SportsWrath

David Wilson - Everything but the Running

CrazedDogs

Found this while I was supposed to be working....

http://bigbluegoose....off-field-early

I've been concerned about his pass protection deficiencies preventing him from getting on the field, so here's a video with three games worth of pass play snaps.

The one thing that really leaped out at me, just as in the Wilson running play videos, is how unbelievably awful the Virginia Tech offensive line was. It was routine for them to allow two or more rushers into the backfield, leaving Wilson in an impossible situation. I think that makes it a little harder to evaluate him, he won't see rushers turned loose like that at the NFL level.

The only real flaw I saw is that Wilson tends to lunge into his blocks; he gets a body on a body, but his feet aren't under him, he's reaching, he drops his head. He runs with tremendous leverage and instincts, never shying from contact, but it just doesn't translate to his pass blocking. He's going to have to woodshed the technique to develop the kind of leverage it takes to keep an NFL player from running through him.

In terms of receiving, we have nothing to worry about. He catches with his hands, he seems to have a good sense of how to run routes, and he's demonstrated an ability and willingness to get down field over the middle. IMO, Wilson has the potential to be the best receiving RB in the NFL, possibly the best since Marshall Faulk.

I really can't say enough about how much I like Wilson. Down 38-10 in the waning minutes against Clemson, you'll see him on this video still running hard after the catch and then getting way downfield to prevent a would-be pick-6 from going the distance. He has the kind of attitude that exemplifies what the New York Giants are all about.

He will carry on the tradition of our first round offensive players getting hurt in training camp and be out the year with a lingering ham string injury.

Next season though, expect the pro-bowl.

Haven't been this excited for a RB since old Tiki bear got his fumbling problem worked out thanks to Coughlin.

He will carry on the tradition of our first round offensive players getting hurt in training camp and be out the year with a lingering ham string injury.

Next season though, expect the pro-bowl.

Haven't been this excited for a RB since old Tiki bear got his fumbling problem worked out thanks to Coughlin.

He's such a great fit for what the Giants offense has been missing.

Except for pass blocking. We've had a pretty decent run there from Tiki to Jacobs and Bradshaw. (although Jacobs occasionally had a disturbing lapse.)

The knock on Wilson from draft day was pass blocking and ball handling. The speed, quickness, receiving, and all else RB didn't ever seem to be an issue.

Read an article on Giants101.com that pretty much spelled it out. IF Wilson can eliminate the fumbling and get pass protection down, it easily places him as the #2 RB on this team. Otherwise, he won't see the field much, barring injury, given that Bradshaw and Ware will both be ahead of him on the depth chart.

He's such a great fit for what the Giants offense has been missing.

Except for pass blocking. We've had a pretty decent run there from Tiki to Jacobs and Bradshaw. (although Jacobs occasionally had a disturbing lapse.)

This is true... but none of those guys came to us as good pass-blockers out of college. They were all coached up to become the blockers they did.

Wilson seems like a good kid with a nice worth ethic. The Giants will get him up to speed on his blocking. It won't happen overnight, but by game 10 I think he'll be solid in that area.

This is true... but none of those guys came to us as good pass-blockers out of college. They were all coached up to become the blockers they did.

Wilson seems like a good kid with a nice worth ethic. The Giants will get him up to speed on his blocking. It won't happen overnight, but by game 10 I think he'll be solid in that area.

Agreed. Wilson will surpass Ware by season's end on the depth chart and may actually see more plays than Ware in the running game even early on. But obvious passing plays I think early on, will belong to Ware/Bradshaw. But until Wilson proves ball security and pass protection...I don't see him as our #2. Here's hoping that he's proven and learned by game 6...game 10 might be a bit long if the kid's as active a learner as he has been deemed

The knock on Wilson from draft day was pass blocking and ball handling. The speed, quickness, receiving, and all else RB didn't ever seem to be an issue.

Read an article on Giants101.com that pretty much spelled it out. IF Wilson can eliminate the fumbling and get pass protection down, it easily places him as the #2 RB on this team. Otherwise, he won't see the field much, barring injury, given that Bradshaw and Ware will both be ahead of him on the depth chart.

Which is just fine with me.... Wilson has all the stuff that you can't teach.

I was encouraged that he didn't look lost out there, he was usually in position, Ingram just has to take him behind the woodshed on his blocking technique.

best receiver since marshall faulk? that's really really lofty. i mean tomlinson had 100 catches in a season once

I know, I was really going out on a limb there. Thats not normally my style, but I've got a feeling Wilson could be right up there as a receiver. Of course, if his blocking doesn't improve we'll never get to find out.

But I did forget how good Tomlinson was his first several years. That guy was a beast.

I honestly doubt you'll even see Danny Ware on this team. It will be, and should be, Bradshaw, Wilson, Scott. Your three most talented and explosive running backs. There's absolutely no reason not to cut Ware, he's terrible.

I honestly doubt you'll even see Danny Ware on this team. It will be, and should be, Bradshaw, Wilson, Scott. Your three most talented and explosive running backs. There's absolutely no reason not to cut Ware, he's terrible.

Because Ware is a guy you can trust with the football and trust to get a key block. Behind Bradshaw, there isn't that trust. And yes, he has all the excitement of drying paint.

Because Ware is a guy you can trust with the football and trust to get a key block. Behind Bradshaw, there isn't that trust. And yes, he has all the excitement of drying paint.

He really does...no explosiveness whatsoever. I'd personally rather have Ahmad in there blocking, though....but he's.....delicate

I think I'd rather give Wilson and Scott the experience. Ware's a dead end, the absolute best he'll ever be is a net negative on the field.

I get that protecting Eli is the first priority, but we can scheme around it....If that means keeping 7 or 8 home to block while one of them is in the game, so be it. Giving those guys the reps is a long term play... might drop a game extra in the early going, but I'm thinking about January.

I think I'd rather give Wilson and Scott the experience. Ware's a dead end, the absolute best he'll ever be is a net negative on the field.

I get that protecting Eli is the first priority, but we can scheme around it....If that means keeping 7 or 8 home to block while one of them is in the game, so be it. Giving those guys the reps is a long term play... might drop a game extra in the early going, but I'm thinking about January.

I'd really like to see the Giants start to utilize the short passing game and hitting RBs out of the backfield

best receiver since marshall faulk? that's really really lofty. i mean tomlinson had 100 catches in a season once

Call me a homer.. but I really have a good feeling about this kid...

I see what you're saying but you really can't argue with success... no matter how nail biting it may be. I think we tend to not appreciate Ware... maybe he deserves credit...

I see what you're saying but you really can't argue with success... no matter how nail biting it may be. I think we tend to not appreciate Ware... maybe he deserves credit...

Maybe... but it reached the point where every time he was in the huddle I was yelling at the TV, 'get that guy off the field!' Defenses didn't respect him either.... ironically, their lack of respect got him some positive yards towards the end of the season, I think on a couple of those draw plays the D was in shock that Ware got the ball.

I could live with Ware out there if the Giants had the offensive line they had back in '06-'08. I don't think they're going to open up those kinds of holes though, the Giants are going to need someone who can make a move and get yards on his own.