SportsWrath

Giants | Closing in on a deal with CB Zackary Bowman

BleedinBlue

From KFFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/26/nfl/new-york-giants)

Giants | Closing in on a deal with Zackary Bowman

Fri, 21 Mar 2014 13:23:07 -0700The New York Giants are closing in on a one year deal with CB Zackary Bowman (Bears) on a one-year contract.

Terms of the deal have not been disclosed.

| Source: ESPNChicago.com - Jeff Dickerson

----------------------------------

Well, looks like Reese and TC aren't through yet. What a crazy free agent period for the Gints this year

Doing some background on this guy

29 yrs old, 6'1" / 193 lbs - went to Nebraska for 2 years

"In 2009, Bowman took over Vasher's starting spot at cornerback for the Bears. He recorded 66 tackles, six interceptions, and one forced fumble over the course of the season.

During the Bears 2010 mini camp, head coach Lovie Smith announced that Bowman would replace Charles Tillman as the team's left side cornerback. In a typical Cover 2 defense, team's will usually place their best cornerback on the left side of their defensive formations"

2010-2012, didn't do much

"In 2013, Bowman was an unrestricted free agent, but signed a one-year deal with the Bears. During the season, Bowman played in all 16 games while starting in seven, and recorded 49 tackles along with three interceptions".

I guess this put to rest any thoughts of Ross or T2 coming back. This sounds like good depth and will probably compete with Hosley for the 4th CB on the team.

Reading up on this guy from the Bears perspective, from Dane Noble, editor of SB Nation's Bears' web site:

"Bowman is one of those players who had always done very well on special teams, but not quite enough on defense to keep a starting DB spot.

On special teams, he's a guy that is ALWAYS around the ball on kickoff and punt coverage... if his name isn't being called specifically for making the tackle, he's still a part of helping make that tackle happen.

On defense, he was always a solid backup, and had a few chances to lock down a starting position... Lovie Smith gave him a few chances to start and make some things happen, but that defense was so productive that Bowman couldn't quite rise to the level of play that everyone else was at. When inserted into the starting lineup due to injuries, he was serviceable, but just couldn't quite get over that hump of being an everyday guy.

His value definitely comes on ST's, and providing depth as a defensive back, but he can be a liability in the passing game when put on an island. In run support, he's good, and can thrive when part of a gang mentality.

Overall, I'd say he's a really good ST guy, and a solid depth player on defense."

From Ed Valentine:

"Remember how awful the Giants were on special teams a year ago? They couldn't return the ball, a problem they hope to have solved with the additions of Trindon Holliday and Quintin Demps. They couldn't cover kicks, either, giving up three punt returns for touchdown and tying with the Redskins for last in the league in return yardage allowed with 655 yards surrendered.

Bowman, if he signs, would be a Giant to help in that department. The fact that he could be an adequate job at corner if needed due to injuries is a bonus."

Sounds to me like this isn't about Hosely, but the Giants determination to fix a horrible special teams unit and have a blue collar backup CB if needed.

By "blue collar" you mean "not great"? Hosley's not exactly a lock for being a starter either.

Blue collar was a poor choice of words. Basically speaking, he works his ass off as a student of the game to be average. This work ethic of his might explain why he's good on special teams.

We have to admit, our special team's play absolutely sucks and has for several years. When Tyree was on the team, we had a real "gunner" and overall, our ST's play was pretty good. But it's not been good for a long time.

I suppose that given choices for the 5th CB, you go with the guy that is a great ST's player. For all the knock on Herzlich as an average LB'er, he's one of our best ST players...as is Zak DeOssie, who manages to make over a million dollars a year as a "linebacker" (who can hike the ball 15 yards with general consistency), but is also especially good in tackling on special teams. If he wasn't so good as a tackler in ST's, I doubt he would still be on the team.

I suspect the front office and TC have had it with shitty ST's play and are consciously looking for backup players who excel on special teams. The signing of Demps and Holliday sure seems to indicate such. It would certainly be nice to see the Giants stuff a returner instead of watching him dance untouched for 20 yards or on occasion, go all the way to the end zone for an easy 6.

Special teams needs a major overhaul. I like that the front office is actually concerned about fixing it. And having really good ST players who can also fill a void when necessary is a plus (IMO)

Agreed. Not a blockbuster signing, but a good one. I've watched him plenty with the Bears.....he's capable on defense, and the Bears special teams have always been very good.

Boy....they didn't waste any time signing Bowman did they..........duhhhh. The story broke they were trying to sign him weeks ago. Patterson is worth a 1-yr extension. Nothing flashy, but a very adequate backup and spot starter.

I like the Bowman signing because I read the Bears' board and the fans were complaining that he was their best special teams player and was always in on tackles. He was to the Bears what David Tyree was to us a few years ago

I like the way they've retooled the special teams. half the players they signed were excellent ST players. We now have two guys who can return, and a squad that can stop the other team after the catch.