SportsWrath

Coughlin and JR press conference today

BlueInCanada

and I see people wanting Sullivan as our OC, don't those who want Gilbride fired want a change in system?

guess what, Sullivan basically runs Gilbrides system. So if you want a new guy calling plays from that playbook, Sullivan is your guy, if you want a new system then he is not.

Pdub! Where you been???? Welcome back! We need every sane voice we can muster these days! A losing season like this one empowers the lunatic fringe to bleat away!

There is certainly a lot of crazy happening in here hahah.

and I see people wanting Sullivan as our OC, don't those who want Gilbride fired want a change in system?

guess what, Sullivan basically runs Gilbrides system. So if you want a new guy calling plays from that playbook, Sullivan is your guy, if you want a new system then he is not.

But as has been pointed out, that system worked best (to the Big Dance) with Sullivan here.

Yeah, while the system would be similar, there would be different wrinkles and different implementation. According to speculation from guys like Gil Brant and Rich Gannon on NFL Sirius Radio, defenses picked up tendencies (esp the routes receivers would run) based on formations, personnel groupings, down & distance and field position. A fresh approach and tweaks in these areas (including reducing the risk factor in many plays) could make our old system new again.....and you're not asking Eli and the rest of the offense to forget everything they've done for all these years and start from square one.

Yeah, compared to you, and me and everyone else on this board for that matter, they are geniuses. They have forgotten more football in the last hour than you will ever fucking know. Ever heard the phrase, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"? That's when you know a little but not nearly enough to understand how much you DON'T know. You sound like a tantrum throwing spoiled kid.....or Jerry Jones....every time you place your deep ignorance in print.

My wife used to be in her college aviation club, flying piper cubs on weekends. I suggested she go down to Newark Airport and see if she can get a tryout as a pilot for United.

Again, I'm entitled to my opinion as you're entitled to yours.... It gives you no right to attack me... if you don't like what I say, you can either disagree or just let me be. What made you refer to my trip to Albany back in 2002? Are you insinuating I made it up? How's that even relevant to the discussion?

oh, the system is fine from an Xs and Os perspective... better than fine.

Not sure that a new system would be great for a 30+ yo Eli either.

I have no problem with the plays they're running, they just need to run them at the right times. Gilbride has always had a tendency to get playbook tunnel vision; Buddy Ryan didn't take a swing at him for nothing. Last season was a new low for him though; more than a few times it seemed like he wasn't even watching the game.

i want a brand new system

I'd want improvements to the system... you really don't want to introduce a brand new system to veterans... but the current system is stale and predictable.. adding a few more plays and working on making plays like the screen work is where I want this to go.

I would like to see plays come in from the sideline faster and more no huddle.

That's been my hope for the last two years. It seems we get killed when the opposition goes no huddle...to the point, we even had two players laying down feigning injuries last year just to try and stop them from that hurry up offense.

We have tried it maybe twice in two years and both times it worked like a charm and we caught the defense off guard and on their asses. It seems stupid to discover something that works really well, then take it out of the playbook.

Again, I'm entitled to my opinion as you're entitled to yours.... It gives you no right to attack me... if you don't like what I say, you can either disagree or just let me be. What made you refer to my trip to Albany back in 2002? Are you insinuating I made it up? How's that even relevant to the discussion?

I dunno, it just sort of came out when the word "delusional" entered the conversation in relation to you thinking you know as much about football as an NFL Head Coach. I don't think you made it up - I think you actually thought you could walk onto the Albany campus, cold, arrange a tryout and actually win the NY Giant kicker job. See, I'm guessing this delusional thing didn't just crop up overnight. (witness the fact that you still think you out-kicked the guy who actually was the Giant kicker that year.....but I guess the coaches were too dumb to see that)

But what made me attack you and treat you "dismissively" was you doing the same to TC. If you, with your limited knowledge, can relentlessly ridicule and attack someone as respected as TC with words like "retarded", "asshole", "stupid", etc, then in my book, that makes you fair game for the same. If you can dish it out, you can take it. I can defend him and dish it right back to you.

Look, Nas, coaches are fair game for criticism and second guessing. I do it myself. I want Gilly gone, for instance......but I'm also smart enough to realize I don't know nearly as much as him! When fans make the jump from second guessing to believing they actually know more than an NFL coach and spew constant contempt and ridicule toward them, totally disrespecting and discounting that this has been their life's work (which in TC's case includes two SUPER successes), that's when you jump the shark.

I dunno, it just sort of came out when the word "delusional" entered the conversation in relation to you thinking you know as much about football as an NFL Head Coach. I don't think you made it up - I think you actually thought you could walk onto the Albany campus, cold, arrange a tryout and actually win the NY Giant kicker job. See, I'm guessing this delusional thing didn't just crop up overnight. (witness the fact that you still think you out-kicked the guy who actually was the Giant kicker that year.....but I guess the coaches were too dumb to see that)

But what made me attack you and treat you "dismissively" was you doing the same to TC. If you, with your limited knowledge, can relentlessly ridicule and attack someone as respected as TC with words like "retarded", "asshole", "stupid", etc, then in my book, that makes you fair game for the same. If you can dish it out, you can take it. I can defend him and dish it right back to you.

Look, Nas, coaches are fair game for criticism and second guessing. I do it myself. I want Gilly gone, for instance......but I'm also smart enough to realize I don't know nearly as much as him! When fans make the jump from second guessing to believing they actually know more than an NFL coach and spew constant contempt and ridicule toward them, totally disrespecting and discounting that this has been their life's work (which in TC's case includes two SUPER successes), that's when you jump the shark.

Again I am entitled to my opinion... an opinion some here agree with. Yet you and one or 2 guys always attack me in person... I ask you to lay off the personal attacks and accept the fact I have a brain just like you have one... and I'm entitled to my opinion like you're entitled to yours... Yes I was there in 2002... and I was a pretty good kicker back then... in 2004 I operated on my left knee and I'm never the same since... You taking that jab was low... beneath you. And kicking isn't really hard at ALL for a guy whose #1 sport was soccer.

Now unlike you I don't think TCs 2 SB trophies were all that.. the team got hot when it mattered and a lot of things went our way... and in each one of them there was a miracle catch... take those SB away and you have a mediocre old geezer whose teams are more knowing for 2nd half collapses and bending over to the lower tier teams in the league. I have the right to dismiss the asshole for all the heartache he caused me this season... How did you feel when he saw Gilly calling for pass plays when we were running 8, 9, 12, and 15 yard plays up Dallas' gut? And rememeber this old geezer is the guy who hired Gilly... and promoted Tim Lewis and Hufangle (sp)...

Again I am entitled to my opinion... an opinion some here agree with. Yet you and one or 2 guys always attack me in person... I ask you to lay off the personal attacks and accept the fact I have a brain just like you have one... and I'm entitled to my opinion like you're entitled to yours... Yes I was there in 2002... and I was a pretty good kicker back then... in 2004 I operated on my left knee and I'm never the same since... You taking that jab was low... beneath you. And kicking isn't really hard at ALL for a guy whose #1 sport was soccer.

Now unlike you I don't think TCs 2 SB trophies were all that.. the team got hot when it mattered and a lot of things went our way... and in each one of them there was a miracle catch... take those SB away and you have a mediocre old geezer whose teams are more knowing for 2nd half collapses and bending over to the lower tier teams in the league. I have the right to dismiss the asshole for all the heartache he caused me this season... How did you feel when he saw Gilly calling for pass plays when we were running 8, 9, 12, and 15 yard plays up Dallas' gut? And rememeber this old geezer is the guy who hired Gilly... and promoted Tim Lewis and Hufangle (sp)...

But you can't take them away. They are there. They were earned.

and why do you insist on calling Coughlin an asshole? By all accounts he's a great man.

and why do you insist on calling Coughlin an asshole? By all accounts he's a great man.

I cant wait till Nas starts telling us about the TV he has that rises out of the floor.

His players certainly think so. I know several of his former players ("know" just to say hello and occasionally chat when we're on line at the store or on the sideline of a youth game) and every one of them swears by TC. They say he's a GREAT (not good, great) coach and a tremendous human being.

I'm not trying to take them away... just keeping things in perspective. I don't know if he's an asshole.. its just my frustration with him and his style (see Strahan's 15 minutes early)

And it's more than two Super Bowls (and a 3rd as receivers coach under Parcells). His career record of 170-137 includes nine playoff appearances and a 12-7 post season record.....and that includes taking the expansion Jacksonville Jags to the AFC Championship Game in their second year of existence! You can quibble with some of his decisions but to disrespect and regard him as a know nothing idiot is to diminish yourself.

I'm not trying to take them away... just keeping things in perspective. I don't know if he's an asshole.. its just my frustration with him and his style (see Strahan's 15 minutes early)

See also Strahan repeatedly saying how he went from wondering if he could play for tom coughlin, to saying he'd never want to play for any other coach.

Strahan's book contains plenty of praise for Coughlin. and I just bought Coughlin's book and Strahan wrote the foreword to it.

The last bit of the foreword says this:

"And what I eventually discovered was that the lessons I learned from him weren't limited to football, that they were applicable to every aspect of my life. I still draw on them today and they have made a great difference for me.

When I look back on our relationship now, I tell people proudly that I love the man. I love him, and if I could, I would play for him any day. And together, we would win."

Coughlin asked about coaching changes "It will all be discussed in the coming weeks"

So unless JR has some surprise firings then dont expect any news about anyone going anywhere for awhile.

Translation : Our owner wants to fire Gilbride and I won't stake my career on a guy that helped make a 2 time SB MVP look like Dave brown

Translation : Our owner wants to fire Gilbride and I won't stake my career on a guy that helped make a 2 ttime SB MVP look like Dave brown

If anything JR was the guy defending Gully.

Coughlin just didn't throw him under the bus.

I don't see why people think Coughlin is against replacing Gilly, Coughlin has shown he has no problem replacing a coordinator.