SportsWrath

Possible Cruz News

Lughead

NEW YORK GIANTS

49ers are working on an offer for restricted free-agent Victor Cruz

By Kenneth Dorsey

April 1, 2013 at 9:08am

cruz.pngWide receiver Victor Cruz was signed by the New York Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2010.

NEW YORK - According to a league source, the San Francisco 49ers are gearing up to make an offer to New York Giants restricted free-agent wide receiver Victor Cruz within the next few days. The 49ers could not be reached for a comment and Cruz's agent, Tom Condon, would not comment on the situation.

The San Francisco 49ers are only $4.5 million under the 2013 salary cap and multiple moves would be needed in order to fit Cruz under the cap. The league source stated that the 49ers are working with at least three of their players to restructure contracts and gain more salary cap space to sign Cruz and their upcoming picks in the NFL Draft.

The 49ers would likely need to offer Cruz a deal that averages well over $8 million a year and has a large amount of guaranteed money. The Giants would then have an opportunity to match the offer, which they likely would not do. A failure to match would send Cruz to San Francisco and give the Giants the 49ers' 2013 first-round pick, which is the 31st overall.

The 49ers would still have 13 picks in the NFL Draft, which is enough to possibly move back into the first-round via a trade.

Cruz's agent and the Giants have been unable to agree on a long-term deal. According to the New York Daily News, Cruz has already been offered a long-term deal by the Giants worth more than $7 million a year with significant guaranteed money.

Earlier this month, Giants teammate David Wilson was very vocal about keeping Cruz on the roster. "I think he's a key player," said Wilson. "If I was in charge, I would have gave him a contract to make sure he don't go nowhere." Giants quarterback Eli Manning has said that he is even willing to rework his contract to keep Cruz on the team.

Cruz holds the franchise's single-season receiving record and has until April 19 to sign an offer sheet with another team. Once April 19 passes, Cruz's options for 2013 are to sign a new long-term contract with a team or play for the $2.879 million tender offered by the Giants and then become an unrestricted free agent in 2014. If he chooses the latter, the Giants could use the franchise tag on him next year.

If the 49ers can pull off signing Cruz, he would join Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin, who the 49ers acquired via a trade with the Baltimore Ravens in March. The loss of Cruz would leave the Giants possibly searching for a replacement in the NFL Draft.

Earlier this month, it was reported that the St. Louis Rams, who have two first-round picks, were interested in Cruz. That ended when the team felt that the price to acquire Cruz might be too high.

April Fools joke, I assume...

It has to be.. the math doesn't work. The 9ers can NOT afford Crabtree, Boldin and Cruz, oh and Mario Manningham... not if they want good players in other positions.

Relax guys these are just negotiating tactics...no team is going to offer him substantially more because you would be consigning that team to also ran status for the next 4-5 years because they won't be able to pay the team around him. But be that as it may...Cruz would be a fool to sign early...the Giants leaked this to put pressure on him to sign. He has up to April 19th to sign and I bet he uses every minute of that delay to see if another team gives him more guaranteed money. Its the way things work guys...The Giants rightly treat it as a business...the lawyers/agents collect their fees...the player is selling the only commodity he has...himself...we fans love the Giants...but we are not employed by them...a fan's logic/perspective is far removed from the world these guys live in. Cruz has to tickle the tail of the dragon without rousing it fully from its torpor...if he rouses the dragon (e.g. Giants organization) then say hello to One Year Tender and possible injury ...thus ruining chance of being set for life. Its a balancing act. He will be signed for multiple years and the contract will be pretty much the same as the one leaked with an added incentive or two...

Relax guys these are just negotiating tactics...no team is going to offer him substantially more because you would be consigning that team to also ran status for the next 4-5 years because they won't be able to pay the team around him. But be that as it may...Cruz would be a fool to sign early...the Giants leaked this to put pressure on him to sign. He has up to April 19th to sign and I bet he uses every minute of that delay to see if another team gives him more guaranteed money. Its the way things work guys...The Giants rightly treat it as a business...the lawyers/agents collect their fees...the player is selling the only commodity he has...himself...we fans love the Giants...but we are not employed by them...a fan's logic/perspective is far removed from the world these guys live in. Cruz has to tickle the tail of the dragon without rousing it fully from its torpor...if he rouses the dragon (e.g. Giants organization) then say hello to One Year Tender and possible injury ...thus ruining chance of being set for life. Its a balancing act. He will be signed for multiple years and the contract will be pretty much the same as the one leaked with an added incentive or two...

Hard to say though as players many times are of the two in the bush mentality. Didn't the Giants offer Smith a long term contract; also and look at Welker and the Patriots?

Just read this and if true Cruz needs to lay down while he's dreaming.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000157175/article/victor-cruz-reportedly-seeking-1011-million-annually-from-giants

Rap artist and entrepreneur Jay-Z's new sports agency will have their work cut out for them when they land New York Giants restricted free agent Victor Cruz. Two NFL sources familiar with Cruz's plans told the New York Daily News that the wide receiver is indeed expected to be represented by Hova's Roc Nation.

The Giants reportedly have extended an offer to Cruz worth $7 million annually with more than $20 million in guarantees.

Roc Nation will have to bridge a sizeable gap, as Cruz expects a much bigger pay day. The Daily News reported Wednesday that Cruz's last request under former agent Tom Condon was closer to the $10 million to $11 million range per year.

Cruz wants to be paid the going rate for a No. 1 receiver entering his prime while the Giants are offering elite slot-receiver money.

With Hakeem Nicks also in the market for a new contract, the Giants are faced with quite the conundrum at wide receiver. Although Cruz has a significant edge in reliability and consistency the past two years, Nicks is viewed by the team's brass as a more legitimate No. 1 receiver.

No matter which of the two gets paid first, the Giants likely will join the Seattle Seahawks as the only franchises with two receivers earning more than $8 million per season.

No matter which of the two gets paid first, the Giants likely will join the Seattle Seahawks as the only franchises with two receivers earning more than $8 million per season.

And this is why, for me, he can walk. There is a reason teams don't do this. We are in the salary cap era. And another thing, Seattle is the only team currently doing this, and they DON'T have a QB with a mega-deal. Russell Wilson is going to make $2.1 million dollars.... IN THE NEXT THREE SEASONS COMBINED (under his current deal). Eli Manning will make that in the first 4 games or so of this upcoming season, as Eli is making $13 million this season. Also, the Giants guaranteed $35 million in Eli's deal, and that was a 7 year deal.

Whether Eli is willing to re-structure or not, there are salary constraints, and we have to work a lot of contracts to fit under that cap. In a couple of seasons, JPP is going to take a healthy portion of that, and it's very important he stays a Giant. And Hakeem Nicks is the most important receiver on this team, and he needs to get at least what they are offering Cruz.

Cruz can go get paid like he wants for another team. Tell Steve Smith we said hi. Go see how life is playing with Jay Cutler. Or go see how life is playing with Christian Ponder, or Josh Freeman.

Honestly, he is probably going to sign his tender and walk next year. And I won't care one bit. I actually think NOT paying him is the better long term strategy.

Picture Cruze if he had landed in Cincinatti or just about anywhere other then NYC on the Superbowl champion team... that stupid Salsa Dance would have gone no where... no Chunky soup ads that is sure!

He has to play the contract game... but going anywhere but NYC is foolish for him, especially in terms of celebrity. I guess he could always go to the Jets and have AssFumble or Godboy as his QB

I blame McNabb. :laugh:

And this is why, for me, he can walk. There is a reason teams don't do this. We are in the salary cap era. And another thing, Seattle is the only team currently doing this, and they DON'T have a QB with a mega-deal. Russell Wilson is going to make $2.1 million dollars.... IN THE NEXT THREE SEASONS COMBINED (under his current deal). Eli Manning will make that in the first 4 games or so of this upcoming season, as Eli is making $13 million this season. Also, the Giants guaranteed $35 million in Eli's deal, and that was a 7 year deal.

Whether Eli is willing to re-structure or not, there are salary constraints, and we have to work a lot of contracts to fit under that cap. In a couple of seasons, JPP is going to take a healthy portion of that, and it's very important he stays a Giant. And Hakeem Nicks is the most important receiver on this team, and he needs to get at least what they are offering Cruz.

Cruz can go get paid like he wants for another team. Tell Steve Smith we said high. Go see how life is playing with Jay Cutler. Or go see how life is playing with Christian Ponder, or Josh Freeman.

Honestly, he is probably going to sign his tender and walk next year. And I won't care one bit. I actually think NOT paying him is the better long term strategy.

As always, well said. I love you, Cruz... stop fucking around!!!

• 3 weeks later...