SportsWrath

Welcome David Wilson.

BlueInCanada

Ask Eli what he REALLY thinks of his offensive line....especially after that San Francisco game. Some of you guys are acting like there isn't a problem there when there is. Beatty hasn't proved himself at LT yet. McKenzie is gone. Snee had his worst year as a pro last year, Baas was in and out of the lineup, and how much longer can Diehl really hold it together???

And shame on the giants front office for relying on Eli's toughness to get him through games. Eventually it will catch up to him and Reese and company will be the ones responsible for not protecting the best QB this franchise ever had.....

LIke has been said 42 times. Any lineman we picked 32nd wasn't going to be a magical fix for the imagined offensive line problems. SF has a great defense and we threw just as much pressure on them. Bass and Snee were banged up all year. Beatty was playing great before he went down. We have lots of depth/ And we won the Super Bowl and the offensive line played well. I love the chicken littles about the offensive line. It's quite funny.

I'll take a player that will actually help us repeat instead of sitting on the bench. We develop later round talent for the offensive line.

We can't ignore our OL issues or they'll come back to bite us. Not even just for 2012, but beyond as well.

As of the past two years - Beatty has played only a total of 18 games, starting only 12. I believe he only has one year left on his contract as well.

Diehl, Baas, Snee, Locklear are all over age 30. Snee and Baas dropped off huge last year. I don't know what Locklear has in him. Diehl is ok, but the oldest in the group, and not a dominant blocker.

Booth is a career backup/spot starter. Petrus has looked solid in limited time. Brewer was inactive for most games last season.

Mitchell Schwartz, Brandon Brooks, Jeff Allen, Tony Bergstrom. Kelechi Osemele, Zebrie Sanders are all solid 2nd and 3rd round value at picks #63 and #94 respectively.

I'm not going to argue about every point, although there is a lot there I'm not seeing that apparently you are seeing, but Boothe has started an awful lot the last two seasons and whenever he's been in there the Giants have been better for it. You can't argue with what he's produced. He's more than a career backup... even if the Giants drafted Brandon Brooks tonight he'll be behind Boothe and Snee with little chance to move ahead of them unless there is an injury. Do some study of Boothe at Guard, he plays at a dominant level a lot. When he was matched up with Vince Wilfork one on one he pretty much controlled Wilfork and took him out of the game. NOBODY does that.

I have no problem with this pick. With Bradshaws foot problems they needed to bring someone in to handle some of the load. There is usually good value at rb in the middle rounds but if Reese and the Giants felt he was the right pick I won't question it. It definitely is a position of need. He handled kickoffs too including two touchdowns so perhaps he can contribute in that area as well.

I'm not going to argue about every point, although there is a lot there I'm not seeing that apparently you are seeing, but Boothe has started an awful lot the last two seasons and whenever he's been in there the Giants have been better for it. You can't argue with what he's produced. He's more than a career backup... even if the Giants drafted Brandon Brooks tonight he'll be behind Boothe and Snee with little chance to move ahead of them unless there is an injury. Do some study of Boothe at Guard, he plays at a dominant level a lot. When he was matched up with Vince Wilfork one on one he pretty much controlled Wilfork and took him out of the game. NOBODY does that.

Boothe has one year left on his deal, and will turn 30 next year. If we drafted an OL, they'd have plenty of opportunities to play immediately given the frequent injuries, and significant drop off largely due to age (Snee, Baas) etc.

You have to think long term with the draft as well. How many of these guys are going to be on the team in 2013? Beatty, Boothe, Lockear all have expiring contracts.

Snee and Baas were sub-par last year. Our RT is going to be a guy going on 32. We can definitely use the depth and bring in a guy who can eventually start.

Agreed, however I think Snee and Baas will bounce back and have big years. I like Boothe an Petrus in the run game.

We signed a vet min RT was is great in pass protection, but suspect in run blocking. Beatty is a bust IMO, Brewer has the goods.

I want an OT, wouldn't be too happy with a G unless it's Brandon Brooks.

I have no problem with this pick. With Bradshaws foot problems they needed to bring someone in to handle some of the load. There is usually good value at rb in the middle rounds but if Reese and the Giants felt he was the right pick I won't question it. It definitely is a position of need. He handled kickoffs too including two touchdowns so perhaps he can contribute in that area as well.

Why would RunIt have a problem with the team picking a running back? :smartass:

Jonathan Martin, T

• Height: 6-foot-6
  • Weight: 297 pounds
  • School: Stanford

201201241549569869525-p2.jpeg

In this photo taken Sept. 4, 2010, Stanford tackle Jonathan Martin (55) stands with teammates after an NCAA college football game in Stanford, Calif. Martin has one of the most important jobs for No. 6 Stanford: protecting quarterback Andrew Luck's blindside, and he takes that responsibility quite seriously. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma)

Scouting Report

Martin is one of the best offensive line prospects in this draft and figures to be the second Stanford player selected behind Andrew Luck. That would be fitting since Martin's second season at left tackle protecting the superstar quarterback's blind side was a resounding success as Luck was sacked only 11 times. With nothing left to prove after being named a first-team all-conference selection each of the past two years, Martin opted to bypass his senior season at The Farm. Considered one of the elite offensive tackles along with USC's Matt Kalil and Iowa's Riley Reiff, Martin has an edge over those two because he played in a pro-style blocking scheme at Stanford in front of one of the most talented pure passers in recent memory in Luck. While Kalil turned heads with a solid showing at the NFL scouting combine, his conference rival in Martin did not participate in drills due to food poisoning. Martin has impressed scouts with his smarts since he also was recruited by Harvard and has plans to attend law school after his football career is over. Those lofty post-NFL ambitions do not mask his intense competitive nature since he declared at the combine that he was a better player than Kalil. Martin could begin his NFL career at right tackle where he'd be an immediate fit, although it's clear he has the physical tools and mental makeup to succeed at the more coveted left tackle slot.

Yea I forgot.. they traded up to get him. So when Reese says Wilson was the 2nd best rated RB on his board, it means he thought Wilson was a better prospect than Martin... Fuck the Bucs.

Not necessarily, why would you have a player on your board that you are certain is going in the top 5 picks when you're picking at 32? Plus, even if you're premise is right, that Richardson was on their board, he could have had Martin AND Wilson ahead of Richardson.

But I think that Wilson was just behind Martin on their board.

Listening to sports radio down here, Mike Sullivan (our Mike Sullivan, who is now the OC for the Bucs), was talking about Doug Martin and said they really liked him and we're taking a long look at him when he was still with the Giants... of course he goes to the Bucs and they take Martin just ahead of us in a trade up. So you would think that maybe Sullivan brought some inside info to the Bucs war room that told them they should trade up just ahead of the Giants to get Doug Martin.

Nice Reese interview on Sirius XM with Pat Kirwin. Nas, you were correct, good sir. Reese spells it out in plain english that although they liked Doug Martin, they had Wilson ahead of him on their board. Basically the Bucs were bamboozled. That's alliteration, btw. So, the Giants got their guy they wanted, and 2 times in a row with Wilson and Randle, they just fell right in their laps. Reese talks about the first 3 picks:

http://siriusxmsports.posterous.com/giants-gm-jerry-reese-on-nfl-radio-with-tim-r

That is if Reese is being entirely honest.

I wouldn't expect him to come out and say: "we wanted martin, but the bucs grabbed him so we settled for wilson."

i hope hes telling the truth, but i wouldn't expect him to say otherwise.

That is if Reese is being entirely honest.

I wouldn't expect him to come out and say: "we wanted martin, but the bucs grabbed him so we settled for wilson."

i hope hes telling the truth, but i wouldn't expect him to say otherwise.

Well, in this case I believe him because when he's been asked similar questions about other players he kind of dodges it a bit. He made a strong statement in this case that he really didn't need to make. He could've just said "We had both players rated very highly..." like he's done at other times. In this case he was very definitive and said they had Wilson higher than Martin, and as I said, he really didn't need to go that far in that statement. But that he did, I think it's telling. Also, Eric over at the other place was clued in prior to the pick that Wilson was the guy, and to not say anything. Others are saying that it could've been a smoke screen but if that were the case why would Eric also have been told early in the 3rd that Jayron was the pick and indeed, he was in fact the pick. I think Eric has a good source or two in the organization (probably Pat Hanlon) and he has a good relationship with the organization. But even without him saying that, I would believe Reese on this one because he was so direct in his answer.

At least he's not big 10.

Don't get this "aging line" thing. Offensive linemen play well into their 30's. Both Baas and Snee played hurt last year, so I wouldn't hit the panic button yet.

This.

And Kevin Boothe is a heck of a player. I'd be fine with him starting.