SportsWrath

Atlanta expected to lose draft pick.

Allstarjim

So because the Falcons were pumping in crowd noise the last two seasons, the NFL is expected to hand down discipline no later than Tuesday, which according to ESPN, is going to involve the loss of a draft pick. If it's a first rounder, that moves us up to the 8th pick in the draft. Of course, it will help us and every other team, but the loss of a first will help the most. Be strict, NFL! No link, posting from phone, but will add the link later if someone else does not.

Story is on ESPN...only question now is the actual punishment handed down coupled with whatever appeals may occur. Given the timing, the pick may have to come from next draft...not to mention, with this year's draft order set, it'd almost give an unfair advantage to the other teams in that the 7 picking ahead of them would not move up a spot whereas the 24 picking behind them would all move up...and that would go for whatever round THIS year that they'd lose the pick.

Did the Patriots get penalized at all for... you know... cheating to get to the Super Bowl?

I really don't see anything they have done that any other team in this league doesnt already do.

I think it's a reason why you don't hear anything about it.

Did the Patriots get penalized at all for... you know... cheating to get to the Super Bowl?

That was my thought exactly. It's as if they brushed the deflate-gate under the rug until after the draft. It'd be great if Atlanta and New England lost their first rounder. That'd move us up to 8th and 38th. Regardless, I'm glad some team is finally getting punished for pumping in crowd noise. Seattle got away with that for years until complaints made them stop. They should have lost several draft picks for that crap.

Story is on ESPN...only question now is the actual punishment handed down coupled with whatever appeals may occur. Given the timing, the pick may have to come from next draft...not to mention, with this year's draft order set, it'd almost give an unfair advantage to the other teams in that the 7 picking ahead of them would not move up a spot whereas the 24 picking behind them would all move up...and that would go for whatever round THIS year that they'd lose the pick.

I can't see it being a first round pick.

Maybe a couple second round picks, maybe a combination of a second and third but the NFL isnt going to take first round picks away from a struggling franchise.

Yes I doubt it will be a 1st rounder, but because it affected competitive balance, I do expect it will be not be a lower round pick than a 3rd. My guess is the forfeiture of one 2nd rounder either this year or next. It really doesn't matter about other teams, as even teams with picks in the next round would move up one spot, i.e., if the falcons lost their #8 pick (1st round) this year, then it still helps Tampa and the other teams that pick before them, as their 2nd rounder would still move up one spot as well.

I don't think this is something that is seriously considered by the NFL when determining the punitive action of forfeiture of a team's pick, anyway. It harms the Falcons more than it helps any other one team.

I say we do it every year if the NFL PROMISES to take away the Giants 3rd round pick.

Jerry Reese pretty much makes sure we have no third-round pick anyway based on most of his selections.

I'd just like to know of all the HoF third round picks you can name of the top of your head.

I'd just like to know of all the HoF third round picks you can name of the top of your head.

I'm not asking for Hall of Famers, but if we could pick more Justin Tucks and less Jayron Hosleys and Jerrell Jernigans, I'd be pretty stoked.

A fifth rounder? That's it????? Why even bother. The success rate of players drafted after the fourth round making it in the NFL is like 0.7%...An NFL team might as well pump in all the extra crowd volume they want, and just part ways with a fifth rounder each year... that investment is more useful than the draft pick itself if it's only a fifth rounder.

as says every team about their 3rd round picks.

I remember reading an article about NFL GMs a few years back that basically said every GM expects that their 1st rounder will be a high-impact player/Pro Bowler type, the 2nd and 3rd round guys will be solid starters, 4th-5th round are role players and everyone else are basically "jackpot" type guys. This idea that GMs don't expect production out of third-rounders is hogwash.

I remember reading an article about NFL GMs a few years back that basically said every GM expects that their 1st rounder will be a high-impact player/Pro Bowler type, the 2nd and 3rd round guys will be solid starters, 4th-5th round are role players and everyone else are basically "jackpot" type guys. This idea that GMs don't expect production out of third-rounders is hogwash.

They expect it, but doesnt mean it's automatic.

I'd love to see the GM that has been able to get a solid 10 year starter out of every single one of their 2nd and 3rd round picks though.

and contrast that with a list of 3rd round picks.

not a high percentage of "solid starters".

They expect it, but doesnt mean it's automatic.

I'd love to see the GM that has been able to get a solid 10 year starter out of every single one of their 2nd and 3rd round picks though.

I don't think it should be every single one either, but I'd bet the Giants aren't even getting 10% starters out of their third round guys in the past 20 years or so.

and contrast that with a list of 3rd round picks.

not a high percentage of "solid starters".

True, but I'd bet its better than the Giants' percentages. Off the top of my head I can think of Tuck and Manningham and that's about it. George Young used to find quality in that round... why can't Reese?

3rd rounders dating back to 1999

DT Jay Bromley

DE Damontre Moore

DB Jayron Hosley

WR Jerrell Jernigan

DB Chad Jones

WR Ramses Barden

TE Travis Beckham

WR Mario Manningham

DT Jay Alford

LB Gerris Wilkinson

DE Justin Tuck

TE Visanthe Shiancoe

OT Jeff Hatch

DB Will Peterson

WR Ron Dixon

TE Dan Campbell

Patriots (only because they have one of the best records since 1999 and because it's generally accepted that they draft well) picks dating back to 1999

DB Logan Ryan

DB Duron Harmon

DE Jake Bequette

RB Stevan Ridley

QB Ryan Mallett

WR Taylor Price

WR Brandon Tate

LB Tyrone McKenzie

LB Shawn Crable

QB Kevin O'Connell

TE David Thomas

DB Ellis Hobbs

OT Nick Kaczur

DB Guss Scott

DB Brock Williams

RB JR Redmond

DB Tony George

DT Jay Bromley

DE Damontre Moore

DB Jayron Hosley

WR Jerrell Jernigan

DB Chad Jones

WR Ramses Barden

TE Travis Beckham

WR Mario Manningham

DT Jay Alford

LB Gerris Wilkinson

DE Justin Tuck

TE Visanthe Shiancoe

OT Jeff Hatch

DB Will Peterson

WR Ron Dixon

TE Dan Campbell

Fucking Jay Alford... boy that dude was on the rise...

Ravens are also considered one of the better drafting teams:

S Terrence Brooks

TE Crocket Gilmore

DT Brandon Williams

RB Bernard Pierce

OT Jah Reid

TE Ed Dickson

CB Ladarius Webb

LB Tavares Gooden

S Tom Zbikowski

OT Oniel Cousins

WR Yamon Figurs

OT Marshal Yonda

CB David Pittman

WR Devard Darling

RB Musa Smith

C Casey Rabach

QB Chris Redman

it's funny, the giants are also considered one of the better drafting teams, at least according to nfl.com in 2013: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000163276/article/ranking-the-5-nfl-teams-that-are-best-at-drafting

DT Jay Bromley

DE Damontre Moore

DB Jayron Hosley

WR Jerrell Jernigan

DB Chad Jones

WR Ramses Barden

TE Travis Beckham

WR Mario Manningham

DT Jay Alford

LB Gerris Wilkinson

DE Justin Tuck

TE Visanthe Shiancoe

OT Jeff Hatch

DB Will Peterson

WR Ron Dixon

TE Dan Campbell

I have to admit, that list looks pretty good.

I stand corrected.