SportsWrath

David Baas to IR

Tempest

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9868231/david-baas-new-york-giants-placed-season-ending-ir

The New York Giants placed starting center David Baas on season-ending injured reserve Wednesday due to a knee injury he suffered in Monday night's victory against the Minnesota Vikings.

Baas missed the season opener with a knee injury, returned to start in Weeks 2 and 3, injured his neck in the Week 3 loss to Carolina, missed the following three games with that injury, then returned to start Monday only to injure his knee on the opening drive. He did not return.

Baas became the second Giants starting offensive lineman to land on injured reserve this season, joining right guard Chris Snee.

"I really feel like I can't catch a break," Baas said after Monday night's game. "It's definitely frustrating."

Jim Cordle, who has filled in for Baas at center during the past month, is likely to take over as the starting center.

Baas' time with the Giants is likely finished, as he carries a cap number of $8.225 million for 2014 and $8.475 million for '15, and was likely to be cut in the offseason for financial reasons even before the injury.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9868231/david-baas-new-york-giants-placed-season-ending-ir

"I really feel like I can't catch a break," Baas said after Monday night's game. "It's definitely frustrating."

With his contract, Baas caught a few million breaks.

Frustrated?....If I were Baas, some chick would be sucking my dick right now.....there would be no frustration.

With his contract, Baas caught a few million breaks.

Frustrated?....If I were Baas, some chick would be sucking my dick right now.....there would be no frustration.

Unfortunately... it costs a few million to get your dick sucked when you look like this.

FULLMETALJACKETDAVIDBAAS.jpg?__SQUARESPA

Seriously though....too bad....if he could have stayed healthy, he would have been a good center.

Seriously though....too bad....if he could have stayed healthy, he would have been a good center.

Doubt it. The 9ers let him walk out the door and pretty much drove him to SFO.

He really isn't that bad of a center. Pretty good in my view. Just that all pro contract making him look bad. He doesn't deserve that type of money. Reese should of drafted a center instead of paying Baas. I can't remember a center coming out of the first three rounds of the draft being a total bust.

Doubt it. The 9ers let him walk out the door and pretty much drove him to SFO.

Yeah we got him in July, which told me something right there. He played one year of C and was hurt alot in San Fran. We gave him a deal like he was Mike Webster

I thought we were stuck with him...cause of he has $6.5 million of dead money next year.

Not sure of the exact numbers, but if we assume that his base salaries total 13.5 million over the next two seasons...

Giants would save the 13.5 million in base salary while incurring 6.5 in dead money, thus saving 7 million over next two years. Just sucks for 2014 having 6.5 count against a guy who's not playing for you.

Okay, because I like numbers...

Baas' numbers look like this. Keep in mind that signing bonus and miscellaneous bonuses are prorated for cap purposes, over the life of the contract. So they're the guaranteed money.

Base: 4.75

Misc. Bonus: 1.25

Sign. Bonus: 2.225

Total Cap Hit: 8.225

Base: 5.00

Misc. Bonus: 1.25

Sign. Bonus: 2.225

Total Cap Hit: 8.475

Cutting him after 2013, before June 1st, 2014:

• Accelerates the proration of bonuses all into the 14/15 year, creating dead money totaling 6.95.
  • 2014 base salary of 4.75 is saved, thereby making a 2.2 net hit to the 14/15 cap
  • 2015 base salary of 5.00 is saved, thereby making a 5.0 savings to the 15/16 cap

Cutting him after 2013, after June 1st, 2014:

• Allows the 2014 bonus to stay in 2014 and accelerates all remaining bonuses into 2015. Essentially, this spreads out the dead money, but also spreads out the cap savings.
  • 2014 base salary of 4.75 is saved, but the bonus allocation of 3.475 would remain in 14/15 - creating a cap savings of 1.275 in 14/15
  • 2015 base salary of 5.00 is saved, but because the remaining bonus allocation was not forwarded into 14/15, it remains in 15/16 - creating a cap savings of 1.525 in 15/16

If you want to look at it a little more simply, his unallocated bonuses total 6.95. His unpaid salaries total 9.75. Save 9.75, allocate 6.95, you're left with only 2.8 in savings. Those savings can be spread as -2.2 in 2014 and 5.0 in 2015 OR 1.275 in 2014 and 1.525 in 2015.

Requesting a pay cut from him would only make the dead money worse if we then cut him. Adding a year to his deal would help spread out the bonus money, but that only makes sense if you want to extend him in the first place. Furthermore, he'd be looking for additional guaranteed money if he's going to give us another year...which would defeat the purpose of our adding a year.

That covers this upcoming offseason, unless there is some sort of injury settlement...and that's for someone else to explain.