SportsWrath

Coughlin and JR press conference today

BlueInCanada

This part of the article cracked me up..."The source said it's unlikely Coughlin will put his job on the line for Gilbride." There goes the famous Cheerleader Loyalty...

A choice comment from the article:

Look, the only reason the Coughlin apologists are targeting Reese today in all the articles is because they're trying to refocus the attention. Reese is not a target this time of year, but he is for them at all times. Fact is that Mara has given Reese a vote of confidence, but not Coughlin (yet). Their squirming tells me that deep down they know that the man has lost the grasp he once had of modern football. Now Gilbride is about to fall, which probably means Ryan and Gil Jr. as well.

Fact is these Coughlin apologists also know that Coughlin and his coaches all have a say in the selection of both amateur and pro talent, yet the GM has no say in coaching. It's going to be a long, uncomfortable few days for them not knowing their surrogate Grandpa's future. "Oh my! Who will carve my wife's dried-out Turkey next Thanksgiving?" Don't worry, he'll be back to guide this team to a 4-12 record in '14, all the while ignoring the young talent and not yielding to obvious in-game adjustments necessary to win games. He'll circle the wagons enough to ensure that he'll keep about a half-dozen of his cronies to maintain their sacred comfort zones.

Exactly...slot guys are way more easier to find than x WR's... we all remember Jerry Rice...name the slot guy...humming Jeopardy Music... :D

yep, great point. it's especially easy to find them because they don't have to be tall

im kind of surprised coughlin isn't putting himself on the line for gilbride, he must really be feeling the heat from ownership to not do that

Yes I agree man... its classic organizational politics...when the nominal head is facing extreme heat...his/her number 1, 2 and 3 bitches become expendable... I am seeing a version of this in the agency I work for now... :D

So let me get this right... I complain about our young players not being given a chance on the field and to have game-time experience (hands on experience) and I'm blasted for it.. now none other than Mara himself is saying so.

Oh for Christ fucking sake! STOP!!!!! You really believe you know more than a professional coach, a possible hall of fame coach, WHO IS AT PRACTICE EVERY FUCKING DAY????? Just how fucking delusional are you???? (I actually have a pretty good idea about anyone who said he went up to Albany to see if he could get a tryout as a kicker! LOL! I tried out for long snapper, myself)

TC is STILL one of the top coaches in the NFL and you, well, are not!

Jernigan is a slot receiver and he's behind a BETTER slot receiver (they hoped he'd be a returner but you might recall, that didn't work out)......and in the chances he's had (and again, you don't see practices, do you?), he's done little. I'm happy he did well but chances are, if you counted on him as your #1 slot receiver and defenses saw him on film and had a chance to prepare for him, he would not be as productive. You saw a scrap of talent and make it out to be a pro bowler we kept on the bench!

Look guys, you want to second guess some moves here or there, that's fair....and even then, it's like me second guessing you at whatever you do for a living. But to be completely dismissive and have total contempt for TC and use words like retarded, is over the top ridiculous and robs you of any credibility!

So let me get this right... I complain about our young players not being given a chance on the field and to have game-time experience (hands on experience) and I'm blasted for it.. now none other than Mara himself is saying so.

Do you need a hand carrying your cross?

Also, that's not what Mara said.

In fairness, Jerrel Jernigan never showed one INKLING of talent in the times he WAS out there. And there were times when he got a shot. He got more of a shot than a guy like Sinorice Moss ever got. And honestly, he had been on the same career path, too.

In Nas's defense, Mara is ALSO making Jernigan out to be some pro bowler who was wasting away on the bench.

In fairness, Jerrel Jernigan never showed one INKLING of talent in the times he WAS out there. And there were times when he got a shot. He got more of a shot than a guy like Sinorice Moss ever got. And honestly, he had been on the same career path, too.

Man, Sinorice was on this team for WAY too long. His best games were when David Carr was throwing passes in 2008 and 2009. Jernigan showed more in one quarter than Sinorice did his whole Giants career, which basically means Jerrell ran forward for positive yardage.

Anyways. The hot rumor is that Mike Sullivan would be hired to be OC. Sullivan is a Gilbride disciple. Here is the thing, Mike Glennon was pretty damn good in the redzone this year. Essentially he'd be running nearly the same exact scheme as Gilbride; here is the catch. I think there is something to be said in how the plays are called in and how you call a game. Can Sullivan change that? I don't know, but the Giants brass thinks highly of him and I wouldn't be shocked at all if Gilbride gets canned/retires, Sullivan comes in and eventually becomes Head Coach.

Counterpoint.

If you think Coughlin isn't going down without a fight about Gilbride, then you're fucking crazy. You know he is. We all know he's fiercely loyal to his guys. He's won 2 rings with Gilbride calling plays and he's called the best Giants offensive years since a Yelberton Abraham was quarterbacking for the Giants. Coughlin's loyalty is both extremely commendable and dopey at the same time.

Was just saying that Moss never really got a legitimate shot ON the field. I know, I know, the thinking is that these guys see them in practice and can tell what a player's made of then.

The reality is, these types of guys only get their shots and targets when the guys ahead of them on the depth chart go down. Jernigan was getting targets because Cruz and Nicks and Randle were all out. Julian Talley was getting targets. Eli couldn't get the ball to his X, Y, or slot receiver this year. Adding a second slot receiver that he couldn't get the ball to wouldn't have helped.

Was just saying that Moss never really got a legitimate shot ON the field. I know, I know, the thinking is that these guys see them in practice and can tell what a player's made of then.

I always felt he did. In 2005 and 2006 there wasn't much behind Plaxico and Toomer as far as wide outs go. Tim Carter? Willie Ponder? Tyree?

Even when Steve Smith got hurt his rookie year of '07, Moss didn't show much cept for 5 catches against the Lions that year. Shit, I think when Smith came back he was a healthy scratch for that run.

Sidenote: Moss woulda started Superbowl 42 in the event that Plaxico couldn't play.

Well, if you wanna bring that up. Victor Cruz's career took off when Manningham got hurt in 2011 and they had to bring in Brandon Stokely for a few games.

I forgot about Hixon too. Tore his ACL against the Rams on that tremendous catch for a touchdown. Miss that guy, always played his butt off for us. I'll be rooting for him.

Well, if you wanna bring that up. Victor Cruz's career took off when Manningham got hurt in 2011 and they had to bring in Brandon Stokely for a few games.

I forgot about Hixon too. Tore his ACL against the Rams on that tremendous catch for a touchdown. Miss that guy, always played his butt off for us. I'll be rooting for him

Hixon had a pretty sweet game-winner a couple weeks ago, too. Always dug the fight in that guy.

Good points on Sullivan Golfy. I think he'll adjust better than Gilbride and play to the strengths of the offense.

Josh Freeman had a really good year under Sully in 2012. As did the guy the Giants really wanted to draft, Doug Martin.

Then Mike Glennon was drafted (who had a good year under Sullivan, especially in the redzone) and Freeman for whatever reason, stopped trying.

I don't think its a coincidence that once Mike Sullivan left the Giants after Superbowl 46, the receivers and most importantly Eli Manning, have yet to play as well as they did when he was here.

I mean, I don't remember MANY times where the receiver would go one day, Eli would go another way and Eli had his hands up wondering what the fuck is going on. This year it was weekly occurrence. At this point, you can't convince me that Ruben Randal can even read.

Oh for Christ fucking sake! STOP!!!!! You really believe you know more than a professional coach, a possible hall of fame coach, WHO IS AT PRACTICE EVERY FUCKING DAY????? Just how fucking delusional are you???? (I actually have a pretty good idea about anyone who said he went up to Albany to see if he could get a tryout as a kicker! LOL! I tried out for long snapper, myself)

TC is STILL one of the top coaches in the NFL and you, well, are not!

Jernigan is a slot receiver and he's behind a BETTER slot receiver (they hoped he'd be a returner but you might recall, that didn't work out)......and in the chances he's had (and again, you don't see practices, do you?), he's done little. I'm happy he did well but chances are, if you counted on him as your #1 slot receiver and defenses saw him on film and had a chance to prepare for him, he would not be as productive. You saw a scrap of talent and make it out to be a pro bowler we kept on the bench!

Look guys, you want to second guess some moves here or there, that's fair....and even then, it's like me second guessing you at whatever you do for a living. But to be completely dismissive and have total contempt for TC and use words like retarded, is over the top ridiculous and robs you of any credibility!

I'm entitled to my opinion... Your hall of fame coach is mediocre at best and yes I drove to Albany to try out my luck... What so fricking hard about kicking for someone who's played soccer growing up anyway? Is that what keeps you up at night? Smfh.... Cheer on the cheerleader.. He's the dude who saw his team go 0 and fucking 6... And if it wasn't for some luck with injured opponents this team is easily 3 & 13... Easily.

You need to stop making seem like these guys are geniuses.... They're not.

Josh Freeman had a really good year under Sully in 2012. As did the guy the Giants really wanted to draft, Doug Martin.

Then Mike Glennon was drafted (who had a good year under Sullivan, especially in the redzone) and Freeman for whatever reason, stopped trying.

Yep, Freeman had over 4,000 yards passing and 33 td's. Talk is Tampa is going to get Lovie Smith and bring in Jeff Tedford has OC. Glennon does not fit Tedford's scheme, it will be intetesting to see if they start with a whole new QB. There's rumors they may take Marc Ross from us to be there GM.

I'm entitled to my opinion... Your hall of fame coach is mediocre at best and yes I drove to Albany to try out my luck... What so fricking hard about kicking for someone who's played soccer growing up anyway? Is that what keeps you up at night? Smfh.... Cheer on the cheerleader.. He's the dude who saw his team go 0 and fucking 6... And if it wasn't for some luck with injured opponents this team is easily 3 & 13... Easily.

You need to stop making seem like these guys are geniuses.... They're not.

Yeah, compared to you, and me and everyone else on this board for that matter, they are geniuses. They have forgotten more football in the last hour than you will ever fucking know. Ever heard the phrase, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"? That's when you know a little but not nearly enough to understand how much you DON'T know. You sound like a tantrum throwing spoiled kid.....or Jerry Jones....every time you place your deep ignorance in print.

My wife used to be in her college aviation club, flying piper cubs on weekends. I suggested she go down to Newark Airport and see if she can get a tryout as a pilot for United.