SportsWrath

Kevin Gilbride will announce his retirement soon

Lughead

we also had the most talent we've ever had on offense this era

my guess is that most teams are breaking their offensive franchise records these past few years. the nfl team offense, passing td and passing yardage records were each broken twice in the past 7 years

Kevin Gilbride retires as New York Giants coordinator.
Following a season that was as disappointing as any in his memory, co-owner John Mara determined that the New York Giants' offense is "broken."

Coach Tom Coughlin was reluctant to part with offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, which left the organization in a tricky situation.

A resolution was reached Thursday after a series of meetings between the coaching staff and front office.

A person informed of the decision has told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport that Gilbride plans to announce his retirement Thursday. The team's official website announced Gilbride's retirement shortly thereafter.

The leading candidate to replace Gilbride is former Giants wide receivers and quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan, who was recently let go as Buccaneers offensive coordinator.

Earlier this week, Mara acknowledged that the organization "obviously thinks very highly of him."

Now 62, Gilbride first hit the radar of NFL fans when Oilers defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan took a swing at him in the middle of a game -- as highlighted in NFL Network's "A Football Life: Houston '93."

In addition to a head coaching stint with the San Diego Chargers in 1997 to 1998, Gilbride has coordinated the offenses of the Giants, Oilers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills since entering the NFL in 1990.

He deserves ever-lasting credit for earning a pair of Super Bowl rings with Eli Manning, but it's time for a fresh voice in the quarterback's ear. Manning has clearly regressed since the middle of last season.

The Giants finished 31st out of 32 offenses in Football Outsiders' 2013 metrics. It reached the point where fans began to refer to Gilbride as "Killdrive."

If Sullivan's Buccaneers offense is any indication, the Giants will lean more heavily on the ground attack in 2014 if Sullivan gets the job. That has always been a staple of Coughlin's philosophy in the first place.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000308369/article/kevin-gilbride-will-retire-as-new-york-giants-coordinator

kevin gilbride was such a huge reason we won those superbowls, your heighness. it was totally kevin gilbride's offense that limited the greatest offense of all time to 14 points in the first superbowl.

it was totally gilbride's design that allowed nicks and cruz to turn 137 5 yard slants into 60+ yards TD's in 2011

never said the other teams lost those games. the team earned them, but to act like we couldn't have won without gilbride is oversimplifying the situation.

hey i have this rock that keeps tigers away. i haven't been mauled by a tiger and i had this rock the whole time so it must work

I'm glad to see him go, bring up the super bowls all you want, Defense, a litle luck and Eli and the receivers won those super bowls. The offense was predictable and he showed very little in the way of adjustments not only in game, but in season We can speak fondly of hi and wish him well and remember him however you want, but this offense just instantly got better, and he hasn't even been replaced yet.

no VG, didn't you hear? you can't win a superbowl unless everything runs perfectly. all facets of the game have to be flawless or you can't win the superbowl.

No we will never win again because Saint Gilbride has been put out to pasture... :cwy:

Bitter sweet... I appreciate what he did but it's just time to move on.

Agreed.

He deserves credit for the success the giants have had as their offensive coordinator but it is time for something new

Funny I was thinking the other day that if gilbride and Coughlin were tight that maybe gilbride would step down rather than allow TC to have to battle to keep him

It all depends on who we get. I think we will find out that this offense had a lot more Coughlin than he likes to admit.

It's all Coughlin's offense. If it were truly Gilbride's then you'd see a ton of one back sets with 4 wide outs. When was the last time, outside of a hail mary attempt the Giants ran out 4 wides?

Coughlin's teams live and die by the big play.

Norv Turner and Sullivan fit what Coughlin wants to do with his offensive schemes. Power running game, pass off of play action and shots deep down the field.

Someone like Kyle Shanahan and Gary Kubiak won't work because they run a totally different system with a different blocking scheme.

we also had the most talent we've ever had on offense this era

my guess is that most teams are breaking their offensive franchise records these past few years. the nfl team offense, passing td and passing yardage records were each broken twice in the past 7 year

Yeah, of course Gilly has impressive stats, everyone is putting up more points.

Nah, I remember reading a tweet earlier during training camp saying that there was a chance that Gilbride might retire after this season.

62, still a relatively young man. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in college in a few years.

He has been living in Hotel rooms for the past 4 years while his wife has been staying with their Daughter in Rhode Island and watches their Grand daughter so his Daughter could go to work . Also his wife has been at him to retire for a while now. I have more respect in Gillbride now than I did last week. he could of been being just as loyal to Coughlin as Coughlin was to him. but juggling a family schedule like that had to be a rough row to hoe. Maybe he was hoping Coughlin would retire so that he could also. Just so happened they couldn't go out on a good note together.