guard, no more tackle for him and we need another tackle. Jerry and Newhouse are great depth and average starters and putting them together made a very soft right side the offensive line. Could use another Tight End now that Donnell is a FA and we need an improvement.

I don't expect the Giants to keep JPP simply out of cost. Dropping another $80 million on the defensive line is not a sound business decision especially with the potential Okwara has.

Now there is more that can be said but it really comes down to McAdoo. Do the Giants bring back a power running game or work on the short passing game? Does Jerry Reese bring in more help for the offensive line or cut Victor Cruz? Going to be a quiet offseason until the draft and a couple of decisions need to be made about a couple of free agents on the defensive side of the ball.

I agree with much of what Seph wrote, specifically about the power running game. But absolutely agree with Pdouble that JPP is a must re-sign. The Giants should have a lot of cap room again. And I hope JPP really wants to come back to the Giants. I think he will. I also think that it's a possibility that another team could drop a ton of money on him that the Giants may flinch at matching. We could survive losing JPP, but he is a special talent that doesn't come around often. I would think he would want to stay given how this defense is now loaded and there is a window here to establish some dominance.

As for FB... Will Johnson is under contract for 2017, and I think he comes back and solves that position for next year, anyway.

D'Onta Foreman.

I think that's a good assessment. I hope we get Johnson back; I have no idea why we didn't sign another fullback.

As far as JPP goes, he really is a game changer, but I think he's only had one healthy season out of six. I'm not sure what kind of contract you offer for someone like that, or what he would think is fair.

Free Agency and/or Draft

• Cut Cruz, JT Thomas, Dwayne Harris. That should put us up to $48-50 million in cap space.
  • Hankins: 5 years $45mm
  • JPP: Not sure what the market will be, but to be safe let's say 5 years ~ $60mm. I think this is overpaying, but I can't see an alternative DE to bring in here or draft of his caliber.
  • Keenan Robinson: 4 years $22mm
  • Pugh: Extand the 5th year option @ ~$8.8mm
  • Two starting caliber OL
  • TE: Possibilities include Ryan Griffin, Jack Doyle, Dion Sims - they're all borderling starter/backups, so don't overpay
  • Depth at DB (particularly safety), WR, and LB

Draft Priorities

• Early rounds: OL, WR, TE, and RB
  • Late rounds: LB and DB

Pugh's 5th year option is already picked up.

Yeah I thought that was for this year but I guess it's for next. Good deal.

Another thing... we need to start thinking about drafting Eli's replacement. I wouldn't mind if we spent a high pick on a QB so that we can have a smooth transition once Eli decides to hang it up in the next few years. I don't want a situation where he retires and the team is like, "well, what do we do now?"

Another thing... we need to start thinking about drafting Eli's replacement. I wouldn't mind if we spent a high pick on a QB so that we can have a smooth transition once Eli decides to hang it up in the next few years. I don't want a situation where he retires and the team is like, "well, what do we do now?"

I'm afraid we may have to suck really bad one year to get into the top 5... otherwise the price of moving up will be unbearable...

Giants are very far away from thinking about drafting Eli's replacement. History would tell you they will start thinking about it the year after he retires and find the guy ten years later.

I agree with the premise of looking for a successor, but I don't see any early round (1-3) QB talent worthy of drafting. Maybe in the later rounds; Jerod Evans or Joshua Dobbs seem like guys with the potential to develop over time, learning behind Eli for a few years. Some scouts are also high on Nathan Peterman with a 4th round grade, but I haven't seen him much.

I agree with the premise of looking for a successor, but I don't see any early round (1-3) QB talent worthy of drafting. Maybe in the later rounds; Jerod Evans or Joshua Dobbs seem like guys with the potential to develop over time, learning behind Eli for a few years. Some scouts are also high on Nathan Peterman with a 4th round grade, but I haven't seen him much.

QB's don't work like that anymore in the NFL... where they come in and are groomed into quality starters. The year that Eli retires everyone will miss the fuck out of him as we find ourselves lucky to see 3 wins... and then hope to land a stud QB in the draft.

What this team really needs is some sort of veteran leadership to take the young and talented WR corps and give them a model to follow and how to act. I do not know who that player is, but someone who can teach the team it is not about fancy sneakers, celebrity, or highlight film bullshit.

A quality LT would do a world of good too.

QB's don't work like that anymore in the NFL... where they come in and are groomed into quality starters. The year that Eli retires everyone will miss the fuck out of him as we find ourselves lucky to see 3 wins... and then hope to land a stud QB in the draft.

What this team really needs is some sort of veteran leadership to take the young and talented WR corps and give them a model to follow and how to act. I do not know who that player is, but someone who can teach the team it is not about fancy sneakers, celebrity, or highlight film bullshit.

A quality LT would do a world of good too.

I think this arrangement of grooming a future QB is possible on the giants because they don't even have a worthy backup QB at this point (Nassib is gone, and sucked anyway)... so they can draft in the later rounds seeking a backup now and potential starter down the road. This year's draft just doesn't have any 1-3 rounders worth it.

Giants are very far away from thinking about drafting Eli's replacement. History would tell you they will start thinking about it the year after he retires and find the guy ten years later.

Yep, many ugly years of half-assed QB's to come, ugh.