SportsWrath

So Cruz would draft a WR...Evans specifically

gmenroc

If they do draft a Tackle #1, that probably means Pugh moves inside, simply because of Beatty's contract. He's got four years left, with a lot guaranteed. If they cut him this year (which they won't, just putting the numbers up) it would be $15.5M in dead cap money. Next year, it would be $7.5M dead cap money. 2016, it's $5M and 2017, the final year of the contract, it would be $2.5M. If you draft a OT #1 this year, that will be three OTs on your roster earning top OT $$. I have to believe the Giants are going to give Beatty every chance to prove they didn't make a mistake with him. I don't see how they can draft an OT with the intention of replacing Beatty.

If they do draft a Tackle #1, that probably means Pugh moves inside, simply because of Beatty's contract. He's got four years left, with a lot guaranteed. If they cut him this year (which they won't, just putting the numbers up) it would be $15.5M in dead cap money. Next year, it would be $7.5M dead cap money. 2016, it's $5M and 2017, the final year of the contract, it would be $2.5M. If you draft a OT #1 this year, that will be three OTs on your roster earning top OT $$. I have to believe the Giants are going to give Beatty every chance to prove they didn't make a mistake with him. I don't see how they can draft an OT with the intention of replacing Beatty.

Pugh and the draftee would both remain on their rookie deals making it entirely possible to carry all 3 OTs.

If the draft pick excelled and beat out Beatty for a starting spot, so be it. I have no problems benching a guy who gets paid more if he can't perform as well as the guy behind him on the depth chart who's making less.

That's a good point. Pugh will be in line for a new contract before Beatty's runs out but it's only a year overlap.....but while you might not have a problem with a ton of cap space sitting on the bench, the Giants will bend over backwards to keep that from happening. I also recall TC saying something about wanting Pugh to add some bulk and hinting he could move inside.

That's a good point. Pugh will be in line for a new contract before Beatty's runs out but it's only a year overlap.....but while you might not have a problem with a ton of cap space sitting on the bench, the Giants will bend over backwards to keep that from happening. I also recall TC saying something about wanting Pugh to add some bulk and hinting he could move inside.

I didn't think it was hinting he should move inside, I think it's because he wanted the RT to be heavier.

Lots of salary on the bench isn't a good habit to have, but one you can tolerate on a limited basis. Your best players and your highest paid players are not always the same and I'm in line to have the best players play...not the highest paid ones.

There were many who thought Pugh would be a better G than T at the NFL level when he was drafted. If we drafted a T who could play right away and if Beatty returned to form...then we could potentially move Pugh inside. I'd rather have 3 OTs than 1

He really didnt say anything wrong.

Cruz needs a legitimate number one to keep defenses best CBs away from him, he excels when he can get mismatched against a nickle corner or a LB.

I have zero faith in Randel and I still don't think Jernigan is anything special.

We need WR help. Maybe not in the form of a first round pick but I wouldn't be surprised to see a second round pick on a solid WR who could develop into a #1 WR.

I don't think WR should be any higher than the 3rd round in terms of our draft needs v. available talent.

that's been my position for most of the last 6 months, and i think they go that direction or TE but i am just not a fan of our wr corps right now.

Look I want a stud WR as much as anyone but the glaring need is right there in the form of a 300+ lbs guy who can anchor the OL (Left tackle for me because I think Beatty is mediocre at best)

Tempest,

The line maybe serviceable for 2014 but how many more years are you going to get out of Snee? Our Center is a huge ? and so is Beatty. I won't expect the rookie to start but we need to solidify the line now or relive the horror that was 2013.

Look I want a stud WR as much as anyone but the glaring need is right there in the form of a 300+ lbs guy who can anchor the OL (Left tackle for me because I think Beatty is mediocre at best)

Tempest,

The line maybe serviceable for 2014 but how many more years are you going to get out of Snee? Our Center is a huge ? and so is Beatty. I won't expect the rookie to start but we need to solidify the line now or relive the horror that was 2013.

Snee is done at the end of the season. Probably drafting a guard this year. I think the offensive line is already better than serviceable, we can compete with this line because we have some veteran depth now. Sure there are question marks but when haven't we had questions on the line? It really doesn't take a lot to fix an offensive line if you have a couple of players to build around. Rookies do start on this team.

Hey Mods, fix the boards already!

Evans is fucking Ramses Barden 2.0 They have an identical skill set... like, 100% identical.

I mean, it is possible that McAdoo will actually know how to use a guy like that, but... no thanks.

Except that Evans put up numbers in the SEC, Barden in the Big Sky Conference.

Evans is fucking Ramses Barden 2.0 They have an identical skill set... like, 100% identical.

I mean, it is possible that McAdoo will actually know how to use a guy like that, but... no thanks.

Evans reminds me a lot of Mike Williams when he came out.

I'd be happy with Evans, but we'd have to trade up to get him because he'll be gone. And once Watkins and Evans are off the board, you might as well wait till the 3rd round as there's some good ones left (like 10-15 of them) and they are all crap shoots.

We need to go with a player that we absolutely know cannot miss. Doesn't have to be flashy - just a solid football player that will make the team better. My hope is that there's a run on QB's and there's one left on the board at 12 so that some team is willing to trade up to us to get him.

I'd be happy with Evans, but we'd have to trade up to get him because he'll be gone. And once Watkins and Evans are off the board, you might as well wait till the 3rd round as there's some good ones left (like 10-15 of them) and they are all crap shoots.

We need to go with a player that we absolutely know cannot miss. Doesn't have to be flashy - just a solid football player that will make the team better. My hope is that there's a run on QB's and there's one left on the board at 12 so that some team is willing to trade up to us to get him.

You really think 2 WRs are gonna be gone with the 1st 11 picks? Well I hope you're right because that means we have even better choices. The only player outside OL I won't be upset with is Aaron Donald.

You really think 2 WRs are gonna be gone with the 1st 11 picks? Well I hope you're right because that means we have even better choices. The only player outside OL I won't be upset with is Aaron Donald.

Yeah...both WR's will be gone....probably by the 8th pick.

I'd be okay with Donald too, but I'd be ecstatic if someone like Khalil Mack should he fell through the cracks. Fat chance Mack will fall. He's the best linebacker to hit the draft in several years...a real game changer.

Yeah...both WR's will be gone....probably by the 8th pick.

I'd be okay with Donald too, but I'd be ecstatic if someone like Khalil Mack should he fell through the cracks. Fat chance Mack will fall. He's the best linebacker to hit the draft in several years...a real game changer.

I know better to set my hopes THAT high lol

There's talk that a lot teams like Mack more then Clowney. Mack has been more productive, granted it's the MAC vs SEC competition. Mack also seems to want it more.

Yeah...I think you're going to hear the names Mack and Clowney for years to come. Both are almost guaranteed to be perennial pro bowlers.

Yeah...I think you're going to hear the names Mack and Clowney for years to come. Both are almost guaranteed to be perennial pro bowlers.

Yeah Mack is everything you want in a LB, oh lord if he fell to the Giant's.

Clowney though fucking scares me, he's the type of player to have the physical capabilities of a human god and the attitude of Suh.

I swear he's going to kill atleast one QB before he retires and put a couple more in a wheelchair.

The thing is how many LBs have been drafted in the last say 10-15 years in the top 5? I can think of maybe 3 off the top. Now how many from a small school who don't face elite competition? I can't think of any. I honestly think Mack will not be drafted in the top 5. 7-10 is where I think he'll go. OTs, DEs, and QBs hold a lot of value. Then the playmakers like WR and CB. Mack's my favorite prospect this year but with the three tackles, Watkins, Clowney, and at least 1 QB that's the top 6 picks to me. If I was Reese tho I'd move up if he got to 8.

Yeah Mack is everything you want in a LB, oh lord if he fell to the Giant's.

Clowney though fucking scares me, he's the type of player to have the physical capabilities of a human god and the attitude of Suh.

I swear he's going to kill atleast one QB before he retires and put a couple more in a wheelchair.

I think whoever drafts Clowney is going to be sorely disappointed. Not an effort guy, doesn't believe in the value of practice and doesn't have a football name.

I think whoever drafts Clowney is going to be sorely disappointed. Not an effort guy, doesn't believe in the value of practice and doesn't have a football name.

I think he'll play the game for the wrong reasons.

He wont go out to win the game for his team, he'll go out and try to put up numbers so he can sell his name.

He seems like the type of guy who will be the next TO, Chad Johnson, Prime Time. He'll go out and play every week just so he can make money outside of the game.