SportsWrath

Draft Grade

Virginia Giant

So what grade do you give the Giants for their selections in the draft? Grade and breakdown however you want.

Round 1: Justin Pugh OT Syracuse

Round 2: Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio State

Round 3: Domantre Moore DE Texas A&M

Round 4: Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse

Round 5: Cooper Taylor S Richmond

Round 7: Eric Herman OG Ohio

Comp: Michael Cox RB Massachusetts

I like it, I really wanted another olineman earlier, like 2 in the first 3 rounds, but we took 3 lineman in the first 3 rounds, thats pretty good. I don't mind taking a QB in round 4. Eli will write his own check and be a Giant for as long as he chooses, but it's not unheard of for a QB's play to decline when he gets into his mid 30's or to get injured. The Giants drafted a guy many thought was a first round talent, maybe they didn't go into the draft expecting to draft a qb but when those guys were sitting there on day 3 maybe they coldn't pass it up.

Anyway I give the draft a B+. I like the QB pick more and more as time goes on, and I made a comment wondering if the Giants would take a QB in round 4, and Nassib was who I had in mind. I really wanted the Giants to use this draft to shore up the offe nsive line for Eli for the next several years and while they drafted 2 olineman and 1 in the first, I think they could have done more. They got a replacement for Osi and maybe they will finally hit on a DT.

Round 1: Justin Pugh OT Syracuse (B+) If taken in the 2nd round, would be A+, but in reality, he would never have been there the next time we came up to pick.

Round 2: Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio State (B+) Should go a long way to helping stop the run

Round 3: Domantre Moore DE Texas A&M (A-) Would be an A+ if not for the character worries and at this stage of the game, a steal IMO

Round 4: Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse (A+) There is no way on earth the Giants should have been able to get him in the 4th and it adds insurance to a team that has spent a long time living on the edge without an adequate backup QB - history might prove this to be the steal of the 2013 draft

Round 5: Cooper Taylor S Richmond (A) I give this an "A" because this is a steal at this point in the draft and I think he's going to become a fan favorite in time

Round 7: Eric Herman OG Ohio (A) Getting a bulldozer OG in round 7 is another steal - I love this pick at this stage of the game

Comp: Michael Cox RB Massachusetts (D) there were better players we could have gone for and we don't really need a running back that is slower than the guys we already have. Who knows, maybe he's a short yardage wonder, but I doubt it.

Overall I give the team somewhere between a B+ and an A-

I give Rd 1 a B.

Rd 2 a C.

Rd 3 a B+

Rd 4 a D+ - Was going to be a C, but they also gave up their 6th Rd for this pick, so I downgraded slightly.

Rd 5 an A

Rd 7 a B+ - Good to take a chance on an interior linemen with that much upside here, but the RB will likely be camp fodder.

Overall, I give this draft a C.

In reality, everybody has an incomplete right now.

Round One: B+

Round Two:B+

Round Three:B-

Round Four:D

Round Five:B-

Round Seven:C

Overall B-

I am with, VG, thought more olineman, Barrett Jones would of been better in the 4th, I would of like Okafor instead of Moore, overall OK

I give Rd 1 a B.

Rd 2 a C.

Rd 3 a B+

Rd 4 a D+ - Was going to be a C, but they also gave up their 6th Rd for this pick, so I downgraded slightly.

Rd 5 an A

Rd 7 a B+ - Good to take a chance on an interior linemen with that much upside here, but the RB will likely be camp fodder.

Overall, I give this draft a C.

In reality, everybody has an incomplete right now.

I agree with Jim's overall "C" grade, and largely agree with his analysis. A few comments and tweaks of my own below.

Round 1 (B) was a solid pick; Pugh's versatility is a major plus on a line that might need help at various spots throughout the season. Pugh will eventually anchor the RT spot, but I could see him being plugged in anywhere this season depending on who struggles or gets injured.

Round 2 © was just OK, given how much the Giants have worked to add DT prior to the draft. I don't think a 2 down, situational (short yardage) DT is worth a 2nd round pick. And his struggles to maintain weight and penchant for taking plays off makes me worried this is another Marvin Austin type of personality. I'm very much in the "show me" stage with this kid.

Round 3 (B) this is a good pass rusher, and has experience as a linebacker. I see Fewell using him in a rotation to spell JPP and Tuck, and also as a stand up edge rushing OLB when Fewell wants to bring 5.

Round 4 (D) gave up an extra pick to select a backup for a position (QB) that is years away from being a need, at the expense of addressing a position (linebacker) that was considered priority 1A or 1B depending on your perspective. Given Eli's age, durability, and performance, this wasn't close to being a need for the Giants. On the flip side, Nassib looks like he could be the long term successor to Eli Manning. But again, if Eli is anything like his older brother, that's 5 to 7 years down the road, and Nassib is likely gone by then. Anyway, he's a Giant now, so I hope he quickly develops into a terrific QB that gives the Giants depth, security, and trade leverage down the road.

Round 5 (B) good pick, with alot of upside, and can easily see him converting to linebacker or being used in the box in Fewell's 4-2-5 alignments. The heart condition is a serious concern, and drops his grade.

Round 6 (see round 4).

Round 7 (B-) Most likely will not make the team.

Overall, a "C" as Jim notes. The Giants went into this draft with major needs at OL and LB. They walked away with some good talent, but neglected to address the weakest link in a 31st ranked defense. I can't give them anything higher than a "C" based on that, regardless of the BPA talk.

Round One: B+

Round Two:B+

Round Three:B-

Round Four:D

Round Five:B-

Round Seven:C

Overall B-

I am with, VG, thought more olineman, Barrett Jones would of been better in the 4th, I would of like Okafor instead of Moore, overall OK

I was really big on Barrett Jones too and I do believe he is a good pickup. But then I got to wondering how much it helped him as an offensive lineman to be sharing the same front line with Chance Warmack and DJ Fluker on each side of him. Gotta wonder if he would have gotten as much hype if he wasn't playing alongside two guys who went no. 10 and no. 11 overall in this year's draft. Most teams are lucky to have one offensive lineman get drafted in the first round (or even drafted at all), let alone have two guys on the line get drafted in the front half of the first round. Barrett's stock might not have been helped out so much if he was the only blue chip on the line rather than having the luxury to two of the best in the country on both sides of him. Time will tell I guess.

I never pretended to know much about college players.

But I like the positions selected, I like how Pugh and Hankins look on their highlights (short arms or not, Pugh puts himself in the right position to make his block and Hankins looks like a monster); and if Nassib can allow us to jettison Carr and Painter during camp, that will save us well over 300,000 on the cap RIGHT NOW on a position that we might not actually use all season.

This draft didn't really do much for me LB-wise, and I'm a linebacker guy. I don't think our LB coach can develop a player to save his life, so if we have to bring in free agents, so be it. None of the 1st rounders at LB really screamed "draft him!" to me, and I wouldn't pin my hopes on a 4th rounder.

This was kind of a "meh" draft class, apparently, but a lot of linemen might turn out decent. I have no problem with the strategy I saw from the Giants, so let's keep our fingers crossed on the execution. One or two starters from this group would be a real success from this draft.

There wasn't a game changing linebacker available to us after Jarvis Jones was taken off the board. And Ogletree was too high a risk to burn a first on and after T'eo's horrible combine, he wouldn't have beaten out Connors or Herzlich.

No matter who we picked up in the draft, they would never have beaten out the two aforementioned middle linebackers and they wouldn't have beaten Rivers, or Paysinger, or Williams and probably not even Muasau. And lest I forget, Kiwi plays an above average LB who might very well end up back there.

You guys act as if there was a Lawrence Taylor type LB available to us at every round. There wasn't a single linebacker available that would have made a hill of beans worth of a difference in the grand scheme of things. This was a very poor year for linebackers when the best of the bunch are T'eo with the speed of an offensive lineman, and a crack head nut job whose really a fast runner, but can't tackle for shit, etc. Greene was a decent pickup in the 4th or 5th round and he would have been ideal to play behind Rivers and Paysinger for 2 plays a week (or less).

If we had drafted a linebacker in every single round, we'd have a few fans that are really, really happy and probably ecstatic....but a whole bunch of us that moan in despair.

You guys have to let it go. You act as if this draft was loaded with a group of once in a lifetime linebackers and it simply was not the case. The Giants staff is not made up of morons incapable of knowing our needs or seeing what's available.....but damn, they are far better than a bunch of arm chair fans who think that Sean Porter or Gerald Hodges is going to turn the entire defense around and put us on the path of another Super Bowl. This was just a very sucky year for linebackers and certainly not linebackers that would replace anyone on our current roster.

edit: Not to mention, we've gone to using 3 safety sets in a lot of cases and hell, in the grand scheme of things, we might have gotten the best linebacker in the entire draft if Cooper Taylor pans out. Cheer up guys!

but heres some grades from the people who do it for a living:

New York Giants

They took G/T Justin Pugh higher than I expected him to go, though he might pan out to be worthy of that spot. DT Johnathan Hankins and DE Damontre Moore both were typical Giants picks and should pitch in on defense. The trade up for QB Ryan Nassib was a classic Giants value pick, too — though, if Eli Manning sticks around for a few years, Nassib will either sit on the sideline or be traded. Lots of upside here. We’ll have to see how much immediate impact the Giants get. Grade: B

http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/28/2013-nfl-draft-grades-jaguars-49ers-rams-top-the-class/

Grade: B

New York Giants: With GM Jerry Reese, the Giants tend to draft for beyond the current year, but they ended up with three strong, athletic linemen who can make an immediate impact. Offensively, Syracuse first-rounder Justin Pugh is too smooth not to win a job at guard or tackle in '13. Defensively, they got a needed run-stuffing tackle (Ohio State's Johnathan Hankins) and pass-rushing end to help replace Osi Umenyiora (Texas A&M's Damontre Moore). Also watch out for Richmond's Cooper Taylor, a big linebacker-like safety with the speed to develop into a big playmaker.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-04-27/nfl-draft-2013-grades-team-by-team-analysis-report-card-steelers-eagles

New York Giants

19. Justin Pugh, guard/tackle, Syracuse.

49. Johnathan Hankins, defensive tackle, Ohio State.

81. Damontre Moore, defensive end, Texas A&M.

110. Ryan Nassib, quarterback, Syracuse.

152. Cooper Taylor, safety, Richmond.

224. Eric Herman, guard, Ohio.

253. Michael Cox, running back, UMass.

Overview: Much like Ted Thompson in Green Bay and Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore, Giants GM Jerry Reese is a best-available drafter. If he'd have selected his first three players in January and you didn't know the rounds, you would've figured he traded up for three first-round picks. Each player has a flaw -- short arms for Pugh, motor for Hankins, and translatable production for Moore -- but they're all great football players. Moore dominated in the SEC; 8.0 of his 12.5 sacks last year came versus conference opponents. Pugh permitted a half-sack of Nassib and otherwise didn't allow a single hurry. Hankins offers elite potential as a 4-3 nose guard. Nassib was a sheer value pick, while Taylor, Herman, and to a lesser extent Cox offer versatile, "multiple" skill sets and plus measurables. This draft gives the G-Men a needed infusion of young talent, even if only Pugh and perhaps Hankins are surefire first-season contributors.

Grade: B

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/43159/174/draft-2013-nfc-draft-grades?pg=2

New York Giants: C+

They get a C for needs and a B for value, with Mel downgrading them for failing to address cornerback or linebacker.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/76574/mel-kiper-jr-s-draft-grades-nfc-east

Round 1: B+. Only because we could have maybe traded down a few picks.. but who knows maybe there were no takers. Everything I've read about the guy is positive and his football IQ is impressive.

Round 2: A. Huge man to anchor the middle. The guys we currently have are not the long term solution.. this guy is. I don't see him have a weight "problem"... at that position the fatter the better. Sorry Joe.

Round 3: B+. Only because the kid is still growing.. physically. He's massive yet still considered undersized for his frame. A few months in the weight room and I can see him outplaying JPP at some point.. just not right away.

Round 4: A. Who are we kidding? Carr sucks. We've been lucky.. knock on wood Eli has been rubbery... no guarantees that luck continues. We can go many directions with this guy... an outright back up, an eventual replacement for Eli... or trade value.

Round 5: B. Very "different" size for a safety but his freakish speed makes him very appealing. I gave a B because I didn't want to sound like a homer...

Round 7: C. You really can't give grades from here.. it's a crap-shoot. The guy is massive.. let's see if he's coachable.

Round 7: C. I wonder if we were able or were even looking to sign one of those stud kickers as RFA. I think we're pretty set at RB.. who knows.

Overall I give this draft a B+.. only because we failed to address the MLB position .. of course there wasn't really anyone worth picking every LB had noticeable flaws.

I do not agree we needed to address the CB position.. it's not an immediate need for us... Web, Prince, Hosely (sp), Ross, T2, forgot the 6th atm.

Round 1: B+. Only because we could have maybe traded down a few picks.. but who knows maybe there were no takers. Everything I've read about the guy is positive and his football IQ is impressive.

Round 2: A. Huge man to anchor the middle. The guys we currently have are not the long term solution.. this guy is. I don't see him have a weight "problem"... at that position the fatter the better. Sorry Joe.

Round 3: B+. Only because the kid is still growing.. physically. He's massive yet still considered undersized for his frame. A few months in the weight room and I can see him outplaying JPP at some point.. just not right away.

Round 4: A. Who are we kidding? Carr sucks. We've been lucky.. knock on wood Eli has been rubbery... no guarantees that luck continues. We can go many directions with this guy... an outright back up, an eventual replacement for Eli... or trade value.

Round 5: B. Very "different" size for a safety but his freakish speed makes him very appealing. I gave a B because I didn't want to sound like a homer...

Round 7: C. You really can't give grades from here.. it's a crap-shoot. The guy is massive.. let's see if he's coachable.

Round 7: C. I wonder if we were able or were even looking to sign one of those stud kickers as RFA. I think we're pretty set at RB.. who knows.

Naz...I told you in a different thread, the Giants got a kicker...they signed Lauren Silbermans !!

Here's a video of her highlites:

There wasn't a game changing linebacker available to us after Jarvis Jones was taken off the board. And Ogletree was too high a risk to burn a first on and after T'eo's horrible combine, he wouldn't have beaten out Connors or Herzlich.

No matter who we picked up in the draft, they would never have beaten out the two aforementioned middle linebackers and they wouldn't have beaten Rivers, or Paysinger, or Williams and probably not even Muasau. And lest I forget, Kiwi plays an above average LB who might very well end up back there.

You guys act as if there was a Lawrence Taylor type LB available to us at every round. There wasn't a single linebacker available that would have made a hill of beans worth of a difference in the grand scheme of things. This was a very poor year for linebackers when the best of the bunch are T'eo with the speed of an offensive lineman, and a crack head nut job whose really a fast runner, but can't tackle for shit, etc. Greene was a decent pickup in the 4th or 5th round and he would have been ideal to play behind Rivers and Paysinger for 2 plays a week (or less).

If we had drafted a linebacker in every single round, we'd have a few fans that are really, really happy and probably ecstatic....but a whole bunch of us that moan in despair.

You guys have to let it go. You act as if this draft was loaded with a group of once in a lifetime linebackers and it simply was not the case. The Giants staff is not made up of morons incapable of knowing our needs or seeing what's available.....but damn, they are far better than a bunch of arm chair fans who think that Sean Porter or Gerald Hodges is going to turn the entire defense around and put us on the path of another Super Bowl. This was just a very sucky year for linebackers and certainly not linebackers that would replace anyone on our current roster.

edit: Not to mention, we've gone to using 3 safety sets in a lot of cases and hell, in the grand scheme of things, we might have gotten the best linebacker in the entire draft if Cooper Taylor pans out. Cheer up guys!

This

Fwiw. My opinions on Giants rookies are worth a ton. I always predict which players will do good usually.

I'm not ready to make any bold statements but I will say , I love this draft.

Well I like 4 picks, so it's a B

But it can change

Love Pugh, Hankins, Taylor and Monroe, as well as some UDFA sogningings like WR Marcus Davus.

I'll evaluate more soon. And make statements

For those who insist on saying you can't grade the draft until so and so many years have passed....well duh. I'm asking you to grade on what you can. The positions drafted, the players based on college play and hype, etc, etc.

I grade you a big F for berating me :LMAO:

Kidding aside, there's a lot to like in this draft, but also some not to like.

Pugh will be a decent player, but was a reach at 19.

The Hankins pick at 49 was fantastic, I really like him.

Moore at 81 is a great value pick. Somewhat of a boom or bust player, but at 81, the risk is absolutely worth it.

The move for Nassib has me scratching my head, but I'm ok with it as it's only a fourth rounder.

Taylor, Herman, and Cox are intriguing prospects, and I think they will all find a way to make the roster and contribute in some way.

Overall, I give the giants a B. They had a good, solid draft.

Pugh- I've heard it was a bit of a reach but as someone alluded to earlier he wouldn't have been there for us in the second and if the Giants feel that strongly about him then taking the guy you want is the right move. Fills a big need too. Certainly not a "wow" pick but if he ends up being a starter at Guard or Right Tackle for the next 5-7 years I'll be pretty damn happy.

Hankins- It's time to stop getting bitched out against the run and this pick give us a big body that can take on blocks. I figure as a rookie he can rotate in and learn from the veterans we have. Very happy with the defensive tackle position going into the season.

Moore- The value was definitely there but a lot of what I read indicated he has a lot of work to do to become an effective NFL pass rusher. However, he was a highly productive player last year in the SEC and that can't be ignored. Can't complain as I always like defensive picks but I'm thinking he's a project at this point more than an immediate contributor on defense.

Nassib- I absolutely hated this pick when I first saw it but I've calmed down since then. It's obviously great value in terms of where Nassib was supposed to go and if a nightmare scenario were to happen with Eli getting hurt and missing time, we might have a punchers chance with a young quarterback that has ability. I don't follow college football like some of you so I can't say I had a player in mind but something on the defensive side is what I was expecting and hoping for.

Cooper- Love the size/speed combination and think he could be a pretty versatile player and a special teams contributor immediately. The heart condition is a big concern but a great athlete at this point in the draft you really have nothing to lose and can't go wrong.

Herman- Big guard from an established college program. Good pick

Cox- Whatever.

I think it was a solid draft. Nothing really stood out but they replenished some much needed depth and possible starters down the road on the lines which I thought was critical coming in. We lost the line of scrimmage far too often last season and with many of our core guys on both lines getting old it's time for a youth movement. Add in an upside pick with Cooper I'm pretty satisfied.

For those who insist on saying you can't grade the draft until so and so many years have passed....well duh. I'm asking you to grade on what you can. The positions drafted, the players based on college play and hype, etc, etc.

'Zackly :TU:

And Bleedin, it's not "you guys"... it's just Joe. I think we're all in agreement there was no LB worth a damn that we could have picked... I'm ecstatic with who we picked... The homer in me thinks the first 6 picks can contribute right away... even that 7th would be on special teams.