Nicked

Bigblue25

Published: Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:23 a.m.

Updated: Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

Hakeem Nicks not expected back with N.Y. Giants in '14

Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

+Follow on Twitter

Hakeem Nicks told reporters last month, "I still consider myself one of the top receivers in this league, and I'm going to go out and prove it."

That isn't likely to happen with the New York Giants.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday on "NFL GameDay Morning" that Nicks is not expected to return with Big Blue next season. His fate boils down to two factors: His disappointing play over the past two years, and a string of team-imposed fines.

Rapoport was told by multiple sources that Nicks has been fined several times by the Giants for two infractions. The first, for repeatedly being late; the second, for missing treatments. The fines, in general, were "in the thousands for each transgression," according to a team source.

Nicks isn't the only New York player who took a slap on the wrist this season, but his behavior in a contract year frustrated the Giants, according to Rapoport.

The fifth-year pass-catcher has battled injuries over the past two seasons and looked entirely average in 2013, failing to haul in a touchdown grab while averaging just 3.8 receptions per game. His lack of production made him the subject of trade whispers earlier this season, but that won't be necessary.

Nicks sounds like he's out the door.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000314882/article/hakeem-nicks-not-expected-back-with-giants-in-2014?campaign=Twitter_atl

I don't see him in Giants' blue next year. He came on like a house fire when he first suited up and was spectacular, but has shown nothing for two years now. And it makes no sense that last year - a contract year no less - that he didn't give it everything he's got to maximize his value. If he can't get motivated in a contract year that can mean ten's of millions of dollars in the future, I don't know what would motivate him now. Hard to figure out. maybe some other team can bring out what he used to have, I don't think the Giants can.

Very disappointing. WTF happened to this guy? I wonder if he was also chronically late and missing treatments during his great years? So I guess we add "find receiver" to the off season "to do" list. Even if you do think Randle is ready to fill a #1 receiver role on the outside, we need someone to take the #2 outside spot.

Sucks because from 2009-2011 he was THAT good. Ashame when your body starts failing you when you are 25 years old.

Not if you're active ... Body starts down hill between 30 to 35... Unless you're in the MLB :D

unfortunately there aren't any other #1 wr options out there this offseason unless you want to count decker. most teams give their #1 wr contract extensions

Yep. That's why I am thinking WR in round one. There's talk of Maclin, rumors are Giants wanted Maclin instead of Nicks in the 2009 draft. He is coming of a pretty significant injury though.

Yep. That's why I am thinking WR in round one. There's talk of Maclin, rumors are Giants wanted Maclin instead of Nicks in the 2009 draft. He is coming of a pretty significant injury though.

I thought the big debate that year was Nicks vs Britt, since Maclin was going to go well ahead of where the Giant's picked.

I thought the big debate that year was Nicks vs Britt, since Maclin was going to go well ahead of where the Giant's picked.

Maclin went 19th, Nicks 29. Giants had a deal in place to move up to 20, until Eagles moved up to 19.

yeah i like maclin but the supply is so low at that position this offseason that the injury might not even keep him cheap.

are there any 1st round wr's that could fall to us that we could get excited about?

unfortunately there aren't any other #1 wr options out there this offseason unless you want to count decker. most teams give their #1 wr contract extensions

I think the Giants are disappointed in Nicks but also them letting out this info now could mean they're leveraging what they know to discourage other teams from signing him. At the end of the day I think the Giants make him a fair offer... Where he'd have to earn his pay and if another team is willing to overpay so be it.

yeah i like maclin but the supply is so low at that position this offseason that the injury might not even keep him cheap.

are there any 1st round wr's that could fall to us that we could get excited about?

Evans and Lee, I don't think we'll be in position to draft Watkins.

Evans

Lee

Watkins

I actually Lee more then Evans and Watkins. Lee was the Biletnokoff award winner and Pac 12 poy in 2012. If he came out last year would of been top ten pick. Battled injuries this past year, so his medical would be carefully evaluated during the combine.