SportsWrath

Nicked

Bigblue25

I'd offer him a 1 year, 6 million deal with a 2nd year player/team option for 7 million and that's the furthest I'd be willing to go given the past two years. 6 miilion is not much in terms of a starting WR. And whether he's a #1 or #2, it'd still be a bargain. I'd lay it out very simply...you get 7+ TDs and 1000 yards, we'll pick up the 2nd year option. You don't, you hit FA next year looking for a payday elsewhere.

He's decent and CAN be very, very good. But he's got Albert Haynesworth syndrome...lots of talent, but just not putting it together due to injury, effort, etc. If he's looking for his $100 million, he can get it from some other team.

oh man, I've been hard on the guy, but comparing him to Albert Haynesworth? thats too far....

I'd almost get a chubby if the Giants could get him for $7 million per. He's that good.

He WAS that good. Hasn't been THAT good for 2 years. I'm thinking 7 mil is even a stretch at this point. And yeah, Haynesworth was THAT good, got paid, and then fell from grace. Nicks is falling from grace BEFORE he's getting paid and is STILL looking to get paid. That's ridiculous.

oh man, I've been hard on the guy, but comparing him to Albert Haynesworth? thats too far....

I'd almost get a chubby if the Giants could get him for $7 million per. He's that good.

He's been that good and maybe he will be again but I wouldn't pay anywhere near $7M to find out, esp with our tight cap constraints......and I'm one of the guys who, back in September, was saying we MUST sign him.

nobody on offense was good last year

and the advanced wr numbers point to a guy who was not targeted much and was not accurately thrown to when he was targeted. i've posted the numbers before

but was he not targeted much because he couldn't get open?

since when has his game been predicated on getting a lot of separation?

he had career highs in all stats that indicate explosiveness. yards per catch, plays over 20 yards. all career highs since becoming a starter

2012: 100 targets in 13 games--most of which were played on one leg where he was visibly limping throughout each game

2013: 101 targets in 15 games in a season where his yards per catch, average yards after catch, plays over 20 yards were all career highs since he became a starter. in a season where the giants were behind often and eli attempted more passes than 2012. how do you reconcile this? let's say we can see past the edges of our tv screens and saw him not getting open this season, was he really getting more open on one leg in 2012?

2012: 100 targets in 13 games--most of which were played on one leg where he was visibly limping throughout each game

2013: 101 targets in 15 games in a season where his yards per catch, average yards after catch, plays over 20 yards were all career highs since he became a starter. in a season where the giants were behind often and eli attempted more passes than 2012. how do you reconcile this? let's say we can see past the edges of our tv screens and saw him not getting open this season, was he really getting more open on one leg in 2012?

He did seem to be running different plays this season too.

In prior years his game was predicated on the slant or hooks to the back shoulder/sideline. Barely saw those at all in 2013. I get that teams were sitting on the back shoulder throw because they weren't scared of Nicks beating them deep, but what happened to the slant?

He did seem to be running different plays this season too.

In prior years his game was predicated on the slant or hooks to the back shoulder/sideline. Barely saw those at all in 2013. I get that teams were sitting on the back shoulder throw because they weren't scared of Nicks beating them deep, but what happened to the slant?

between the drops, bad throws and miscommunications with our wr's on the slants and similar option plays this year i think we threw that one out too. another thing that puzzled me this year was cruz running x-routes. the guy's a quick shifty guy who gets open early and can make a play after the catch, he's not a "go get it while you're covered" wr

Hakeem Nicks: The NFL's perception of the Giants' free-agent wide receiver

Hakeem-Nicks.jpg

Opinions on Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks are all over the map as he gets set to hit free agency. (Andrew Mills/The Star-Ledger)

Jordan Raanan/NJ.com By Jordan Raanan/NJ.com

Follow on Twitter

on January 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM, updated January 24, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks didn't score a touchdown in 2013. It's perhaps the most perplexing outcome of a total head-scratcher of a season.

Nicks, 26, now heads into free agency with three touchdown receptions in his last 30 games. He's coming off a season where he missed the Giants' most important contest with an abdominal injury he wanted to play through, but the coaching staff wouldn't allow him to do.

So, Nicks now heads into free agency with little chance of returning to the Giants. Their opinion of the veteran wide receiver is poisoned. But what about the rest of the league?

It seems to be a mixed bag. I asked a handful of personnel executives, scouts and coaches about Nicks at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., this week. Some appear undeterred by his lackluster season; others are concerned.

One NFL personnel executive told NJ.com that the perception around the league is that Nicks dogged it this past season. He didn't provide full effort in order to protect himself heading into free agency.

That same executive still didn't think it was a deal-breaker in free agency. He believed there remains a realistic chance that there is a team out there that would pay Nicks the sizable contract he's looking for on the free-agent market.

That seems to be one camp. Another appears to be those who believe that Nicks lack of production and performance was a result of lingering injuries and the Giants offense's overall ineptitude.

"I didn't see [him dogging] it," one league source said. "He's a wide receiver. You know wide receivers, they like to get the ball. When they don't, this happens. Their quarterback and offense just didn't get going."

There's some validity to that line of thinking. There were about a handful of throws Giants quarterback Eli Manning didn't make that could have been touchdowns. The perception of Nicks might be significantly different if a few of those were completed.

Instead, Nicks will be looked at very closely as he enters the free-agent market. Teams will examine his lengthy injury history (knee, foot, hand) and attitude after this season.

The NFL Network reported last week about fines Nicks had received last year for being late to meetings and treatments. They also noted that Nicks is not a bad guy, but his actions last year didn't sit well with the Giants.

This is also something that other teams may easily overlook. Giants coach Tom Coughlin is known for his strict rules and his proclivity for promptness. The clocks in the Giants facility are would back five minutes so everyone runs on Coughlin time. Fines are discreetly distributed regularly throughout the season for tardiness.

Everyone is late there, another league source said. Everyone gets fined at some point. Those [Nicks] fines are nothing.

Teams in desperate need of a wide receiver may be willing to easily overlook some of the minor knocks on Nicks. Despite some character concerns coming out of North Carolina, he has never been in trouble with the law, his teammates like him and even in a trying contract year, he never became a divisive force or major distraction in the locker room.

GIANTS NEWS ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Follow me on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

With Nicks' talent and past success, it seems likely that somebody other than the Giants will pay him this offseason. He's still young, proven and probably the most talented wide receiver on the market.

The other top free agent wide receivers are Denvers Eric Decker, Philadelphias Jeremy Maclin and Seattles Golden Tate. Its not exactly a star-studded class.

There will be someone out there who thinks Nicks is the best bet of the bunch because there are some who believe Nicks can be the dominant receiver he was in 2010 and '11 if he's in the right situation.

I think hes a hell of a football player, said Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, who faces Nicks and the Giants twice each season. Hes big, athletic, obviously fast and strong.

When hes healthy, hes one of the better ones in the league. Obviously he hasnt been healthy for two years. To me, when hes healthy, hes scary. I think his issue is just health.

Different strokes for different folks. It just goes to show that the perception on Nicks right now is all over the map.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/01/hakeem_nicks_the_nfls_perception_of_the_giants_free-agent_wide_receiver.html

I can understand the grief Nicks is getting for 2013, but 2012? He played hurt that entire season. Yeah, the numbers aren't good, but you can't fault the player for that.

I think his game will improve next year. I don't think it will be with our team, though--something went wrong last off season, and I think it showed. Probably felt slighted with the Cruz signing.

I can understand the grief Nicks is getting for 2013, but 2012? He played hurt that entire season. Yeah, the numbers aren't good, but you can't fault the player for that.

I think his game will improve next year. I don't think it will be with our team, though--something went wrong last off season, and I think it showed. Probably felt slighted with the Cruz signing.

lol there are a few members here who blame players for injuries