SportsWrath

RotoWorld's Free Agency Winners and Losers

Mr. P

i think he does it on purpose because he thinks he can limit individual production to keep costs down without hurting the team. and hey they did win the superbowl so who can argue that it can't be done. next year we'll get that jonas gray/brandon bolden game in week 11 and they'll still win and some risk taker on fanduel will get rich

Belichick's use of running backs is crazy. Watching them, you'd think he just pulled a name out of a hat for who got the touches that week.

Their whole offensive gameplan changes from year to year and no matter what it works. It's all crazy, Eventually it has to catch up to them though. Their leading rusher was Jonas Gray last year and had 412 yards and 201 came in one game.

Their whole offensive gameplan changes from year to year and no matter what it works. It's all crazy, Eventually it has to catch up to them though. Their leading rusher was Jonas Gray last year and had 412 yards and 201 came in one game.

...and didn't even dress the following week.

3 new Giants make Grantland's "10 worst free agent deals" so far.

Giants sputter early in free agency.

The New York Giants: Do they have a free agency plan?

Starting to look like I'll be watching until Odell Bekham Jr. inevitably gets hurt, then I'll be hiking or snowshoeing on Sundays. This team gives you nothing to be excited about.

Except, of course, this.

billcowher3.jpg

They seem to be intent on shoring up depth when the issue was not necessarily depth but not having good players in the first place. I originally thought one of the plans was to see what they had in some of last years free agent pick ups but to my knowledge, at least two of those are gone already in Walton and Thurmond. So I didn't necessarily expect to see us signing the Suh's and Mccourtys but the sad fact of the matter is that if they fielded this team right now, they'd be no better than they were on dec 28th against the eagles. A third down back and a kick returner in a league that barely allows kick returns are questionable signings at best.

They seem to be intent on shoring up depth when the issue was not necessarily depth but not having good players in the first place. I originally thought one of the plans was to see what they had in some of last years free agent pick ups but to my knowledge, at least two of those are gone already in Walton and Thurmond. So I didn't necessarily expect to see us signing the Suh's and Mccourtys but the sad fact of the matter is that if they fielded this team right now, they'd be no better than they were on dec 28th against the eagles. A third down back and a kick returner in a league that barely allows kick returns are questionable signings at best.

How many of our starters were out for the season on Dec 28th? The fact we're getting back Cruz, Beason, Prince... and whoever else was out is in itself a huge improvement. I think the FO's logic is A. We don't have money to spare and B. We have guys who just didn't play last year.

i see jennings as more of a complete back who you can run with on 1st and 2nd down with vereen being the third down/passing downs guy. it'd be nice if we could fill all rb needs with just two running backs but imo andre williams seems too limited thus far.

vereen isn't remarkable, but belichick doesn't really let any rbs shine in his system. i think he'd rather have 4 cheap guys that he uses with no discernible pattern that take up half the amount of cap space than most teams devote to their rb position

Yeah Bill gets smart and versatile guys so he can change things on the fly

How many of our starters were out for the season on Dec 28th? The fact we're getting back Cruz, Beason, Prince... and whoever else was out is in itself a huge improvement. I think the FO's logic is A. We don't have money to spare and B. We have guys who just didn't play last year.

That's a fair point. I'm concerned that Beason won't ever be healthy or last more than 6 games, however. Cruz might not be even 75%.....

That's a fair point. I'm concerned that Beason won't ever be healthy or last more than 6 games, however. Cruz might not be even 75%.....

This is pretty much exactly my thinking as well. We keep getting "depth signings" when we don't have actual starters at the same positions... and we can't think that Cruz and Beason are going to be able to contribute this year. Cruz may never play at a high level again, and Beason has missed something like 35 games in the past five years.

Agreed. But the financials aren't there for us. I see brothers on this board complain about our lack of activity in FA but no one would say what they would have done differently... We know the Giants tried to go after the Safety from NE but he resigned with his team... pretty much everyone else is FA was hugely overpriced and wouldn't really help us that much.

I would have started by not franchising JPP and letting him go or trying to resign him when he found out he wasn't going to get the JJ Watt contract he wanted. I would have extended Eli Manning, too...

Those moves would have saved like 15 million in cap space...

I would have started by not franchising JPP and letting him go or trying to resign him when he found out he wasn't going to get the JJ Watt contract he wanted. I would have extended Eli Manning, too...

Those moves would have saved like 15 million in cap space...

Some of us think we're better off with JPP... we already are short one starting DE.. how can you patch up two? Eli's contract being extended isn't going to fix shit.. just prolong the problem we have.

The move is to draft a defensive end with the number 9, not overpay a guy who no one was going to offer even a fraction of 14 million dollars a year for.

As it is, they likely go DE, anyway. So you'll have your two holes "patched" anyway

Some of us think we're better off with JPP... we already are short one starting DE.. how can you patch up two? Eli's contract being extended isn't going to fix shit.. just prolong the problem we have.

Ask the Patriots how it's working for them and Brady, must be nice to to only have to pay 8 million instead of 17 million like Eli is getting.

Wonder what the Giant's could of done with that extra 9 million, maybe sign that safety everyone wanted.

6-8 million per year would suffice.

I have a feeling we'll find out what his market value is after this season. $14 million is high enough, no chance they pay the franchise amount two seasons in row. Next season it would jump to like $17 million, which I would absolutely agree is way too much.

I have a feeling we'll find out what his market value is after this season. $14 million is high enough, no chance they pay the franchise amount two seasons in row. Next season it would jump to like $17 million, which I would absolutely agree is way too much.

Iirc teams aren't allowed to franchise a player in consecutive offseasons anymore.

Iirc teams aren't allowed to franchise a player in consecutive offseasons anymore.

They can in two, but not a third.

Thanks guys, I didn't know there had been a change.

Used to be you could keep franchising a guy, but only if you paid him 20% more than the prior year, or something prohibitive like that.