SportsWrath

A look back at 2009 draft

Nas

http://insider.espn....tory?id=4102619

Interesting... lol

New York Giants

2009 draft class

Best pick: WR Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina (first round, No. 29 overall)

Worst pick: OT William Beatty, Connecticut (second round, No. 60 overall)

Bottom line: Considering that the Giants were, for the most part, drafting near the bottom of each round, they cleaned house a little bit. They got a potential No. 2 WR in Hakeem Nicks, upgraded their pass rush with OLB Clint Sintim, and TE Travis Beckum and RB Andre Brown could develop into midround steals in time. New York took Beatty about where we projected him, but he is a finesse player who has not played to his potential, and who just doesn't seem to have the same crafty, hardworking attitude the Giants value up front.

I never really understood the Sintim pick, or the Bonar pick that year.

Whatever tho.

Nicks and Beatty is pretty nice 1&2

Bomar was like the Nassib pick this year, he was a college prospect that dropped and the Giants took a risk at developing a solid backup QB or trade value.

Sintim was another risk pick, take an college all star pass rushing outside 3-4 LB and try to convert him to a situational pass rushing DE/LB. He should of went to a team that ran the 3-4 but the Giants took the risk at trying to convert him into a 4-3 LB, not to mention the ACL tears.

The "trade value" theory for picking for a rookie QB makes no sense. There is no way the Giants will every be able to trade Nassib for even close to a 4th unless Eli goes down and Nassib steps up and wins games for us. He has to be developed as not just a back-up, but as a starting-quality QB for that to happen, AND our star QB has to get hurt. It's not a strategy at all. The only reason to draft a player is to play them.

The "trade value" theory for picking for a rookie QB makes no sense. There is no way the Giants will every be able to trade Nassib for even close to a 4th unless Eli goes down and Nassib steps up and wins games for us. He has to be developed as not just a back-up, but as a starting-quality QB for that to happen, AND our star QB has to get hurt. It's not a strategy at all. The only reason to draft a player is to play them.

True... best case scenario (for the trade value case) is we pull off a Matt Flynn type deal. Eli goes down for two games with a minor injury; Nassib steps in, wins two games. Some team looks at this and decides it's worth it to throw us a 2nd rounder for him.

Or... Giants are 15-0 going into the last game, Eli starts just to keep his streak alive... Nassib plays the rest of the game and throws 7TDs. I like that scenario better. Lol.

agreed. and we traded up for him too ugh

...and if he works out, we have a quality backup for the next few years on a 4th round contract rather than a washed up vet at nearly a mil/year. For a guy that was supposed to be drafted in an earlier round--this isn't Rhett Bomar II.

Even if he never plays in a game for us, he has value in lowering the cap hit for a position that rarely, if ever, gets used.

I really don't see a downside on taking a chance with this guy. I was as surprised at the pick as everyone else, but the thinking behind it makes a whole lot of sense.

A lot of bad legs in that draft.

It would have been much better if Brown didn't have that Achille's tendon Odyssey. (see what I did there? Would have worked better with an Illiad reference, but try to fit THAT in...) That wasted a few years off that kid's career.

A lot of bad legs in that draft.

It would have been much better if Brown didn't have that Achille's tendon Odyssey. (see what I did there? Would have worked better with an Illiad reference, but try to fit THAT in...) That wasted a few years off that kid's career.

Which is why bust tags can be a bullshit designation. If you're having injury issues then you're not a bust; it's bad luck.

...and if he works out, we have a quality backup for the next few years on a 4th round contract rather than a washed up vet at nearly a mil/year. For a guy that was supposed to be drafted in an earlier round--this isn't Rhett Bomar II.

Even if he never plays in a game for us, he has value in lowering the cap hit for a position that rarely, if ever, gets used.

I really don't see a downside on taking a chance with this guy. I was as surprised at the pick as everyone else, but the thinking behind it makes a whole lot of sense.

I actually have no problem with the pick. It was great value and, like you said, it makes sense cap-wise too, as long as he's a serviceable back-up. There's an outside chance he's a few years of development away from being Eli's successor too. Its the oft-repeated theory that we only picked him to trade to another team later, like this was a fantasy football draft, that bugs me. There's no "trade value" in an untested 4th rounder.

I actually have no problem with the pick. It was great value and, like you said, it makes sense cap-wise too, as long as he's a serviceable back-up. There's an outside chance he's a few years of development away from being Eli's successor too. Its the oft-repeated theory that we only picked him to trade to another team later, like this was a fantasy football draft, that bugs me. There's no "trade value" in an untested 4th rounder.

Wasn't singling anyone out, Tree. In fact, I'm in complete agreement with you.

I won't kid you--if we could get a trade, I wouldn't mind that either. But the value isn't just in a trade. I think that was just a meme brought on by the draft talking-heads.

i think we could've addressed other weaknesses that are more likely to impact our chances at winning a game in the 4th round

Fair enough--just don't make the linebacker argument. Our staff can not develop a LB to save their lives.

We haven't developed any LB to anything close to half-decent since Brandon Short/Dhani Jones. Maybe Blackburn.

I used to want a linebacker drafted every year--I've given up on that considering how they managed to totally botch the last group of young players they brought in.

Exactly. I never thought of him as "trade bait"... I think of him as a back up first and foremost... if he's around when Eli hangs 'em up and is good enough to start for us.. even better.