SportsWrath

Half Time Adjustments

Lughead

0...... All season. If the team we are playing makes an adjustment to exploit us we just let them do it on both sides of the ball. and we just take it

Discuss?

I agree.

I'm also concerned about the fact that McAdoo flat out refuses to stick with what works. The offense is Jekyll in the first half and Hyde in the second. The offense looks completely different EVERY game between the two halves. Just to put this out there, Beckham wasn't even targeted until 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter. And on that drive it was clear that he was the focal point of the drive. That is inexcusable ineptitude on the part of McAdoo.

I agree.

I'm also concerned about the fact that McAdoo flat out refuses to stick with what works. The offense is Jekyll in the first half and Hyde in the second. The offense looks completely different EVERY game between the two halves. Just to put this out there, Beckham wasn't even targeted until 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter. And on that drive it was clear that he was the focal point of the drive. That is inexcusable ineptitude on the part of McAdoo.

I keep thinking that Coughlin is more the puppet master than we give credit too... I think its Coughlin who is having the real final say on plays... IMHO...

I keep thinking that Coughlin is more the puppet master than we give credit too... I think its Coughlin who is having the real final say on plays... IMHO...

You know I try to think of this as well, but I think it's just a combination of both Coughlin and a brand new first time OC.

In fact this article has some interesting quotes.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/11/tom_coughlin_or_ben_mcadoo_responsible_for_giants_goal-line_play-calling.html

It raises the question of just how much input the long-time Giants coach has with the offense during the run of the game. New offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo carries the oversized laminated menu and calls the plays. Coughlin is believed to have become more of an overseer with his scheme having been shoved out the door this past offseason along with Kevin Gilbride after owner John Mara described it as a "broken" offense.

"I can do anything I want at any time. I do," Coughlin said when asked how much input he has in the play-calling. "Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't."

It's not the first time that McAdoo called for three fade patterns on the same goal-line series either. He did it in the season opener in Detroit, although he did sneak a third-down run in there that time. The Giants finally converted on fourth down against the Lions when Donnell caught a jump-ball for the Giants' first touchdown of the season.

Coughlin apparently didn't mind the calls. He thinks the result should have been the same on Sunday against the 49ers, and it shouldn't have even reached fourth down.

"In fact, after looking at the tape," he said. "I think two of those balls should have been caught."

So I don't know it seems like Coughlin gives him all the room in the world, like the article said allowing McAdoo to call three fade calls, but he does still have input.

I still think he gives McAdoo all the room in the world but I think the leash is getting shorter and shorter as McAdoo seems to go full fucking stupid on some series.

You know I try to think of this as well, but I think it's just a combination of both Coughlin and a brand new first time OC.

In fact this article has some interesting quotes.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/11/tom_coughlin_or_ben_mcadoo_responsible_for_giants_goal-line_play-calling.html

So I don't know it seems like Coughlin gives him all the room in the world, like the article said allowing McAdoo to call three fade calls, but he does still have input.

I still think he gives McAdoo all the room in the world but I think the leash is getting shorter and shorter as McAdoo seems to go full fucking stupid on some series.

Yes Mac goes stupid... and I think a lot of it happens to be in alignment with what Coughlin wants... Mac is the new guy brought in to help out the director who felt everything was fine... not a good working combination. I wonder how Mara/Tisch are going to deal with this... it will prove interesting...

Yes Mac goes stupid... and I think a lot of it happens to be in alignment with what Coughlin wants... Mac is the new guy brought in to help out the director who felt everything was fine... not a good working combination. I wonder how Mara/Tisch are going to deal with this... it will prove interesting...

I don't see why people believe that Coughlin thought everything was fine or he was forced to fire someone than hire whoever he wants.

If anything it's JR/Coughlin's call on who gets the boot and who gets fired.

Coughlin has never been the GM/HC/OC all rolled into one lik Bilichek or McCarthy, who have a lot of free reign on how the team is run and who gets drafted.

I'm not trying to defend the guy, it's just one year he's the most controlling HC in the world, the next he has no control on the team and JR has to do his job, the next year he has control over who gets hired and fired, the next he's in control of every last part of the team, according to the fans.

This "3 straight fades called" myth has to be put to rest. I heard Eli on Francesca the day after the Niner game and Mike asked him to take him through the series. Eli said the first down play was a called run....he audibled out of it because they were stacking the box and he had single coverage on Beckham on the outside....second down Eli said the call was a play designed to move the pocket....Beckham was doubled so he looked to Randle who had single coverage....and on third down the play was dependent on zone or man coverage, the coverage was man and Donnell drew the single coverage so Eli went to him.

Link to the interview....the discussion about the series is right in the beginning.

-Z

coughlin was basically the general manager in jacksonville

Basically what I am writing is that Team Boston College (AKA The Giants Ownership/Management) bend over backward to please Coughlin and not rock the boat. I think Mac is in a classic can't win zone... hey I am a new guy who wants to implement a more up tempo offense... I have a QB schooled in the ways of Johnny Unitas... my predecessor was the Lord of Seven Step Drops...and the head coach was/is know for wanting his own guys to the perceived detriment of the team in place. If it was just Mac...then I would say people were jumping to conclusions...but going through Coughlin's history of dealing with his assistants... the guy doesn't get rid of them unless he is nudged/pushed/forced to... Now picture the relationship of Mac to Coughlin... a new assistant replacing my original good old boy... doing things different...not my Giants (e.g. my way) way...no sir... Now teams understand...all you have to do is weather the first half storm... and the Giants can and will be had in the second half. They are club fighters at this point who punch themselves out by the 5th round and spend the rest of the fight clinching and holding on...

0...... All season. If the team we are playing makes an adjustment to exploit us we just let them do it on both sides of the ball. and we just take it

Discuss?

The New York Giants have scored 21 points, dominated the clock and scored on three of five successful drives with the defense having successfully limited the offense of Jacksonville to a field goal and a total of 128 yards of offense. Why would you adjust that at half time?

The reason for second half collapses and losses aren't from a lack of adjustments at half time.

Basically what I am writing is that Team Boston College (AKA The Giants Ownership/Management) bend over backward to please Coughlin and not rock the boat. I think Mac is in a classic can't win zone... hey I am a new guy who wants to implement a more up tempo offense... I have a QB schooled in the ways of Johnny Unitas... my predecessor was the Lord of Seven Step Drops...and the head coach was/is know for wanting his own guys to the perceived detriment of the team in place. If it was just Mac...then I would say people were jumping to conclusions...but going through Coughlin's history of dealing with his assistants... the guy doesn't get rid of them unless he is nudged/pushed/forced to... Now picture the relationship of Mac to Coughlin... a new assistant replacing my original good old boy... doing things different...not my Giants (e.g. my way) way...no sir... Now teams understand...all you have to do is weather the first half storm... and the Giants can and will be had in the second half. They are club fighters at this point who punch themselves out by the 5th round and spend the rest of the fight clinching and holding on...

i have a feeling that coughlin is a wellington guy and not a john guy. i think if he felt he could've gotten away with it he would've fired tom last year and that's why he kind of got involved in things and retired gilbride

Discuss?

This team never makes adjustments. They are just stubborn as hell. Gus Bradley probably called Pete Carroll and asked him how to make it happen against these giants. His response was simple. Do the read option and pressure their QB. They have no answers for either. They don't adjust and just stick with their guns.

The only adjustments the Jags made that we didn't yesterday was that they executed in the second half and we didn't, as you might have heard David Diehl say during the telecast. Honestly, guys, the whole "halftime adjustment" thing is way overblown. It's much more that we don't have the personnel (ESPECIALLY after the OL was ravaged yesterday) and we can hide guys in the scheme for a while but sooner or later, they will be exposed.

And how many times does JPP have to see the damn bootleg before he doesn't bite on the fake? He's been a huge disappointment this year.

The only adjustments the Jags made that we didn't yesterday was that they executed in the second half and we didn't, as you might have heard David Diehl say during the telecast. Honestly, guys, the whole "halftime adjustment" thing is way overblown. It's much more that we don't have the personnel (ESPECIALLY after the OL was ravaged yesterday) and we can hide guys in the scheme for a while but sooner or later, they will be exposed.

And how many times does JPP have to see the damn bootleg before he doesn't bite on the fake? He's been a huge disappointment this year.

We're just in a long haul for UGLY ball it's looks like. They're so fucking predictable with the running game it's ridiculous.

We're just in a long haul for UGLY ball it's looks like. They're so fucking predictable with the running game it's ridiculous.

Funny, the running plays didn't look so predictable before the OL was ravaged, did it? And when those running plays worked a little, funny how Eli had more time to throw when he dropped back, wasn't it?

All plays look "predictable" when they get snuffed....and I've heard a rumor that there is a direct correlation between the Offensive Line and successful running plays. And I also heard somewhere that losing your top RB early in the 4th qtr is not helpful. I don't know, that's just what I've heard......

Funny, the running plays didn't look so predictable before the OL was ravaged, did it? And when those running plays worked a little, funny how Eli had more time to throw when he dropped back, wasn't it?

All plays look "predictable" when they get snuffed....and I've heard a rumor that there is a direct correlation between the Offensive Line and successful running plays. And I also heard somewhere that losing your top RB early in the 4th qtr is not helpful. I don't know, that's just what I've heard......

They didn't do anything after the half no matter how you look at it, that and the fact it was a horrible team they lost to. You can defend that kind of playing all you want!

Aside from the touchdown run and a sporadic run for 8 yards, the running game WAS stuffed. It took Jennings around 26 carries just to reach 90 yards. and he got nearly a quarter of that on the touchdown run. It is predictable and doesn't do anything to help out a pathetic run blocking defense. A delayed draw out of the shot gun is not good run playcalling when your oline sucks. And he runs it at least 5 times a game.

Man this place is full of maddness... I'm looking at the bright side... this means there will be a lot of toilet flushing in the offseason... and we're going to have some good young players being drafted in almost every fucking round... and Fewel will be out... :cheers:

i have a feeling that coughlin is a wellington guy and not a john guy. i think if he felt he could've gotten away with it he would've fired tom last year and that's why he kind of got involved in things and retired gilbride

I agree... I also think he and Reese speak the same language... and they both look like the guys who glance sideways at one another as the Old Man speaks... We all know Wellington and Art Rooney took it up the ass for the betterment of the league as a whole as opposed to being concerned with their teams alone. The son seems more along the lines of make me some money... and if you are losing ...you may start losing me some money (or at least make less) ... fuck the league...