SportsWrath

From ESPN - Nick's might be back in action in 4 - 6 weeks!

BleedinBlue

If this is true, this is truly great news.

From ProFootballTalk.com (http://profootballta...ks-has-surgery/ )

Amid conflicting reports of his absence, Nicks has surgery

Posted by Mike Florio on May 26, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT

The bad news for Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks is that his foot is still broken. The good news is that he may be back sooner than the team has acknowledged.

The better news is that he already has had the injury repaired. Per multiple reports, Nicks underwent successful (is there another kind?) surgery on Friday to have a screw inserted into his fifth metatarsal.

Pegged as a 12-week injury, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Nicks could recover in four-to-six weeks. If so, Nicks could be available for training camp and the preseason.

In his absence, Victor Cruz becomes the top receiver on the roster — and rookie Rueben Randle will have plenty of opportunities to prove himself.

For goodness sake, don't rush him back to action. Let it heal.

I too feel the same way but I do trust the organization knows that already. I didn't think his injury needed 12 weeks to begin with.. no worries.

I too feel the same way but I do trust the organization knows that already. I didn't think his injury needed 12 weeks to begin with.. no worries.

yeah, to be honest, I saw other players listed with similar injuries being listed out for 4-6. I was kind of wondering why Nicks prognosis was so much worse. I had figured it was the difference between getting the surgery and letting it just heal (seems as if it typically takes the body a little longer to come back from screws inserted than it would if you just let it heal, I would think)

Right. But for a guy who has yet to play a full season, and who suffered an offseason injury and surgery, I see no reason to get him back ASAP for preseason games.

This. I was hoping he'd be back in just enough time to get his conditioning ready for the regular season. Getting back any earlier than that just needlessly (IMO) exposes him to further injury.

Found this interesting comment by one of their sports writers (Ian Rapoport) on NFL.com:

"The Giants suffered a serious blow earlier in the week when WR Hakeem Nicks broke a bone in his foot. He could be out for 12 weeks, and he may not start the season on time. Forgive me if I barely shrug. And it’s not just because they happened to draft NFL-ready WR Rueben Randle in the second round after assigning him a first-round grade. It’s because after last year, when injuries threatened to ruin the Giants, I have a hard time getting worked up about anything like that. Not only did they survive their injuries and defections from free agency, they thrived. They proved themselves as a team that will simply carry on, injuries or not. That’s how strong coach Tom Coughlin’s support system is. So, ho hum, another injury. Whatever. They’ll be fine".

Personally, this whole thing with Nicks could be a blessing in disguise because it gives the other players trying to become the fourth WR to get more plays and to spend more time working with Eli. Nicks will pick up where he left off when he gets back on the field and won't miss a beat. I hope they give him more time than necessary to heal properly as the youngsters see more action.

They won't rush him. The Giants aren't the Mets. Agreed Blue on the injury giving extra reps for Randle and the players competing for the #4 spot etc. I wouldn't call it a "blessing" per say but it certainly could provide more opportunity for a few guys.

I've had a small fracture on my food from a motorcycle accident. It's not as painful but does limit you a bit. I hope he don't rush himself back so soon. I'm sure there are other ways of keep his leg strong without using his feet. Like strap something on his ankle on the bike and peddle without putting pressure on the foot.

I've had a small fracture on my food from a motorcycle accident. It's not as painful but does limit you a bit. I hope he don't rush himself back so soon. I'm sure there are other ways of keep his leg strong without using his feet. Like strap something on his ankle on the bike and peddle without putting pressure on the foot.

Food fractures don't count buddy :P

I don't imagine the fracture would have too much of an impact on straight ahead speed, but cutting off of it would hurt like a mofo. Or, having it stepped on.

I'm all for them taking it easy with him, but getting Nicks some time with Eli so as not to regress this offseason with their chemistry would be nice. Get Nicks ready for a number of reps during training camp, then sit him through the preseason, except maybe a drive or two. He's far too valuable to our offense to lose for extended parts of the season because we rushed him back to full partcipation too early.